Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all who responded with ideas and facts regarding getting a smoother/ softer ride outta the old 4X4 DC....The 10 leaf Deaver rear spring packs sound like a great way to start.........but I was wondering :clown:..........:how would the stock rear suspention work if the overload springs were removed from the stock spring pack?
I mean, it would have to be done correctly.....using the right length "U" bolts, etc.
Has anyone tried this?

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has tried this?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I wouldnt recommend that. The idea of the overload spring is not only to help with a moderate load in the back, but also to keep the truck from bottoming out on the bump stops when you hit large bumps. If you remove the overload spring, you will be bouncing off the bump stops quite frequently, making your ride more harsh over rough terrain. Just a thought.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would assume proper length u-bolts come with the springs if a different length is needed.

I used a deaver aal on my tacoma rear suspension that required the removal of the overload leaf... just be mindful of the different payload weight the deavers can handle (if applicable) and don't overload your truck. You don't want to be driving around with your springs in a negative arc.

It really isn't a big deal and I would worry about it. If you do a lot of towing, however, the deavers might not be for you. BUT you could always add some air bumps to mitigate your worries of bottoming out too harshly, or add some airbags if you do a lot of towing or hauling.

There is always a way to make anything work. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts