Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, did I hit it out of the park or what? I traded my Taco(for a ridgeline) 2 DAYS before the crap hit the fan!! I just had a gut feeling that something BIG was going to happen to Toyota resale values.:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Re: I'ed rather be lucky than good

I wish I could tell you that it's as bad as you think, but it's not. I paid $38,000 for my 2008 Sequoia in April 2009, and was just offered $30,000 for it this weekend with 17,000 miles on it. It's officially the LEAST depreciating vehicle I've ever owned :) That's pretty amazing.

I love Hondas more than I do Toyotas, but until they make a V8, I'll never buy an SUV or a baby truck with an "H" logo on it. The Ridgeline just makes too many compromises for my needs. Best of luck to you with the new vehicle!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: I'ed rather be lucky than good

bad move, i would of kept the toy. all problems are fixable..
the ridge line although it has some cool ideas and is very versitile holds no value..in the long run!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just traded my 2007 TRD Off-Road Access Cab Standard bed w/26,300 miles (paid $26,800 new) for a new 2010 TRD Sport Double-Cab Long bed (MSRP $31,304) for an out of pocket exchange of $11,236 out the door... tax, title, everything (& in New Jersey taxes ain't cheap) :first:

& btw - did nothing but oil changes.. still had original tires, wiper blades, everything....

So you can do the math too if you'd like, but I'd say that my last Tacoma doesn't owe me anything.. :D

btw - I believe it was Napoleon who stated, that he would rather have a "lucky General" then a "good General", based on the notion that a "good General" only needs to be "unlucky" once...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I guess if you don't really need a truck and don't care too much about the looks of your vehicle, you made a great decision!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I guess if you don't really need a truck and don't care too much about the looks of your vehicle, you made a great decision!
that and your man card is missing....or even woman card for that matter. but i think my 21 month old son might like to play with a ridgeline....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like the saying goes: the bigger the truck, the smaller the drivers unit.................

·
Registered
918 Posts
I guess if that's what you use in your head to justify trading in a great truck for a poorly disguised soccer-mom-mobile, more power to you. If I had no need for what I got and it just wasn't practical anymore I'd probably just be honest with myself and pick up something like a Pilot or a Rav4. My curiosity kills me: When did you last use your midgate feature. I have seen Ridgelines and Avalanches all over the place and have never even once seen one driving around with the bed expanded to 8 feet.

When you take into account that these are great trucks despite the hype and some of us hold onto a vehicle for longer than 3 years and a few thousand miles, the importance of resale value is relative. You may feel great about your decision like you dumped a stock at the peak right before the company went bankrupt but most of the rest of us are still enjoying and loving great trucks. All of which give us decent bed space (Crewmax plus bed extender= over 6 ft bed) while still keeping the rear seat available and without allowing the outside elements into the cab.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I guess if that's what you use in your head to justify trading in a great truck for a poorly disguised soccer-mom-mobile, more power to you. If I had no need for what I got and it just wasn't practical anymore I'd probably just be honest with myself and pick up something like a Pilot or a Rav4. My curiosity kills me: When did you last use your midgate feature. I have seen Ridgelines and Avalanches all over the place and have never even once seen one driving around with the bed expanded to 8 feet.

When you take into account that these are great trucks despite the hype and some of us hold onto a vehicle for longer than 3 years and a few thousand miles, the importance of resale value is relative. You may feel great about your decision like you dumped a stock at the peak right before the company went bankrupt but most of the rest of us are still enjoying and loving great trucks. All of which give us decent bed space (Crewmax plus bed extender= over 6 ft bed) while still keeping the rear seat available and without allowing the outside elements into the cab.
Great comment.

I agree with ya, who gives a damn if the market value went down? We wont get rid of our TRUCKS and GLOAT Just because we got a very Poorly Disguised Soccer-Mom-Mobile..... Mini-FWD-Avalanche. While your getting some groceries and balls(Soccer?) we'll be enjoying our TRUCKS and Using the truck BED and TOW HITCH just a little bit more.;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Sorry, But Ridgies don't have midgates- they use the same set up as Tacos. They do however have a nifty little tampon holder in the counsel:tu: Seriously, I need a lite-duty pick up for my particular "mission", and the Taco performed "OK" just not perfect. I should have bought the Ridgeline instead of the Toyota in the first place. The Ridgelines ride and handling put ANY pickup truck to shame- including everything Toyota builds. Will other trucks out-haul and out-pull it? you betcha, but I'll put it up against any other stock light duty pickup truck in 8 inches of snow and ice on hilly suburban streets! Ergonomics are tenfold better than the Taco or any other midsize truck on the market- find one on a car lot and get in and out of it- then do the same to your Taco. If you're honest with your self- you will have to admit the Taco is, at best a young mans truck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Funny you should say something about snow. My aunts '09 Ridgeline got stuck in 9 inches of snow, and after several tries my uncle said screw it, and used his stock '08 Tacoma DC 4x4 to get her out. And by the way... northern Maine has tons of snow, hills, and icy roads. We made it through mountain passes and trails in his Taco with no problems... heck.. for gits and shiggles I even plowed through a 3' high 20' long snow pile up for fun.. and didnt get stuck...not once.
I have nothing against you in any way, shape, or form for getting a Ridgeline....but its no where NEAR as capable as a Tacoma. You want something that rides baby smooth.. .. get a car.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

Looked at the Ridgeline in 2007 when I bought my last Tundra and the Ridgeline was very nice.

The basic differences to me were ... Tundra = body on separate frame design .. or .. Ridgeline = unibody with no frame design.

The Ridgeline rode very well ... but when all is said and done ... it is what serves your needs the best.

Later, traded the Tundra in on a Tacoma (needs changed) ... and now and the Taco serves my needs the best.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts