Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks...during my absence, I traded in the 03 Limted Tundra and I went with an 07 Silverado Classic and I think I made the biggest mistake of my life.

I don't want to start a bashing thread so I'll just say this...I have an opprtunity to get $26K for the Chevy (7 months old w/11500 miles - I paid $27K for it before TTL and extra warranty) and $2K off a SR5 Tundra DC 4x4 which would bring the price of it to $31500.

I have a couple of questions for you folks who own them out there:

1. My biggest question - I do use my trucks for hunting which means that I do use them for off-road use. The majority of the off-road use is on gravel secondary roads and occasionally fire lanes (two-tracks at crawl speeds)...would I really need the TRD package? I have been told that the only difference between the SR5 and the TRD is the bilsteins, tires, fog lamps, and sonar? My thoughts - probably don't need it since 90% of my driving is on-road 30 miles one way to work and back. My Silverado is Z-71 off road and it vibrates and is stiff. My limited was TRD and it rode decent (better than the Silverado) but not as smooth as the 07 SR5 I drove...I guess my main issue is - do I really need the TRD for fear of blowing a shock on a gravel road or is there really no difference in the ride of an SR5 and TRD on the 07 models (there are no TRD's within 300 miles to try and I would hate to order something that I wouldn't like)?

2. Fog lamps - does anyone know if the holes in the bumper will accomodate something aftermarket like a set of PIAA's since the SR5 doesn't have fog lights as an option?

3. Rear window defroster - is this only available on the CrewMax? I have been told by the dealer that Toyota is only making certain production runs of vehicles and this won't be available for awhile. It snows quite a bit up here and it would be a nice option.

4. XM Radio - is this available to order on SR5 models? I couldn't tell by the website and of course the dealer is telling me that it is cheaper to have one installed locally but I am not sure I want to have the XM on the dash as I am used to having an XM capable radio now.

They are really trying to get me to buy on that they have on the lot at another one of their dealerships and the salesman is driving me down there tomorrow to look at it. It is basically everything I want, even the color, but it doesn't have the XM, rear window defroster, fog lights, and of course, the whole TRD matter.

If I do order one, then they want to knock $1K off the trade because it will take 6-8 weeks to order and my mileage will be higher. However, it would be nice to get one that no one else has tested the limits of the 5.7L engine on and I am thinking that this may just be a chance to check out the color on before I commit.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated...thanks, M1

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Well, can't answer all, but IF You think you might want the TRD pkg, It is not much money if You were already going to get the deep tint/rear slider, and the Factory installed 18" alloys as these are the 2 most expensive items included in the TRD that most buy anyway. You will then have the fog lamps, and even if you upgrade to Piaa's or similar, you could sell your factory lamps to a member here. Most trucks are partially pre-wired for the lamps, just minus switch and relay which over the counter could cost a C note or more. The shocks/struts will be of a better quality, you may or may not like the ride as well, but I'm about 99% sure you will have no complaints. Study some more, drive a few, and get what you want.

EDIT: Don't want to start trouble, but if you do get a TRD, remove the rear quarter (TRD)emblems, they look so much cleaner that way:devil: I just had to stir that pot................

EDIT again: DO NOT buy the one off the lot and get home and regret it. Then again, it may be the one you want.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I hunt as well and I have the off-road in the Tacoma and got it because it has the locking diff. It rides quite rough.

As you said there's not much included in the off road on the tundra and I wouldn't bother with it if I was getting one.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I hunt as well and I have the off-road in the Tacoma and got it because it has the locking diff. It rides quite rough.

As you said there's not much included in the off road on the tundra and I wouldn't bother with it if I was getting one.
I'm with bennicde on this one. Based on your specific mission profile I don't think the TRD may be worth it. And all SR5's come with 18" alloy wheels as a base so you'll get those no matter TRD or not. Then again the TRD comes with BFG A/T tires that don't have the same reliability reputation that the non-TRD smooth-riding Michelins.

I cannot imagine a normal driving situation on gravel roads where the stock shocks would "blow out" vs. Bilsteins but if you were worried just install some Bilsteins on your non-TRD for a lot less than the full-on package. If your off-road mission takes you through sand and severe bumps then the normal 18" wheels (TRD or not) have a slight advantage over the 20" wheels due to sidewall flexing and tire contact patch size so you may want to steer clear of the 20" if you don't go TRD.

If you really have to have fog lights then there are a couple of aftermarket options discussed on TS in other searchable threads. The OEMs can be installed but require steering wheel/air bag removal to go with OEM switch on turn signal stalk and will probably set you back close to $700 if you have a dealer do it. This is what I did and I'd probably go aftermarket if I did it again.

I drive dirt and gravel roads all the time. I off-road up sandy arroyos and dunes. I trailer extensively. I have stock quality Michelins and shocks and don't have TRD. About the only thing I may add eventually would be a rear leaf helper spring or air bags for load hauling.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the TRD and it offers more control and comfort when you are in the woods I can attest to that and on the street it feels like a safer ride I drove both the TRD and without for a good long drive before I bought mine and fell in love with what I felt was extra comfort and secure feeling especially on wasboard roads the truck will not bounce all over and jar you around but without it seemed like there was less control Just my opinion, it is not a harsh ride at all with the TRD Toyota did a great job tuning this new Tundras suspension with the off road package.With the TRD package you get skid plates on the engine and fuel tanks,tow hooks,sliding rear window with privacy glass,fog lamps, BF Goodrich 275s Rugged Trails on nice alloy wheels,off raod tuned suspension with Bilstein TRD shocks it cost 1400.00 for the whole package and well worth it.No matter which way you go you won't be dissapointed these trucks are great!

·
Registered
440 Posts
can't you just upgrade your shocks later as you see fit? I doubt stock toyota shocks would blow out on a gravel track.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Standard 4X4 without the TRD pkg will suit your needs,get around the SR5 option and you'll be even further ahead.Theres one in my area and its worked pretty hard on a daily basis.The man is really glad he side stepped the bells and whistles from the factory.He has already begun adding options that will suit his ranching requirements with the money he saved.

:tu:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I went with TRD because I really liked the rims that came with it alot better than the regular SR5 or even Limited standard rims. I didnt really even consider the BF Goodrich tires as a problem because after about 20-30,000 miles I'll put some nice Michelins on it.

The ride on my TRD is a very comfortable one. I tested a TRD and non-TRD before ordering and I honestly couldnt tell a difference in the ride. And like mentioned before, you'll get all the skid plates and covers on the bottom and also your foglights, rear sliding window and rear tinted windows. For me to get the TRD package from the factory it was only $105. Not too much thought had to go into that choice.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
jliltd;642461 And all SR5's come with 18" alloy wheels as a base so you'll get those no matter TRD or not. Then again the TRD comes with BFG A/T tires that don't have the same reliability reputation that the non-TRD smooth-riding Michelins. .[/QUOTE said:
The SR5 pkg DC does NOT include alloy wheels, or deep tint/slider. Those two options add approx 1,300.00

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I went for a ride down to their sister dealership with the salesman yesterday and I feel like I shouldn't have went.

When we got down there the truck was parked in the back and covered in dirt from head to toe, the hitch assembly had the paint chipped off and was rusted, and the carpet was dirty, etc...it looked like a demo vehicle and it only had 20 miles on it. Definitely a sign that this dealership is not representative of most, if not all Toyota dealers I have been to in the past.

Then when I cranked it over, it made that diesel sound that folks have been talking about and that made me nervous...just a bad feeling about that truck.

So I decided to take the one next to it for a ride as it was the same rig, just a different color...it was quiet as a mouse and drove really nice but I didn't like the exterior or interior color and had no need for the 6 CD radio.

So...here I am deciding if I want to order one and take a chance that I will get one that makes the engine noise or not. I am about as picky as they come so I may wait until that gets figured out or the dealer gets one on the lot (TRD or not) that I can take for ride and confirm that it is smooth and evertyhing I will like.

After all...I am still going to lose about $4K in this deal and I am going to be driving the next one a long time...but it would really be nice to be rid of this worthless Silverado!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I traded in a worthless Silverado too for my Tundra and couldnt be happier with my choice. Wait and order the truck you want and get it exactly how you want it. Unless one rolls in with your perfect configuration, I'd wait it out, especially if you plan on keeping this for awhile.

I think the piston slap issue is over rated. I think it may just be a small number of people making alot of noise about it. Mine is as quiet as a mouse, and a poll was taken and a high percentage of us here dont have it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice...I'm going to wait it out and get the one I want after I can find a TRD to test drive.

Does anyone know when more options will be available? The dealer tried to tell me that they only make certain configurations and I can't order anything else.

For example, if I want to order an SR5 I can only have alloy rims and sliding rear window but no XM? I think they are feeding me a line of BS and I am going to call a dealer in WI and see what they can do for me.

Deperately waiting to part with Chevy...M1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts