Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I am leaning towards buying a TRD Cold Air Intake since it draws air from the fender area like the factory intake. I have a couple questions first:
  • Do you have to cut the engine cover at all for it to fit?
  • Is there another option (black or gray) besides the red hose? I am painting the TRD and stripes on the intake box with my slate metallic touch up paint as I did my engine cover.
  • Is it true that you must take the cables off of the battery to get it working correctly with your system so it resets?
  • Those of you with dual exhaust systems, have you noticed an increase in HP and torque?
  • Have you noticed an increase in MPG?
  • Are you 100% happy with spending $375 to $400 for this mod?
Please answer what you can. Thanks for the help as usual! Tim and Ken from WWW.TRDSPARKS.COM are awesome to work with...........

·
Registered
240 Posts
When I bought mine (when they first came out) you had to cut it. From what I found out later they revised it so it comes with like little spacers to sit the cover up so you don't have to cut it.

As far as I know, you'd have to paint the intake pipe...only comes in Red.

The dealer disconnected my battery during install just so that the ECU would re-learn the addition of the intake faster(?) Whether that is true or not I don't know...but when I used to work on my old malibu I always disconnected my battery when I was doing something major in the engine bay just in case of some freak shorting accident.

I honestly didn't feel anything huge gain in my butt dyno. :)

MPG...unsure because I went with heavy wheels and tires at the exact same time so my MPG dropped a couple.

Looking back, I might have gotten something cheaper but at the time I wanted to keep the parts "toyota". I wish I knew you were looking for one...I sold mine to a mechanic at the dealership for 100 bucks after he put on the supercharger. :(

Tatsu

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What actually made you decide to sell it for $100 after buying it for at least 3x that amount?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very cool thing to do! Congrats on being able to add a supercharger!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Come on guys and gals! Don't any of you have some helpful answers to my questions.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I had to cut my engine cover, because they did not have spacers at that time. Even with spacers I would cut it again, looks way better.
You can paint red hose the way you want it, just buy a can of paint, but it comes only in red.
I do not remember if I disconnected the cables, it can be. Here is the PDF file with instructions http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PTR03-34070inst.pdf
I do not have duals, but with my Corsa I think it added some punch.
If you see the increase it will be not more than 0.2-0.5 mpg. At least i did not see much.
I believe it was worth to pay that money for quality and hassle free performance. But people will argue that you are getting enough HP for that money.
To me it is an excellent add on.:tu:

Alright, so I am leaning towards buying a TRD Cold Air Intake since it draws air from the fender area like the factory intake. I have a couple questions first:
  • Do you have to cut the engine cover at all for it to fit?
  • Is there another option (black or gray) besides the red hose? I am painting the TRD and stripes on the intake box with my slate metallic touch up paint as I did my engine cover.
  • Is it true that you must take the cables off of the battery to get it working correctly with your system so it resets?
  • Those of you with dual exhaust systems, have you noticed an increase in HP and torque?
  • Have you noticed an increase in MPG?
  • Are you 100% happy with spending $375 to $400 for this mod?
Please answer what you can. Thanks for the help as usual! Tim and Ken from WWW.TRDSPARKS.COM are awesome to work with...........

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to cut my engine cover, because they did not have spacers at that time. Even with spacers I would cut it again, looks way better.
You can paint red hose the way you want it, just buy a can of paint, but it comes only in red.
I do not remember if I disconnected the cables, it can be. Here is the PDF file with instructions http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PTR03-34070inst.pdf
I do not have duals, but with my Corsa I think it added some punch.
If you see the increase it will be not more than 0.2-0.5 mpg. At least i did not see much.
I believe it was worth to pay that money for quality and hassle free performance. But people will argue that you are getting enough HP for that money.
To me it is an excellent add on.:tu:
ZPaul, thanks for the feedback. If I pull the trigger, I am leaning towards painting the hose the same silver/gray color as on the engine cover to tie them together a bit.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: If you own a TRD Cold Air Intake, please help with a few questions! DYNOS to COME

I am currently bidding for a TRD CAI on eBay right now. Hopefully it works out, but if not I will be buying one from TRDSPARKS. I didn't get a whole lot of feedback on this thread, but I appreciate the few that did.

I plan to do 1 dyno run without it and then 1 or 2 with it. I can do 3 DYNOS for about $70; is that a fair price?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tigerking, I purchased the TRD CAI for the same reason. I did do 3 modifications: 1 cut the engine cover (had to) 2 in the middle of the hose (I think it should be called tube or pipe as it is Aluminum) what I did here was grind out the substantial molted aluminum burn through to create a smooth radius throughout. 3 there is a small diameter port hookup for the adjustable fuel regulator that appeared too restrictive and it also looked like some of the red paint occluded it some was drilled out to about 1/8". After I did this, I experience much smoother accelereation throughout the rpm band. I would occassionally experience some hesitation before. MPG decrease if I drove a little aggressive. Improved if I was on Highway. No complaints but the improvements were neglible for me. I would spend that money on lift or something that needs more improvement. IMO

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tigerking, I purchased the TRD CAI for the same reason. I did do 3 modifications: 1 cut the engine cover (had to) 2 in the middle of the hose (I think it should be called tube or pipe as it is Aluminum) what I did here was grind out the substantial molted aluminum burn through to create a smooth radius throughout. 3 there is a small diameter port hookup for the adjustable fuel regulator that appeared too restrictive and it also looked like some of the red paint occluded it some was drilled out to about 1/8". After I did this, I experience much smoother accelereation throughout the rpm band. I would occassionally experience some hesitation before. MPG decrease if I drove a little aggressive. Improved if I was on Highway. No complaints but the improvements were neglible for me. I would spend that money on lift or something that needs more improvement. IMO
Thanks for replying. How long ago did you purchase and install yours? They are saying that no cutting is involved any longer. I am not sure about the other 2 mods you did; I will have to check.

I do appreciate your advice in not buying one. I am up in the air at this time, but do have a high bid on eBay for one currently. This money I saved was actually to be used for a BullyDog, Diablo, or another reputable programmer that seem to not be coming out.

Again, thank you for your response.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have both the TRD intake and exhaust installed it myself in spring time. I used spacers provided with the intake so did not have to cut the cover. I really liked this 2 mods as I noticed the truck breathes much better better and feels quicker as well I love the light rumbling sound it makes as well. I would give this a thumbs up.
Another cool thing about the intake is that it comes with a filter that you don't have to replace as it can be cleaned. Also there is a little window guage on the intake that tells you how dirtry the filter is and when you need to clean it.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for responding......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts