1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Seems like the airbag never fully deployed. Looks like the Tundra did well and after looking at the integrity of the cab I would feel safe driving aroung in a Tundra.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Has anyone seen this yet?
IIHS-HLDI: Toyota Tundra
Not to bad IMO.
A bit of a reversal from the government tests, as predicted, which showed the Tundra below the Silverado. Looking below it looks like our Tunny is leaning towards number 1 in safety once side test are done, very good news:tu: for Tundra owners, major kick in the crotch for Silverado/Sierra owners:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Note that the Silverado is for the older model year not the redesigned one, so jury is still out on that one.

That being said my understand is the goevernment hasn't tested the DCs yet, and this was based on the DC. Or did I miss somewhere and they've gotten around to testing those now?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Note that the Silverado is for the older model year not the redesigned one, so jury is still out on that one.

That being said my understand is the goevernment hasn't tested the DCs yet, and this was based on the DC. Or did I miss somewhere and they've gotten around to testing those now?
Yea, in a post on TS if you look hard enough. Corrected: Looking at the IIHS site it does show 01-06 for Silverado, not sure why it says 2007 in the report above..

Hang on, update at IIHS-HLDI: Chevrolet Silverado 1500

The 2007 Sierra 1500 is rated but it's the carryover from '06, confusing, so you're right, new one not yet tested

Previous years show Tunny on top as well:

IIHS-HLDI: Large pickups - Earlier Models

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A bit of a reversal from the government tests, as predicted, which showed the Tundra below the Silverado. Looking below it looks like our Tunny is leaning towards number 1 in safety once side test are done, very good news:tu: for Tundra owners, major kick in the crotch for Silverado/Sierra owners:

And if you notice the little numbe 2 above the front rating on the tundra here's what that means:
Two tests of this vehicle were conducted, one by the Institute and the other by the vehicle manufacturer as part of frontal crash test verification. Ratings are based on both tests.

It gives you a little extra security knowing this test was done twice by two different companies with the same results. :tu:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Excellent results. This test is a far better indicator of what happens in a crash because of the offset nature which does a lot of damage to the frame.

HOWEVER, speaking of the government results, I wonder how many people actually looked at those numbers? I think the chest deceleration numbers tell you something about the crash rating. The frame may be too stiff up front and not crumpling sufficiently to absorb energy in the event of a crash. So depending on how fast you're going, you may be better off since the crash test is only done at one particular speed.

Also, the best solution for a crash scenario is crash avoidance. A good driver will always benefit from a better handling vehicle because there is a chance that he can avoid the crash. (plus the Tundra comes with ESC standard)

Head injury: 476/486, below 5% chance of seriously injury (<10% 5stars)

Chest injury: 47/46, just below the 10% line if you doom-in to see it.
(<10% 5stars)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I noticed that test was with a 4.7. I'm assuming those of us with the 5.7 should be even a little safer up front with that huge motor guarding us.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I find it interesting that this thread doesn't seem to be raising as much interest as the NHTSA results. Hmmmmmmmmm........... Nay sayers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure would be nice to see a side crash test for these trucks to see if the Tundra's B pillar construction and some competitors lack of a B pillar would show a difference.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
these test are decent I want to see side crash data since I myself had a side intrusion that totalled my first Tundra :eek: :eek:

I know the bumpers on the 2007 are lower to meet 2009 requirements for passenger car's and somehow that showed up on some bad area's of improvement on the new tundra but it's not too bad ...

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the Tundra only got 4 stars not 5 in the front crash tests? Was that a different test?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Please bash me if I'm wrong, but I prefer the 00-06 Tundra results. Just concerned about the head acceleration/injury difference. Was this just due to bottoming out the airbag?:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts