Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been interested in importing a 2012/2013 left hand drive Toyota Hilux into Canada so I wrote Toyota Canada to ask the question on importing and this is their response. Just wondering if anyone in Canada or the USA has imported this vehicle and how it was done?

Thanks,

"Dear Mr.______:

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Currently, there are no plans to add the Hilux or diesel vehicles to the Toyota Canada line-up.

We would like to explain that market trends are closely studied to give us a better idea of what vehicles are in demand. Then based on our findings, our Product Planning department is able to choose those vehicles that best suit the needs of the buying public. We recognize, of course, that these choices may not meet the needs and fulfill the desires of all potential customers.

We would also like to take this opportunity to strongly recommend that you do not consider the possibility of bringing a vehicle not designed for the Canadian market into Canada. Importing a vehicle to Canada from another country has become a complicated procedure because of the modifications that must be made for a vehicle to meet with the required specifications. Any vehicle not built to meet these standards must be modified and the cost is prohibitive, if it is even possible. The Toyota dealerships are not equipped to perform vehicle modifications and when modifications are possible, they will be handled by a registrar's office that specializes in the import and export of vehicles. The Registrar of Imported Vehicles can be reached at 1-888-848-8240. More information can be found at the following:

Registrar of Imported Vehicles

As well, please consider that parts and basic maintenance items may not be available from the local sources since the Hilux will not be offered on the Canadian market.

However, your interest in the Hilux and diesel vehicles has been noted and forwarded to our Product Planning department for their information and future consideration.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

John Ross
Customer Interaction Centre
Toyota Canada Inc."

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Your best bet is to find out the regulations of Canada/Mexico and see if they match. The Hilux is sold in North America but only in Mexico..it is sold alongside the Tacoma. So it might be possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also interested in importing the diesel power Hilux in to USA. Has any one had any luck in just driving one over the boarder? Can I go to Mexico and purchase and drive one over the boarder?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Start by checking with your state's motor vehicle department. Even if you are able to drive it into the US with all of your purchase documentation, you might be unable to have it licensed and registered in your state. There's also a possibility that you could import and license a used one, but not a new one. Better do your homework first, and don't believe too much of what you might read on an internet forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a real shame that the most reliable pick up on the planet can't be driven in the U.S or Canada. I'll be moving to Canada permanently in Sept from New Zealand. I've driven Tacomas. They seem like such an inferior product. Considering the U.S and Canada have the largest automobile consumer market on the planet, it simply doesn't make sense to keep the best selling pick up, in the rest of world, from them. I've driven the popular F150s also. They don't even come close to the hilux. In New Zealand, Ford has introduced a hilux styled version of the ranger. They're a competitive vehicle. But like most fords, i don't think they'll still be competing past the 200,000km mark.
What to do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The armored toyota hilux is a very popular truck worldwide According to several importers, they don’t know anyone who would even attempt to import it. The Environmental Protection Agency’s rules for air pollution literally makes this truck impossible to legally be imported. The truck would have to go through so much modification that it isn’t financially feasible with some estimates that you would double the sticker price.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The armored toyota hilux is a very popular truck worldwide According to several importers, they don’t know anyone who would even attempt to import it. The Environmental Protection Agency’s rules for air pollution literally makes this truck impossible to legally be imported. The truck would have to go through so much modification that it isn’t financially feasible with some estimates that you would double the sticker price.
Don't forget the crash tests you'd also have to do.

The only way to do this is to import a vehicle (into the USA) that's at least 25 years old. There is no other practical way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, a real shame we can't get the LHD Hilux in Canada or the U.S. Here's a pic you-all might be interested in. From Iceland, I am lead to believe. Somehow I think this rig would do very well in any mountainous, desert, or Northern region of North America. And probably in a lot of other places, too. Cottage country, anyone? < https://www.carsbase.com/photo/Arctic_Trucks-Toyota_Hilux_mp912_pic_71436.jpg > Cheers to all / LexLeezard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts