Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local parts guy, ya the one who said my cap was "farmer", sells tires.

I told him I'd like a tire that would be good on road and off road.

He said "Your truck won't be any good off-road because it has IFS"

Of course this got my hackles up, because many of the good people at TS have taken their trucks off-road successfully without switching front ends.

My F-150 had IFS and it did pretty well off-road, because it isn't always necessary to have huge articulation, and common sense can steer you away from things beyond the truck's limits (like carving your box into a pretzel because of a rock).

I've gone easy on my Toyota so far, mostly because the factory tires were crap and I didn't want to scratch up my pretty truck. Use and abuse has already put scratches on it, and a few dents too.

So when I get the new tires, I'll start playing bit.

There was an episode of TRUCKS! Back when Stacey David was still at the helm, where he showed a really nice set of tires that were quiet on road, agressive off-road, and not extremely expensive. I wish I had taped those shows.

So for those of you who have pushed their IFS Tundras, let me know.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

Of course this got my hackles up, because many of the good people at TS have taken their trucks off-road successfully without switching front ends.

My F-150 had IFS and it did pretty well off-road, because it isn't always necessary to have huge articulation, and common sense can steer you away from things beyond the truck's limits (like carving your box into a pretzel because of a rock).

I've gone easy on my Toyota so far, mostly because the factory tires were crap and I didn't want to scratch up my pretty truck. Use and abuse has already put scratches on it, and a few dents too.

There was an episode of TRUCKS! Back when Stacey David was still at the helm, where he showed a really nice set of tires that were quiet on road, agressive off-road, and not extremely expensive. I wish I had taped those shows.

IFS can hold its own off road. yes, SAS is the best option for articulation, but not everyone wants to spend that much. The best ideas to improve the setup up front, are to go with coilovers and keep them adjusted to 1.5" to 1.75" of lift where they flex much better than cranked all the way up to 2.5, and a set of aftermarket upper control arms will add more travel. Depends also what you mean by "off roading". Rocks, and other terrain such as that requires good articulation. Mud is where ground clearance is more important, and a spacer kit and good tires does perfect.

No matter what, a good set of tires will take you farther than what you may think. I mostly just find myself in mud, logging roads, and forest trails and i think the spacer lifts are perfectly fine. If i was out west in the desert, or crawling rocks, and having to deal with a heavy bumper/winch then yes id definitely not be using spacers. It all depends on what you plan on doing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an IFS rig and a solid axel rig... both have their advantages and disadvantages off road.

IMO, unless you're rock crawling or running a more extreme lift that'd chew up your front CV joints IFS is fine. Some of the best offroad rigs I've driven haven't been much more than glorified farm trucks.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Ha! Just tell him to look at the CORR trucks. Oh you know, those trucks with 800 horsepower that fly around....offroad. I'm pretty sure that many desert racers are IFS. IFS can go very far. Just ask DevinSixtySeven; he probably has the most cabable IFS set up on this site. And he drives it hard too!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
if i were you, i'd turn the tables on this guy. He seems like he says stuff just to make you start thinking as its working....Whats he drive? make some comment to him that makes him say what? is that true? get back at him and make him ponder.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i were you, i'd turn the tables on this guy. He seems like he says stuff just to make you start thinking as its working....Whats he drive? make some comment to him that makes him say what? is that true? get back at him and make him ponder.
Its funny you should mention that, because also said my truck wasn't high enough to go off-road, that his 2wd Dodge 1500 was higher.

I told him "I don't think so, take a closer look"

He walked up, and agreed that my front end might be higher because he had something plastic under the bumper.

I said "Yep, now come look at them from the side"

He said that the floor of the truck to the ground was higher than his Dodge, but that his truck had been lowered.

I just shook my head and said "You really should take a look before making comments, because when I got my Tundra it had the highest ground clearance of all stock 4x4s, plus those are factory height tires"

Makes me wonder if he just likes to aggravate me.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IFS can hold its own off road. yes, SAS is the best option for articulation, but not everyone wants to spend that much. The best ideas to improve the setup up front, are to go with coilovers and keep them adjusted to 1.5" to 1.75" of lift where they flex much better than cranked all the way up to 2.5, and a set of aftermarket upper control arms will add more travel. Depends also what you mean by "off roading". Rocks, and other terrain such as that requires good articulation. Mud is where ground clearance is more important, and a spacer kit and good tires does perfect.

No matter what, a good set of tires will take you farther than what you may think. I mostly just find myself in mud, logging roads, and forest trails and i think the spacer lifts are perfectly fine.
I think logging roads and mud trails would probably be all I'd tackle.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Makes me wonder if he just likes to aggravate me.
Yes he does. He's probably one of those guys that always says things that make him feel all high and mighty. He's got to better you; he can't be wrong.

Find a different parts guy.....

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes he does. He's probably one of those guys that always says things that make him feel all high and mighty. He's got to better you; he can't be wrong.

Find a different parts guy.....
Its a strange way to do business, most people would just sell you whatever you asked for.

I wanted tires for off-road and street, and he suggested ProComp Radial All Terrains. As street tires go, they look fine, but not really an off-road tire.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Its a strange way to do business, most people would just sell you whatever you asked for.

I wanted tires for off-road and street, and he suggested ProComp Radial All Terrains. As street tires go, they look fine, but not really an off-road tire.
if your going into logging roads and mud then look at some tires like the cooper ST's, Jetzon trailcutter RT (i love them), goodyear AT/S, Sport King A/T, and just search some of the top brand companies and see what you like.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

next time you see him be like, hey you cant take that off road its only 2wd.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I suspect he is correct in that the straight axle has an advantage off road but IFS rides much better on road. As somebody said, each has an advantage. I have owned my current 2wd Tundra for 5 years this November but prior to that I owned 25 years of 4wds and definitely found the straight axles to be more durable, simple, etc., although they were sure rougher on the highway. But that doesn't mean you cannot have any fun off road with IFS. Just depends on how far you want to go. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if your going into logging roads and mud then look at some tires like the cooper ST's, Jetzon trailcutter RT (i love them), goodyear AT/S, Sport King A/T, and just search some of the top brand companies and see what you like.
I've search a few of those, what size are you running?

The benefit of the Procomps is you buy 3 get 1 free, not sure when that offer is over.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
So that works out to a 32 inch tire.

I hate the search tool, so I'll just ask.

Can you go up to 33s without a lift?
yes they are a 32" tire. umm i believe 255/85/16s will work without any lift, however you will have to do some trimming.

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
Ive had my truck in some nasty areas at all different stages of it's life and lifts. I haven't had any issues. The Tundra is just fine.

I have been in places asking questions and some [email protected]$$ says something to the effect that the Tundra isn't tall enought, doesn't have enough power, not enough articulation, whateer, then I point to it out the window and say, Excuse me?

They shut the F up right then and there.

When I was lookin for 35" tires and told the guy they were going on a Tundra he said they won't fit no matter what lift I had, I got the tires and went back just to prove a point, he swallowed his words and asked what lift it was, I told him to check the internet and figure it out on his own.

There are a ton of dumbos out there, just ignore them and move on. this is a good reason to start looking elsewhere for your parts.

The nitto terra graplers and the bfg ATs are good tires for on and off road. especially if you are going to be on fire roads or graded trails. Neither one are very good in the mud but can hold their own as long as it's not gumbo sticky mud. if it's soupy, then they work just fine.

take it easy and just start getting your stuff from Gary at Wheeler's Off-Road.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
For what you plan on doing IFS is better. Solid axle is only good for articulation and rock style off-roading. Everything else is better with IFS. The ride is smoother and logging roads don't have that big of rocks or stuff that you would need the Solid axle. Granted the solid axle is stronger and has fewer components to break but the IFS is great.

Oh and tell that guy he is an idiot and I would shop somewhere else from someone who is knowledgeable about vehicles and off road on road capabilities.

The IFS above looks a little funny due to the large drop down lift you see.

IFS

Solid Axle

1 - 20 of 34 Posts