Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Rock Warrior
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
So due to the pandemic, I don’t go anywhere. I did last night, never checked the fuel, so I ran out.
Put gas in, started, ran tougher than sandpaper across my backside. Let it set over night, still the same. I am thinking fuel filter ate some junk...where is that beast located on a 2011 Rock?
TIA

·
Registered
97 Posts
Take an air hose an lighty blow back through the filter, and never go below 1/4 tank again. I doubt your truck is that old to have such debris on the bottom but anything is possible. Try this simple thing, if it works, then replace your filter and move on.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Not trying to get into a pissing match with you Datzen but I think the notion of going below quarter, running too low etc. is an old wives tale. I couldnt imagine how many people run out of gas on a daily basis all over the world. It probably happens way more than you would ever think, even with the big light on the dash that never used to be there years ago. Point is if running your tank empty really did fry pumps or clog them up that quickly I think manufacturers would have fixed that problem by now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Everybody has there opinion, It's all good. Do you know why they put the fuel pump in the tank? To keep it cool. You can run it down to nearly empty all you want and it will probably last forever, but I just choose not to put it through any stress. It's not about picking up dirt, there shouldn't be that much in there in the first place, plus you have a strainer on the pump. So I'm not saying you can't run empty, "I" just choose not to. Also instead of focusing on needing gas when I'm empty, I focus on 1/4 tank For the reason of "Shit I have to fly out and grab something at store ect,...........but dam I have to get gas to get there." I'm just always prepared. So not a bad thing, more of a choice.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Technec- Glad to hear its all good again. And nice work coming back and saying it resolved itself. Too often someone comes on here with a problem but never come back with the fix.
Datzen- I saw your thread where you tore down your Tundra right to the frame so obviously you're pretty handy around cars. I always wondered if the pump shuts off while still fully submerged, or if it goes bone dry before the float drips. I dont know what you did with the fuel tank out of that truck you pulled apart, but if you ever have time to do a myth busters type experiment, maybe you could see what really happens inside the tank when it runs out? And maybe try it with water so you dont torch yourself. LOL.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I sold the tank for $20, nothing wrong with it pump ran strong. I did not look inside, but can tell you there is a screen to prevent someone from siphoning, not a plastic ball like some think. There must be a baffle system inside that prevented me from getting all the gas out the filler by holding tank over a bucket. It was a full tank, I popped the screen out and siphoned at least 15 gallons out of it. Lawnmower is set for the summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts