Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched out my Sway Away's for some Icon's on my 2001 4x4 Tundra. Ever since there has been a loud clunk on the passenger side when going up a curb or turning to left with the passenger front wheel falling (off curb, into pot hole) The strange thing is that it does not always do it. For example, it will do it on the the first obstacle I hit but not the second. Any knowledge on the subject will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, DR805

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Both good questions. I have to add, how often are you driving off curbs and into potholes?:confuseda:

I would guess the ball joints aren't up to your lift height. Mine were begging for mercy for some time, it only happened on sharp jolts like speed bumps. Out in the dirt or just hitting drainage dips it didn't really make noise.

Tell us more about your set up: how tall are you cranked up? Do you run on stock upper arms? Did you do the diff drop and or cv boot clamp mod?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe that they are set at 2.5. I have a 1" spacer in the rear with 5100's, and the front is leveled to that. No diff drop, stock upper arms, and I did get the Porche cv boots since mine started throwing grease. The curb and pot hole senario was just for an example, it happens in any like situation. Thanks for all the feedback, DR805

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah you probably need aftermarket uca's. However it is interesting to note it didn't happen with the sway a ways, assuming they were cranked to same level as your icons...(were they?). IF they were, it could be the shock body rotating around the lower spherical heim joint and contacting your lower mounting tabs. To test this just grab the coil and try to rotate it back and forth to try to make contact with the tabs. If it rotates easily then this might be your culprit, as my Donahoes did this...Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Check torque on the three coil bucket bolts (~30ft#, IIRC, but better look it up...I just do it "by feel" since it's not much & I can't get a torque wrench in there anyway), upper shock bolt if eye to eye, and lower shock bolt (both 100ft# or may be different depending on bolt grade, thread, lubrication, etc).

Are the coilovers standard length, or extended length?

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
I am betting that they are extend length coilovers and your upper ball joint is screaming. I had the same problems with my 2001 when I first lifted it with SAWS. Problem went away with the Camburg uniball uppers....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe that they are the standard length coilovers. They do rotate when I grab the whole coil and turn it by hand. One thing I also noticed is that the lower control arm bushing looks pretty shot, so this may have something to do with the problem. Does having the camburg UCA's prevent the coilover from rotating in its lower spherical joint? Thanks for all the feedback, DR805.

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
I believe that they are the standard length coilovers. They do rotate when I grab the whole coil and turn it by hand.
What?!?
When you grab the coil, you can turn it by hand?
If that's the case, there's your problem. You should not be able to do that, unless you're The Hulk.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I believe that they are the standard length coilovers. They do rotate when I grab the whole coil and turn it by hand. One thing I also noticed is that the lower control arm bushing looks pretty shot, so this may have something to do with the problem. Does having the camburg UCA's prevent the coilover from rotating in its lower spherical joint? Thanks for all the feedback, DR805.

The spherical heim joint is there to allow coil rotation for better handling/performance, however you shouldn't be able to do it by hand. I was able to do it by hand on mine as well, and it would make contact with the lower mounting tabs. Sounds like this may be happening on yours as well. BE CAREFUL!!!! Mine hit with such force repeatedly that it broke the lower mounting tab, you can't replace this without replacing the entire LCA! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Look into replacing that lower spherical joint....like ASAP.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks ***** Tundra, I will look into getting this fixed asap. Does it seem to you that this is happening a little to soon since the Icons are brand new? Are the mounting tabs something that is reused or do they come new with the shocks?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
He's talking about the mounting tabs on the control arm that the bottom shock bolt goes through. They are part of the truck, not the shock.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
sounds scary. I was just messing around about the pothole to curb. Check into what you are chasing, NegroTundra knows about that issue from bad experience, he went through a lot of trouble with his front end.

On a side note, you mentioned the lower ball joint looked bad, I know my 03 had a lower ball joint recall, did the older models have such a problem?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks ***** Tundra, I will look into getting this fixed asap. Does it seem to you that this is happening a little to soon since the Icons are brand new? Are the mounting tabs something that is reused or do they come new with the shocks?
Yeah, way to soon. I wasn't surprised on mine since they were used with ~30k miles of dirt on them. Talk to Adrian at ICON, he's alot of help. Hopefully you still have stock c/o's to put back on while they take a look at your situation. Let us know what becomes of it.

I would also agree with Tundrunk and make sure your not overlooking something like your lower bj, and make sure it's not your upper uca as well. I'm really really surprised and skeptical that this issue is happening on brand new icons:confuseda:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts