Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a used 2002 Tundra Limited 4wd Access cab and am curious as to whether anyone knows how to tell if it has the limited slip differential option, without removing the differential cover.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Look under the truck from the back, and on the rear diff, there will be a little white sticker that says "LSD - limited slip oil only" or something of that nature.

Good luck. :tu:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do a search.
I think there is more than one way depending on year and style.

I remember seeing a thread with pictures also.:tu:

·
Registered
693 Posts
My tires are sooo gone. Im about to replace them, so Im planning the meanest burn out in a parking lot somewhere.

Burnouts are FUN:)

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
as said time and time again SEARCH

multiple posts on this

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I will look at the label and also try the method of putting the whole rear end in the air and turning. Should have done that any way. The oil refill spec is why I wanted to know.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just replaced Rear Diff Fluid with Royal Purple in 2006 Limited Crew Cab 4X4, limited towing and off-road use at 87K.
It took 4 Qts. I leveled truck first, and haven't checked to see if it needs more after a road run(did not fully tighten the Fill Bolt/Crush Washer for that reason) but will report back if significantly more is needed after a couple drives.
I was kind of panicked after seeing so many claim it was nasty in theirs after 15-20K, or more, so am adding this for the Mellow Tundra Owner/Driver. Don't sweat it. Definitely good practice to replace at 50K for us, but my Stock Gear Oil in rear diff was nearly new looking. Still, no regerts!! lol
Replaced crush washers as well, will do the Transfer Case when not raining(of course it started pouring half way thru...), and will check front diff but likely won't need changing for quite some time due to lack of engagement.
By All Means, it is preferable to change it and not need to than not and blow out a gear box.

Thanks SE2000. Mine is normal diff BTW. L/S was offered as an option but not one I took.

If anyone needs 6 tubes of LUBE GARD Multi-vehicle Limited Slip Additive LXE 4 Oz Tubes, I will part with at cost paid...
DOH!

Thanks to Everyone that inputs their Knowledge and Experiences on this and other Tundra Forums.
It is of great use to the rest of Us noobs!

Peace

·
Registered
12 Posts
don't just look at the label, spin one side of the tire while it's lifted. On my 06 dc 4x4 it has a LSD sticker on the diff but when I spinned the tires it was not a lsd diff.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
There is an easy and foolproof way to check out on these trucks. Remove the fill plug on the rear end, get a flashlight out and have a look. If you have an open diff you'll see a few rings of gears in there. You'll see no gears but a cylindrical shape of you have the LSD.

I don't believe in the old spin a tire method.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just purchased a used 2002 Tundra Limited 4wd Access cab and am curious as to whether anyone knows how to tell if it has the limited slip differential option, without removing the differential cover.
I suggest go to an empty lot hold down the brake all the way and gas it till it starts doing a burn out do a little burn out to not fade out your tires too much then look at the tire marks if you left one tire mark instead of two you got limited slip

1 - 20 of 20 Posts