Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone. This is my first post here, but I'm sure it won't be the last. This seems like a very useful place to visit. At any rate here's the question...

I just picked up a new 2007 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 yesterday (had to A-trade with another dealer to get it here). I was playing with the radio last night, but I wasn't able to figure out how to load another disc into the 6-disc changer. There was no "Load" button on the radio. Am I completely crazy, or is my radio in the picture really the standard single disc radio?

My Window Sticker clearly shows option package "DZ -- AM/FM/CD w/6 Disc Changer, 6 Speakers & Steering Wheel Audo Controls -- +$200.00"

I definately have the audio controls on the wheel--which I thought was only available with the 6-disc or JBL radios. Am I missing something here?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
My DZ 6-disc changer has the "load" button where your "text" button is. My "text" button is to the right of the "disc" and "scan" buttons on the lower row. Odd, since only the JBL and DZ are supposed to come with steering wheel controls. Could the factory have installed the wrong head unit and it slipped by since the appearances are so similar?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Greetings everyone. This is my first post here, but I'm sure it won't be the last. This seems like a very useful place to visit. At any rate here's the question...

I just picked up a new 2007 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 yesterday (had to A-trade with another dealer to get it here). I was playing with the radio last night, but I wasn't able to figure out how to load another disc into the 6-disc changer. There was no "Load" button on the radio. Am I completely crazy, or is my radio in the picture really the standard single disc radio?

My Window Sticker clearly shows option package "DZ -- AM/FM/CD w/6 Disc Changer, 6 Speakers & Steering Wheel Audo Controls -- +$200.00"

I definately have the audio controls on the wheel--which I thought was only available with the 6-disc or JBL radios. Am I missing something here?
That's the same radio as in my '06 ..... note the "TEXT" button on top right corner ..... the 6 Disc has a different button in its place ... check owner's manual.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My DZ 6-disc changer has the "load" button where your "text" button is. My "text" button is to the right of the "disc" and "scan" buttons on the lower row. Odd, since only the JBL and DZ are supposed to come with steering wheel controls. Could the factory have installed the wrong head unit and it slipped by since the appearances are so similar?
My 07 Double Cab DZ 6 Disk is just as sntckr describes. Could the dealer have switched your 6 Disk with a single Disk before delivery? I would be asking questions and showing them the sticker. You didn't get what you purchased. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Could have been a factory mistake, but I bet the original dealer swapped it out to appease a customer and "neglected" to pass the info on. They could have actually forgot, but it still should be corrected. If you don't really care for the 6 disc, just tell them you want a couple hundred dollars and figure you got wheel controls for free. If that radio ever quits during the warranty period, you will prob get correct unit since dealer will use VIN to order replacement.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information everyone. I don't think this was a dealer mistake (other than it would have been nice if they caught it before delivery). This truck was traded from the original dealership while it was still on the assembly line (before it had a VIN) and was only on the lot at my dealership for a couple days before I could pick it up. I think it was just a manufacturing mistake.

I did manage to take it back to my dealership yesterday, and they told me it was supposed to be a single disc player in the truck. When I showed them the window sticker though, they quickly agreed that it was "definately not the right radio". They said they were going to get in touch with some district representative on Monday to figure out how to get it replaced with the right one. So far they have been very helpful, so I will have to wait and see how they plan to resolve the issue.

The funny part is that I really wasn't all that interested in the 6-Disc changer. I was thinking about replacing the factory radio with an in-dash navigation system once I got a little more use to the truck. The part I wanted was the steering wheel audio controls (and yes...they work perfectly with the single disc radio). Since this truck was already supposed to have them with the 6-disc, I figured oh well. My main complaint was having to pay $200 for something I didn't receive. The next time I talk with them, I'll see if I can just work something out to keep the single-disc radio and maybe get part of the $200 back.

Now I'm just thinking I better check everything else on the window sticker!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for sharing the update on your issue. I am amazed that it was an assembly line mistake. So much for quality control. My guess is that Toyota will warranty you a new 6 disk radio.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for sharing the update on your issue. I am amazed that it was an assembly line mistake. So much for quality control. My guess is that Toyota will warranty you a new 6 disk radio.
In case anyone was still curious about this...

I FINALLY got my radio replaced last week. It took forever for the dealership and the regional people to work out what they wanted to do about it. I'm pretty ticked off about that part. Once they decided they would go ahead and replace the single disc radio with the correct 6-disc radio (what a surprise), they got the new one in the next day. The dealership replaced it pretty quick too. So no $200 back, but at least I have the right radio now and everything seems to be working perfectly so far.

... and if anyone out there is driving around with a free 6-disc radio upgrade... you're welcome...I suppose.

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I have not owned my Tacoma very long (less than 48hrs) and I did something men don't admit to doing sometimes. I read the owners manual:eek: . I do not remember the exact instructions but it does tell how to load the 6 disks into that single slot.
Bill

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have not owned my Tacoma very long (less than 48hrs) and I did something men don't admit to doing sometimes. I read the owners manual:eek: . Bill

Me: "Hello (standing up), my name is Jimmy"

Group: "Hello Jimmy"

Me: "I have driven Toyota pickups for 23 years."

Group: small applause

Me: "I read the owner's manual"

Group: gasp :eek:

Side note: believe it or not there is good stuff in there

Have a great day!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts