Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hauled about 2000 pounds of sod for my backyard with no issue. The load dropped the ride level about 4 inches but there was no rubbing with the tires. I only drove a couple of miles and I don't think that I would want to road trip with that much weight. I just wanted everyone to know that the truck can back up the hype.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
WRONG... IMPOSSIBLE... OBVIOUSLY PHOTOSHOPPED IMAGE.

everyone knows that only 3/4ton and 1ton AMERICAN (Canadian/Mexican) MADE vehicles can haul this much.:td: :td: :td:

I guess you drove it up one of those ramp teeter tot things too:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just hauled about 2000 pounds of sod for my backyard with no issue. The load dropped the ride level about 4 inches but there was no rubbing with the tires. I only drove a couple of miles and I don't think that I would want to road trip with that much weight. I just wanted everyone to know that the truck can back up the hype.
How can you sleep at night knowing you put dirt in that bed? You're a very abusive Tundra owner!;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm glad you could haul that much, but the truck does look overloaded. I am looking at buying a Tundra, drove one today and really liked it. Also looking to get rid of my 2005 F250, but if I did haul that in my truck I'm pretty sure it would do a much better job and look much less laden.

I don't need the capacity I have currently, but if I did I don't think the Tundra would be the best for the job. Great truck, but it's capacity for the dollar cost still don't beat a diesel if you need to get the job done.

Reliability, cost of ownership, cold starting, fun, quiet, ride quality etc. make the Tundra a great truck for the right application/purpose.

I hope you continue to love the truck and good luck with the yard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad you could haul that much, but the truck does look overloaded. I am looking at buying a Tundra, drove one today and really liked it. Also looking to get rid of my 2005 F250, but if I did haul that in my truck I'm pretty sure it would do a much better job and look much less laden.

I don't need the capacity I have currently, but if I did I don't think the Tundra would be the best for the job. Great truck, but it's capacity for the dollar cost still don't beat a diesel if you need to get the job done.

Reliability, cost of ownership, cold starting, fun, quiet, ride quality etc. make the Tundra a great truck for the right application/purpose.

The only reason that I put that much weight in there is because I had only 2 or so miles to go and my guess of the weight of the load was probably low. I think it was closer to 2800 lbs. Also having a Line-X liner saved my bed.

·
Registered
548 Posts
cool. nice pic. I would have been worried that top row would have crashed right through my nice sliding rear window. with my luck, it would have.
I wanted and would rather have the 6.5 foot bed, but the 5.5 is doing alright. It still hauls my motorcycles which is the main purpose. But, when doing some spring cleanup yesterday and filling the bed with bags of leaves, and branches that came down over winter, plus some I cut, I was a little shocked how quick it filled up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
YAY!!! I have to get sod for my back yard and this just means I have no problem moving 2k worth of sod. But I only need probably 3 or 4 rolls only :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I love the Tundra and all, but 2k isn't that much....I wanta see bigger numbers!

Yeah, I had 2.5 tons in my '1/8th' ton 2006 Tundra several times. :D

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts

Looks overloaded...:confused:

As long as the suspension, drivetrain, wheels, and tires are up to it -- which they are -- I don't think it matters how it looks. I guess that's just the engineer in me...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was funny.

A cubic yard of topsoil is supposed to weigh 1 ton. So figure out about how much topsoil is in the bed of that truck and you can get an idea of how much weight is in the truck.

Assume the grass takes up a 5' x 4' area of the bed and the dirt is let's say 4' foot high. That is 80 cubic feet or 2.96 cubic yards. Now assume the rolls are 1/2 dirt (because of grass and roots) so we'll say about 1.5 cubic yards of dirt which equals 3000 pounds. That would be a rough guesstimate of the weight in the truck. Might be a little more or less depending on the grass.

And what's the rated maximum payload of the CrewMax? It's under a ton since it's the 4 door short bed. I want to say it's like 1800 lbs. including people inside the cab. Looked around and it is 1590 lbs. according to Edmunds.com. So I would say you were just a little overloaded. But it's not squatting down too low considering you are almost at double load capacity. I would suggest a trailer for anyone else wanting to try this in their CrewMax.
I do have to admit that if I had further to go then the 2 miles that I did I would have used a trailer. I paid too much to break my truck this early!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I say fillit till the front wheels come off the ground the take a little out so you can still turn:D the 5.7 is up to it, not sure about the rest of the truck havent had a chance to actually use it other then burnin rubber

·
1,770 Posts
Yeah, I had 2.5 tons in my '1/8th' ton 2006 Tundra several times. :D
so you're saying you put 5,000 lbs in a 2006 Tundra?, If so the frame is bent

I hope you meant 2,500 lbs.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Actually the truck doesn't look overloaded to me. The worst part about that load is having to do all the work to get the sod laid down in the yard. :D I am a lawn guy myself. I live just south of the Arctic Circle. Here is my lawn.

The back yard. We have since planted three trees back here. This is our lawn during the summer months. Looks a lot different at -55F during the winter.

I get this lawn by using Scott's Turfbuilder fertilizers. Scott's works as advertised. I do not have any affiliation with Scott's. Their products just seem to do amazing things for me.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
so you're saying you put 5,000 lbs in a 2006 Tundra?, If so the frame is bent

I hope you meant 2,500 lbs.
No typo. The frame is fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts