Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I know this is a common problem with the idle control valve, the first time the cleaning trick did the job and lasted for around a year and a half but never removed the part to clean very good. So the problem started happening again and this time decided to take the throttle body off to take the complete valve off and clean good(now turns really smooth), since I had the body off I also lightly cleaned it but never soaked it or heavily sprayed it I know there are other sensors in it. Reassemble the whole thing and when started it was worse than before...at least before it would run with low RMPS and fix it self after a while, but now it just wont run unless I keep the pedal down and it dies if I remove it. I thought that this time the valve motor died for good so I took my sisters Lexus Rx that has the same part but did the same so its not the IAC, thought I damaged the electrical plug removing it but the valve turns when the ignitions is in the on position. Tried her MAF sensor nothing, I am now leaning towards the throttle position sensor ...maybe got damaged when I took the body off ??? Is this what the engine does if the TPS is bad ???. Since my sister wont let me take her TPS to try on mine cuz I have to remove the throttle body I took it to a mechanic after 3 days,he said it was the computer bad LOL...I have a friend that works at a computer repair shop and he cheeked it and said is good(I knew that!) he send me to another mechanic after a couple of days he said that the throttle body is bad!!!! ???? because he tried another body on it and started working fine but he did not tried individual sensors!!! What do you guys think ???Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
296 Posts
send me to another mechanic after a couple of days he said that the throttle body is bad!!!! ???? because he tried another body on it and started working fine but he did not tried individual sensors!!! What do you guys think ???Thanks in advance.

I assume it's a V6? If the mechanic put another TB on and it worked fine, why didn't he just leave the new TB on, charge you for it and everyone is happy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes its a 2001 V6 2WD...and the TB was not left on cuz it was from another car on the shop, he was just testing...but did not do a good job on trying to find the real problem in my opinion...he just wanted to put a whole new TB and a new one costs over $1000 I just want to make shure its not a sensor that may cost less...I just cant seem to find a trust worthy mechanic around here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I assume you checked to make sure there were no leaks, disconnected or damaged air and vacuum hoses downstream from the MAF, as that can cause it to not idle as well.

Did the mechanic end up reconnecting a hose or replacing the throttle body gasket in the process and now it magically works?

If it was a sensor failure bad enough to cause it to stall, the ECU should have thrown a code.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have an 03 tundra with a similar problem. The engine starts but when you push the gas pedal,there is no response. Any advise PLEASE!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume you checked to make sure there were no leaks, disconnected or damaged air and vacuum hoses downstream from the MAF, as that can cause it to not idle as well.

Did the mechanic end up reconnecting a hose or replacing the throttle body gasket in the process and now it magically works?

If it was a sensor failure bad enough to cause it to stall, the ECU should have thrown a code.
Yes I triple checked everything...all the hoses and the routing of them,gasket... and nothing...the mechanic that got it running told me that he swapped the whole throttle body and all from another one he had on the shop ...he never checked for individual stuff....I assume that there is something wrong besides the IAC...because it turns freely now...I was able to track a nice used whole throttle body with only 18k miles from a wrecked highlander for less than $100 so I will try that when it arrives and see if that fixes it...I am leaning towards a bad throttle position sensor but since it cost arround $60 bucks I went for the whole TB I found...keeping my fingers crossed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts