Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into buying a in-dash dvd player for my tacoma, has anyone else on here done it? do you have pictures of what it looks like?

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are a few people on here that have installed a pioneer dvd nav system. Search the forum for navigation or pioneer. I'm thinking about going with the AVIC model...

·
Registered
579 Posts
I can't see the purpose of an in-dash DVD player. Can somebody enlighten me? (that of course does not apply to the navigation function).

You can't really watch a movie while driving. And if you want the kids to watch a DVD in the back, a $100 - $150 portable DVD player that straps to the headrest would be much better. That same DVD player could be used (and would be much better) if the truck is parked. You then can also take that unit anywhere else.

So what's the reason for a DVD player in the dash?

I was thinking of getting one of those in-dash navigation units, but will probably go with a hand-held unit that costs maybe $300-$400. That can be used anywhere, can be removed from the truck and costs much less.

Just my opinion ....

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got the Alpine IVA-W200 and love it I have gps and all. The dvd player in the front is nice as everyone in the vehicle with me can watch. I cant look at it while I am driving, also if I am a passenger it will make me sick. But everyone that has road with me loves it in the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Virginia has a law that a video screen cannot be in any position that the driver can view .... makes sense to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't see the purpose of an in-dash DVD player. Can somebody enlighten me? (that of course does not apply to the navigation function).

You can't really watch a movie while driving. And if you want the kids to watch a DVD in the back, a $100 - $150 portable DVD player that straps to the headrest would be much better. That same DVD player could be used (and would be much better) if the truck is parked. You then can also take that unit anywhere else.

So what's the reason for a DVD player in the dash?

I was thinking of getting one of those in-dash navigation units, but will probably go with a hand-held unit that costs maybe $300-$400. That can be used anywhere, can be removed from the truck and costs much less.

Just my opinion ....
A. Navigation System
B. I don't have enough room to install a drop down dvd player in my truck
C. I dont like portable dvd player

·
Registered
579 Posts
A. Navigation System
I had covered that in my post .... :D .... and, you specifically asked about a DVD player. I am seriously wondering what the purpose of an in-dash DVD player is

So who is watching DVD's played on a 7" screen in the dash??? That was the main question .....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Im looking into buying a in-dash dvd player for my tacoma, has anyone else on here done it? do you have pictures of what it looks like?
Here's mine... from another thread.

Deck is a Pioneer AVIC D3, and I modded it so I can watch DVDs and use the Nav while the vehicle is in motion.:devil: This was my first headunit install, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. It's an awesome unit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's mine... from another thread.

Deck is a Pioneer AVIC D3, and I modded it so I can watch DVDs and use the Nav while the vehicle is in motion.:devil: This was my first headunit install, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. It's an awesome unit.

what all needs to be done to make it work while in motion?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Move the mute wire pin on the power harness of the D3 to the slot directly below it; and instead of connecting the parking brake lead on the harness to your parking brake wire on your truck, you need to ground it, along with the aforementioned mute wire. That should do it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Move the mute wire pin on the power harness of the D3 to the slot directly below it; and instead of connecting the parking brake lead on the harness to your parking brake wire on your truck, you need to ground it, along with the aforementioned mute wire. That should do it.

Or just do a search for a device called the black box on ebay most are only 7-10 bucks and it's small enough to fit behind the radio. I tried the tricks to get my alpine to bypass but the black box is the only thing that would work for me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Looking for a good lawyer in advance would be a good move in addition to what the others said.
If you ever get into a serious crash, they will find out. Believe me, it won't even matter if you watched a DVD at that time. And that may even void your insurance. You get the picture .... it may not be a pretty one ....
You should be watching the road ahead. It probably would be considered gross negligence ... and it is!

Got to take all of it into consideration ....

·
Registered
124 Posts
"good lawyer" :rolleyes: ..... now there's an oxymoron ..... but I have to agree, I don't think that "watching while driving" would be a very good defense.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i just installed my eclipse double din head unit with dvd and nav and absolutely love it. the thing is so much better than that stupid stock head unit.

·
Registered
579 Posts
i just installed my eclipse double din head unit with dvd and nav and absolutely love it. the thing is so much better than that stupid stock head unit.
What are you really using it for as compared to the stupid stock unit?

·
Registered
10 Posts
yo, get the 3 in lcd from garmin c330. fits perfect right next to the rear view mirror. its portable/rechargeable with 4+ hrs battery life and lifetime free updates for $260 at newegg.com.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I put a avic z1 nav sys in my truck and its very cool. Its $2300 but if you search around on the internet you can get it cheaper. I got mine for $1800 with a 4 yr plan. I can email a pic if you want its a pic from the back window.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts