Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some food...got my wife and little girlwith me parked by a local horsetrack to watch fireworks and it's so packed I hopped a curb to park by other trucks in the grass but because of the rain we got from the hurricane I get stuck in a mud hole. It's past the lip of my rear wheels.

I tried rocking it but didn't want to get stuck worse. Luckily for me the guy next to me is in his tow truck so at least after the fireworks I'm getting out. :)

this does it for me....I've been toying with the idea of trading it in on a 06 4x4 and this is finally pushing me to make the move it's just so hard to find a 4x4 let alone one with low miles.

Anyway happy 4th everone!!!!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
you'll find the one you want. i remember way back when i was going to purchase my second car and i decided to get a used one. my dad said something to me that i still remember and i still go by. he said "son, the more you look, the more you'll find something you like better." good advice that has served me well. let the search begin! :tu::tu:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats no good. enjoy the fireworks anyway. good luck on the 4x4 hunt. It is nice to have when needed.
yeah fireworks were great....we just got back. Had to go get her washed up....she sure does clean up good!! :D

I feel your pain man, had my own trouble last Xmas. Glad you got it out, good luck in your search for that 4x4.
of all the spots for me to choose. 2 other cars got stuck too....the tow truck getting me out almost got stuck. he didnt have 4 wheel drive either. It took him awhile to get me out, im just glad to be home safe and sound!

you'll find the one you want. i remember way back when i was going to purchase my second car and i decided to get a used one. my dad said something to me that i still remember and i still go by. he said "son, the more you look, the more you'll find something you like better." good advice that has served me well. let the search begin! :tu::tu:
Sounds like a smart man! ;) I'll take my time....sooner or later i'll find one (fingers crossed)

Im attaching a picture of the little puddle. Its from my crappy phone so its not that good but you can see I was definitely stuck. :td: And that spot was deep from some other guy that almost got stuck, so he made it worse for me. After about 10 secs of spinning the tires I stopped.

Oh well it was a fun and memorable night, thats for sure...oh and it was my wifes 27th bday, born on the 4th of July. :beavbutt:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
If you had only got a lift kit and big tires like the rest of us, this wouldn't have happened. You just HAD to go street truck. :D

It does suck to get stuck in mud, especially if you have the other half with you. Good luck finding what you need, have you considered just getting a locker or LSD and putting some tires on your truck? That's a clean ride, I'd hate to part with it if it were mine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
it may not be stylish but I've always had the habit of putting aggressive tires on the rear of a 2wd truck (and all 4 on a 4x4)

In my experience a 2wd with grippy tires and an LSD is more capable or at least as capable offroad than a 4x4 with close treaded street tires. Tires, tires, tires make a rig that might see anything less than pavement. Remember AT or MT tires might be a mild annoyance onroad but a street tire offroad is absolutely worthless.

You can spend the $$$ on buying a different 4x4 truck, but if you put low pro tires on it and big "rims' you'll be right back where you started only it'll be more embarrassing because you'll be stuck in the grass with a 4x4

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree w/ getting different tires. Im getting my Bilsteins 5100s / AAL put on this Friday so for now Im keeping my 4x2 just because I have some money into it and dont want to loose money right now. Ive been doing some research after tundrunks reply and I think Im going to get a arb air locker, its around $400 more than a LSD but from everything ive read about it its worth it.

Im not that knowledgeable about offroad tires etc. so if yall can help me out Id appreciate it. For now Im keeping my 20" wheels and Im going to get a set of 33x12.50x20 Kumho road venture mt tires. Is there any advantage of going w/ a 17" or 18" wheel w/ a 33x12.50 tire? I know I'll have a taller sidewall going w/ a smaller diameter wheel but traction wise will it help me out with having a taller sidewall?

Im not doing any serious offroading but I want the piece of mind that if I ever need to go off of the pavement and though grass, gravel, sand or a little mud I'll make it though.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I think the added sidewall would only help if you needed to air down or just to protect those rims like Erki said. Aside from that there is the price difference in tires, but I assume if you went with 17s that would require buying 17" rims. Either choice would be beneficial for you.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 4th is coming back to haunt me. LOL

Rewind to July 2nd....Ive noticed for a few weeks every once in awhile one of my front caliper was sticking so I took it in to Toyota to replace under warranty. I also had them replace the front rotors and pads and they cleaned and adjusted the rear drums too.

Now fast forward to the 4th, I got stuck, I got out BUT a couple of days later I noticed a loud dragging / scrapping sound coming from the rear. I took it back to Toyota on July 8th and they put it on the lift and the guy said take a look at this. My parking brake bracket was bent....so I guess when the tow truck was trying to lift and pull me out of the mud with the "T" bar he bent it. The Toyota tech said my rear brakes were dragging since the bracket was bent and or it was the backing plate that was making that sound. They said they would fix the bracket but because it was dragging I might have damaged my rear drums. So I waited about an hour and he told me the drums were fine it was just the bracket and they bent it back so its all fixed.

Tonight Im driving w/ the rear window down and I head the sound again but not nearly as loud. I mainly hear it when im going over a rough bump or Im coming around a corner and the sound is there whether im using my brakes or not.

Im taking it back Monday but does anyone know what it could be??

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Keep your current (rare) wheels, and get different truck. I always buy 4x4 trucks (even in FL). I have deep 6 with yokohoma street tires and truck does wonders in cases like yours.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep your current (rare) wheels, and get different truck. I always buy 4x4 trucks (even in FL). I have deep 6 with yokohoma street tires and truck does wonders in cases like yours.

I wish I couldve found a 4x4 to begin with but theyre hard to find in my area. They pop up every now and then but when they do theyre being sold from individuals not the dealer. At the time I needed a dealer since I was doing a trade-in.

Id hate to sell now because I have the bumper to bumper warranty and I know the history of my Tundra. Most trucks in Houston RACK up the miles since youre always on one beltway or another and you can drive an hour+ and still be in Houston. :p I know even w/ high miles they last forever but the bumper to bumper gives me a piece of mind.

Id really like to have a local shop do the 4x4 conversion....if I can find all the parts Im know it can be done for under $4K. I wish I had the technical skills or frieds w/ the skills to do that. I havent even started looking just something Im thinking about.......

I found this thread today, if only I had the skillls. I know its not a '05-'06 but I think he found all the parts for around $1500 or maybe it was the other member that was doing the 4x4 conversion too. Jwbenninger made it look SO easy. :rolleyes:

Tundra 4wd conversion - YotaTech Forums

EDIT:

Forgot to add....I did a KBB value on my Tundra and it was in the mid $19K (wishful thinking, I know). But I did a search on eBay and Autotrader and most are going for $15K, so Id loose $2K thats IF I can sell it for that. Id be cheaper to go that route than doing the conversion. I did list my Tundra on craigslist today for $19.9K LOL. We'll see if anyone bites. Anything around $17K Id be good to go!!

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I love this picture especially

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hope things get better for ya man. either the truck gets fixed or it sells and you find a 4x4

Thanks! I swear if its not 1 things its another. LOL Makes life interesting I guess......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
.....In my experience a 2wd with grippy tires and an LSD is more capable or at least as capable offroad than a 4x4 with close treaded street tires.....

I agree 150% Krochus and others. A more aggressive tread on an off road tire with locking/limited slip differential (We always called it "Posi-traction" when I was growing up) is key -- you need both rear tires spinning together. This is as crucial as 4WD -- you really need them both working together.

Another benefit my dad taught me that a long time ago living here in Duluth, MN..... Have good tires and locking differential because most of the time when you hit slippery areas or snow drifts you won't have 4WD engaged. Usually with both wheels spinning one of them will find traction.

That's one of the things I make sure of on the window sticker when i'm shopping for a truck -- some typed of LSD, Locking Differetial, or Posi-traction; whatever you want to call it, you want the feature where both rear wheel s spin!

RCsTundra: I bet you would not have gotten stuck there if you had Locking Differential. And if you also had 4WD you probably could have engaged it and drove out even if you had gotten caught up in there......

Mike

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Dude, don't waste any more money on your 2WD putting a locker on there!! It's not going to add value to your truck and won't do much with out AT tires in addition. I don't know what the mileage on your truck is but if its under 50K you should have no problems getting $17 or $18k for it, especially with those sweet rims you have on there. That's always a selling point for me anyway because it's the best way to make your truck stand out... Your Tundra is definitely a really nice looking truck but it sounds like you need the security of 4wd.

If it's hard to find a 4wd in Texas then you should consider coming to Colorado to get one. No one drives 2x4s here... Check out the Denver Craigslist, there are currently 275 tundras on there and most are 4wd, and if you get a TRD you'll have the locking diff and will never get stuck again... and you won't ever be afraid of a little mud... in fact, you might get in it on purpose just cause you can... and then you'll be the guy pulling out all the 2bys on a rainy 4th of July...:cool: God bless America!... and 4WD!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts