Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The far too narrow captain chair arm rests and lack of center console height to rest my arm on in my 2005 Tundra Double Cab drives me crazy! I imagine others have run into this, what did you do to fix it?

In my 2002 Access Cab the lack of comfortable mid arms rests bothered me so much I cut out the captain's chair arm rests and center console and installed a jump seat/console out of an f-250, huge improvement in comfort. Console was wide, padded and at the height it belonged. I do not want to do this mod in my 2005 because it has the seat warmer controls and other things I prefer not to relocate, but I need my comfort back!

Ideas I have had so far:
  • Find a way to extend the current captain's chair arm rest to double the width they currently are, anyone found a way to do so?
  • Pay an upholstery shop to make a pad for me to attach to the top of the current console and fit right between the current arm rests or, (better), find a company that makes one. The shops I have talked to so far weren't interested in making what I wanted
  • Make something on my own? I am no seamstress so I really prefer not to attempt this. For now I have a pillow there, but it looks like crap.

If you guys have any ideas please let me know. I tried a search, but if I missed a similar thread that anyone knows of please let me know as well. I would really like something that is comfortable and appears factory.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't have any great ideas either but I too wish they were a lot more comfy. It starts cutting off my circulation in my right arm and I end up stretching out across the console. I don't like the seats as a whole, some nicer seats w/ armrests would be nice!

·
Registered
358 Posts
My biggest problem with the center console is the lid opens in the wrong direction. Opening backward makes the lid in the way of my elbow while I dig in the console. If it was hinged on the passenger side and opened that direction it would be free and clear.....like my other trucks console does. I also wish the open section near the dash was higher.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any good upholstery guy could make a new wider arm rest without much trouble.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Reactions: TundraGuy93619

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes! Awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for, emailing them now, fingers crossed the highlander is similar enough for this to work.

Thanks so much,
-Erich

·
Registered
515 Posts
I find the driver's side arm rest pretty useless. When it's in the down position, it gets in the way when putting on or taking off my seat belt. I'm a lanky guy, so I rest my arm across the console onto the passenger side rest. It kinda puts me in a reverse gangsta lean position.

RC: BFD wheels? I've been drooling over them for a while! Titanium silver would look the business on my silver sky Tundra.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Nice find RC, love the rims on the Lexus.
Thanks.

Yes! Awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for, emailing them now, fingers crossed the highlander is similar enough for this to work.

Thanks so much,
-Erich
Have you heard back from them?

RC: BFD wheels? I've been drooling over them for a while! Titanium silver would look the business on my silver sky Tundra.
Yep. I've had them for almost 2yrs. now and I still drool over them every time I see my GX. :D

And I agree, the Titanium would look great with the silver sky paint! :tu:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No never heard back.

I think the center console in the Tundra may stick up too high to allow for the same wise armrests as the highlander unless they can make a version witht he bottom shaved out.

Looks like I may be stuck with the scrawny armrests for now or have to build something myself, pretty close to cutting them out and going the Ford console route again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@egiles: can you 'splain how you made the Ford console/seat work on your older Tundra? I have the same problem with my '01 AC. Got pics?:ts:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have pics, but do still have the console in my garage, I PMed you my email in case you want it. The arm rests have metal framing that sticks out even after you remove the bolts and arms rests. You need to take a grinder and cut these out, cover your seat so the sparks don't burn it up. Then take out one of your seats, I think I took out passenger, just 4 bolts. Slide the jump seat in and figure out where you want it, for arm comfort and seating. The Ford jumpseat console had to mounting tabs on the bottom, I needed to drill into the through the floor, don't drill into your transfer case, and then have my buddy hold the top of the bolts while I screwed 2 nuts on. I bought a seat belt from O'Reily and bolted it on to the inner rear bolts of each front seat. Now you have a comfortable arm rest as well as a 3rd seat in the front. I ended up pulling the cup holders out of the old console and putting velcro on the bottom with the other side stuck to the the carpet. I then had cup holders on the floor, beyond the ones that pop out near the ash tray, but could make foot room by unvelcroing it if I had a jump seat passenger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man, I would really like to see this myself. It looks to me like the biggest problem is what to do with the center console at the floor. Please post some pictures if possible! I am sure many of us would greatly appreciate it! I may even try to make something that would secure to both armrest, and simply work together to create a nice armrest. If there is one thing I have always hated about my truck, is that. Going from a Dodge Ram to this seat configuration sucked for me. Love every other aspect of my truck, except that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts