Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as what to do. I bought my 06 Tundra 2 months ago now and absolutely love the truck. It is a black 6cyl access cab SR5 6spd manual with every option available. It strangely has many options that are far beyond SR5 trim, especially in the 6cyl model. This makes me think that the truck was custom ordered. I added tint all around and a c4 hitch. The truck is really quick for what I used to think could be slightly underpowered until I did the math. Roughly 17/1 power to weight ratio versus 16.3/1 on the Tacoma prerunner dc (keep this in mind versus the 4cyl Tacomas that are no better than 19/1 ratio and only get worse from there on). It only weighs 4170 vs 3845 of my brothers taca dc and is quicker from a roll, just a little slower from dead stop due to low 1st gear.

As I sit here, my surgically repaired left ankle is swollen about twice the size of my other. I've been driving my wife's Liberty to work for the last few weeks due to the Tundra's clutch causing my ankle to flare up after a few days of hardcore city driving. Its been 6 years since I had the surgery done, and have driven quite a few manual tranny cars since. It didn't start bothering me until I drove it for about 2-3 weeks straight. I feel like such an idiot. I love my truck, but can't even drive it for more than 2 days without a major flare-up. And on top of it, I feel as if I'm inconveniencing my wife.

I just wish I knew what to do at this point. I was thinking of trading back for a taco prerunner 05+, but afraid i'll lose my *** on trade-in. My wife thinks we should wait a year or two, but I think the value vs what I owe will only increase in gap if I wait longer. After I bought my truck, both my brother in law and father in law decided to buy a Toyota truck and both bought the Tacoma double cab prerunner. I've driven them both, and like my Tundra better for several reasons, so I would hate to do it. But the chances of finding a 05-06 Tundra w/ v6 auto are slim to none. Unless I could find someone to trade me or sell outright(like that would ever happen). I dunno, I just wish there was an easy answer or solution. Just sucks, cause we got married 3 weeks ago and are a little broke from the wedding and honeymoon, so we're really not in a position to make a rash decision. Btw, I owe $23K flat and the approx value is $21.5K-$22.5K retail.

I dunno, anyone else had to deal w/ a fubar'd situation like this? I'd appreciate any input or suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I can relate somewhat. I have not been able to drive a manual shift for sometime now, because of a "bum" knee. My dad laughs when I say that, but its true.

I had to sell a manual shift car (Acura) I had because of it. It (pain) went away, until I had to drive my dads Nissan truck (manual) about three years ago and the pain returned.

Sounds like you have a tough decision to make... sounds like if you trade it in, you may be @ a loss. I think the arrival of the 07's redesigned is that lowered the value to much on the 06's- what- with all of those discounts at the end of the year.

Does your wife dislike the Tundra, or would she be able to just start driving it instead and you drive the Liberty? Thats one option..... I think the other option would be take the loss and maybe buy a older automatic Tundra/Tacoma. Last option would be to live with the sore ankle- which I know you do not want to do, because I can only imagine how painful it can be.

Good luck.... hope your ankle recovers quickly.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I can relate somewhat. I have not been able to drive a manual shift for sometime now, because of a "bum" knee. My dad laughs when I say that, but its true.

I had to sell a manual shift car (Acura) I had because of it. It (pain) went away, until I had to drive my dads Nissan truck (manual) about three years ago and the pain returned.

Sounds like you have a tough decision to make... sounds like if you trade it in, you may be @ a loss. I think the arrival of the 07's redesigned is that lowered the value to much on the 06's- what- with all of those discounts at the end of the year.

Does your wife dislike the Tundra, or would she be able to just start driving it instead and you drive the Liberty? Thats one option..... I think the other option would be take the loss and maybe buy a older automatic Tundra/Tacoma. Last option would be to live with the sore ankle- which I know you do not want to do, because I can only imagine how painful it can be.

Good luck.... hope your ankle recovers quickly.
Wow, it is wierd to hear from someone whom has experience with this situation. I can walk, even jog a few days a week and go to the gym with no problems. Its just the excess stress the clutch action puts on the leg that causes the problems. I could imagine if it was my knee, it would be same deal, different location.

She doesn't mind driving it at all, in fact she had a manual tranny car for 3yrs before it was totaled in a crash last year. She's an RN and working towards getting a research position this year. That means she'll be on the road alot, and if she doesn't get a company car, she'll likely need the auto tranny jobber to scoot around town to different outpatient centers daily. That's my other concern with that scenario.

Living in pain is not an option. Since I only believe in living once (regardless of de ja vu experiences), and living it right, I will not suffer for the good of saving a few $.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
369 Posts
. . . Since I only believe in living once (regardless of de ja vu experiences), and living it right, I will not suffer for the good of saving a few $.
Not saying you should do nothing or just tolerate unnecessary pain, but be really careful how you evaluate your needs there newlywed. Just offering a friendly reminder that financial stress is one of the biggest causes of today's broken relationships. If the new Mrs. suggests waiting a year or two, it sounds like she's also willing to "sacrifice" a little by swapping vehicles, if needed, to help you out. If you're essentially broke at the moment and run out to get another vehicle, throwing away a significant portion of the initial investment and bucks spent on the subsequent mods, you won't help her feel warm and fuzzy about future financial security.

Good luck rehabbing that ankle :tu:, but meanwhile keep an eye on that value vs. indebtedness gap.

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
I'm sorry that your ankle continues to give you grief Cosmo459sx. What about an ankle brace to limit the range of motion in your ankle while using the clutch? I googled "ankle brace" and got a few zillion hits. Here's one that sells running shoes with ankle support. If you have medical insurance, you might get some advise from your orthopedist on setting up delayed PT, and fitting a brace. I think that you should try to hang onto your truck, but heath comes first. Just a thought.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Those last two responses really make sense. I don't want to start off the marriage on the wrong foot. That is my main priority. :tu:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would also talk to the new Mrs., she may just enjoy driving the truck, this would be the best of all situations, then you keep the truck in the family, and don't have to buy a new vehicle. One time I had to switch vehicles with my at the time new wife, and she didn't want to switch back whent he time came. It took a few days, and some good negotiations, to get my beloved truck back.

Best of luck with the ankle, truck and wife.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Have you thought about seeing another doctor about your ankle? What you are going through is NOT normal! There is clearly something wrong with your ankle! Go to another doctor!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts