Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm moving to San Diego in a few months was I'm going to rent a 6'x12' enclosed trailer. The heaviest thing I'm going to bring is my motorcycle (2005 Yamaha R1 about 454lbs). I was wondering if it would be better to: A)toss it in the bed of the truck. B) Have it in the trailer, or C) ride it out there and fly back. I have to go out there anyway to find a place to live before I take all my stuff. The drive is about 1,063 miles and 16 hours 50 minutes. Any input would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re: In The Bed Or The Traier?

I put my bikes in the bed, nothing to do with weight. If I lose the trailer I have a chance of not hurting the bikes is all. In an
enclosed uhaul your bike is pretty safe though. The weight isn't enough to be a large factor. You want as much weight as
possible loaded in front of your rear truck axle. Tools etc..

·
Registered
690 Posts

That's a long ride for such a light bike. I the early sixties, when I was 19, I rode a 650 Triumph from San Diego to San Francisco and back, about eight hundred miles, in three days time with a party in SF in between, and had a hard time walking for about a week after, not to mention the vagaries of weather over such a long distance. Do-able, but questionable in my estimation. As to hauling it: in the truck bed, by all means; it will probably be more secure, in terms of being tied down, as the tie offs in a U-Haul trailer are marginal at best. Load stuff around it that won't be messed up by possible leaks or smears, or weather.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

When I helped my buddy move he had three bikes and we used a cube van. I'm just saying this for the tips for packing if you put it in the trailer. we put a mattress against the wall. then bike then mattress then bike... Never even tied the bikes in at all and the van was packed so tight they didnt move an inch.

·
Registered
51 Posts

I put my bike- 2001 GSXR600 in my truck all the time, and it rides. I forget its there until I look in the rear view. If you dont need a trailer to move the rest of ur belongings too then dont bother.

If you have the time to I say ride it out to SD for sure!!!!! BUT only do that if you've done really long rode trips on a street bike before and know what ur up against. Ive done the San Diego to San Francisco ride several times (taking the long way to hit the twisties a lot) and its a tons of fun but takes a toll on the body.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The thing is that I'll be selling about half of my stuff just to fit it in the truck and trailer. And if the bike goes in the trailer then I wouldn't want anything up against it. I just don't wanna mess up the paint job. I think I'm just gonna ride it out. Take two days to ride out then fly back and get my stuff for the big move. I was just thinking about weight, even with my AAL i think my truck is gonna be slammed with all my junk.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts

ride the bike man! thats what it's for. should be a fun trip. i love that drive through utah.

·
Registered
544 Posts

I took a yamaha yz250, honda crf250, and a honda cr85+ gear loaded... about 700lbs in total with gear and my truck took it without a problem at all.... you should be fine and better off then towing and hassling with a trailer:tu:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Put it in the bed. Get you a canyon dancer strap for the bars and strap the rear wheel down also and the bike won't go anywhere.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts

Dude, you need to come down to sea level. The lack of oxygen has affected your judgment. You moving from Boulder? I would kill to live there, and your moving.

Good luck.

·
Registered
567 Posts

It will be fine in the bed, i just got back from a trip from arkansas to south dakota about 700 miles with my yamaha raider in the back which is probably just under twice the weight of yours and little longer (my rear tire sat most of the way on the tailgate). What i have always done with the front straps is go around the bars and bring the hook back down to the bed so both hooks are on the bed then you don't have to worry about the hooks scuffing up the bars and then tighten the straps so that the shocks are compressed about 3/4 of the way down so the bike wont bounce when you hit a bump and put one or two straps on the back just to keep it in place. One around the tire on the back side or 2 straps with one going to each rear peg works well to. I have done this with a couple r6's of mine and my current raider. good luck.

Andrew

·
Registered
313 Posts

Dude, you need to come down to sea level. The lack of oxygen has affected your judgment. You moving from Boulder? I would kill to live there, and your moving.

Good luck.
im currently in San Diego now, did a road trip from where I live on the eastern tip of Long Island, NY with my ex and her best friend (i know, YIKES) and I can't wait to get the hell out of here! haha However, I will note that Tundrunk isn't kidding when he talks about the "So-Cal lean" alllll the lifted trucks out here look like they're hauling a bed full of lead bricks!

·
Registered
544 Posts

im currently in San Diego now, did a road trip from where I live on the eastern tip of Long Island, NY with my ex and her best friend (i know, YIKES) and I can't wait to get the hell out of here! haha However, I will note that Tundrunk isn't kidding when he talks about the "So-Cal lean" alllll the lifted trucks out here look like they're hauling a bed full of lead bricks!
I'll Admit that I do like that look and yes i'm from So-Cal :crazy3d:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ride it, but take an extra day so you can walk when you are done. Went from here to Wisconsin when I was younger on a Nighthawk 650, 1500+ miles. Took 4 days and I was sore when I got there.
The truck bed would be my second choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts