Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2000 Tundra 4 weeks ago. It has 60k miles on it but from the time I test drove it through 1200 miles I've driven thus far the transmission has always shifted hard and lunged. From 1-2 it would lunge very noticeably and would bark the tires going into 2nd sometimes. Additionally, it would never quite down-shift correctly from 3-2-1 when I would slow down for a speed bump or to pull in to a driveway. The only way I can describe it would be a delayed downshift. I would go over said speed bump then give it gas and it would downshift with a small jerk/lunge. It was driving me crazy and the transmission fluid looked brand new. I decided to do a complete flush over the course of 4 days. Each morning I drained the transmission, refilled with MaxLife then drove to work. After the 4th day I drained the transmission again in the evening, replaced the transmission filter and refilled again. I saw very little improvement after all of that. When I dropped the pan the magnets were clean and there was no sign of shavings.

This weekend I stopped by a local independent transmission shop and talked to the guy. After taking it for a spin he said that it feels like it has the wrong fluid in it. I told him what i used and he said that it was good stuff but that the transmission wasn't "jiving with it". He poured a bottle of Lubegard Friction Modifier in the transmission and told me to let it idle for a few minutes. I let it idle in his parking lot for about 10 mins while I paid ($13) and when I left it was literally like driving a different truck. It shifts perfectly up and down and didn't lunge once. I have put about 50 miles on her now and it hasn't hiccuped once. I am cautiously optimistic at this point and will report back if anything changes.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I cant recall if tundras have it, but alot of toyotas have whats called a throttle kickdown cable. It runs alongside the throttle cable itself and controls the transmission shifting, if its to far adjusted in it causes super firm shifts, to far out and you get lackluster shifts. It works off fluid pressure iirc.

Course, it could also need a flush.

·
Registered
55 Posts
im going to try this out because the first this happens to me when im was going downhill the truck shifts down too fast and i ended up kissing the stearing wheel

·
Registered
756 Posts
im going to try this out because the first this happens to me when im was going downhill the truck shifts down too fast and i ended up kissing the stearing wheel

That is engine braking and is normal in the 05. It keeps your truck from upshifting while driving down hill. Very helpful while towing. You might want to leave it alone. Just my .02

·
Registered
756 Posts
No problem Dude, that's what this site is for. I was amazed at how much info is in the manual. You should check it out, I think you'll be surprised. It's actually a pretty good read... back to the topic...sorry...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: clunk when initially moving forward

i have a noise that i can hear in the front end when initially starting out.

shop #1: took it to toyota and they greased both ends of the drive shaft $25

shop #2: told me the center drive shaft support had too much play and replaced for $250

now what....I still have a clunk noise and am worried.

please help dx

2001 tundra, SR5, 4.7, 4WD, 116,000 miles

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
it is probably your rear diff. i had a clunk and it took changing the rear fluid and 80% of a bottle of LSD additive. then going hard left in a circle 5-6 times and hard right in a circle 5-6 times and i've never had the noise again.

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Tundra DC
61 Posts
I may try that if it continues to work for you. Sometimes at a stoplight, after a few seconds sitting still it will down shift. Feels like someone nudging my rear bumper. Ive ignored it thus far, but now that you mention a similar problem I should probably address it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
does it make the same noise in 4wd? i have seen this same issue when the front diff bushings get soft, put a pry bar under the diff and see if you can replicate the noise. also remove the front drive shaft to see if that isolates the problem and then remove the rear on and try it in 4wd. best of luck.

2000 tundra trd, 4x4, 180000, spectra cold air intake, flowtech headers, 2.25" custom catless duals with a xpipe and super 44s

1 - 10 of 10 Posts