Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I am very close to pulling the trigger on getting a DC, 4x4, TRD, 5.7. I would also order the cold weather package, that Toyota claims to add extra rust proofing. As I live in NJ we have TONS of salt dumped on the roads in the winter which kills cars/trucks.

As I am a lifelong "Toyota guy" I have done my fair share of fighting rust on Toyota's (my 87 fj-60, 79 4x4 short bed). The only surefire way to prevent rust is to move or not drive it in the winter, and I am not going to do that! I wonder how the Tundra will hold up? I am a person that tends to keep a truck for MANY MANY years! Recently I have noticed many newer model Tacoma's that have a decent amount of bed rust and rocker rust, and that makes me nervous!

Any ideas about the Tundra's ability to fight rust?

Zack

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey everyone,
I am very close to pulling the trigger on getting a DC, 4x4, TRD, 5.7. I would also order the cold weather package, that Toyota claims to add extra rust proofing. As I live in NJ we have TONS of salt dumped on the roads in the winter which kills cars/trucks.

As I am a lifelong "Toyota guy" I have done my fair share of fighting rust on Toyota's (my 87 fj-60, 79 4x4 short bed). The only surefire way to prevent rust is to move or not drive it in the winter, and I am not going to do that! I wonder how the Tundra will hold up? I am a person that tends to keep a truck for MANY MANY years! Recently I have noticed many newer model Tacoma's that have a decent amount of bed rust and rocker rust, and that makes me nervous!
Any ideas about the Tundra's ability to fight rust?
Zack
Probably nobody knows the answer to your question at this point. I had the Ziebart rust protection package on my last Tundra. No problems but it was only 4 years old. I chose not to do Ziebart on my new 07 because it's suppose to already have extra protection. If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time and are worried about rust then get the Ziebart. I don't know if it's really worth the money but it can't hurt. One good thing is they do have a warranty. They will replace/repair any body panels that rust through as long as you get the annual treatment.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably nobody knows the answer to your question at this point. I had the Ziebart rust protection package on my last Tundra. No problems but it was only 4 years old. I chose not to do Ziebart on my new 07 because it's suppose to already have extra protection. If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time and are worried about rust then get the Ziebart. I don't know if it's really worth the money but it can't hurt. One good thing is they do have a warranty. They will replace/repair any body panels that rust through as long as you get the annual treatment.

You are correct that it is toooo early to tell. I just hope it is not Toyota as usual rust!

Zack

·
Registered
74 Posts
I live in TX, and it seems almost every Tundra I saw on the lots had the Cold Kit option. Odd given it's not exactly cold here.

I guess it's so cheap ($100) it seems a no-brainer to order. I think it has a heavy duty battery and starter, "extra" corrosion protection, and heated wipers. My Tundra has this option.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Well, my new Tundra is about 2 months old and I'm already beginning to see a little rust. I guess that undercoating might have been a good idea after all. :eek:

Yes, it's a dually. Aftermarket grille and flares.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well, my new Tundra is about 2 months old and I'm already beginning to see a little rust. I guess that undercoating might have been a good idea after all. :eek:

Yes, it's a dually. Aftermarket grille and flares.
You should have got the paint protection too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts