Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my truck in to take care of some odds and ends before the 3 yr. warranty expired next weekend and they are going to fix it! Also thanks to the many folks here that post TSb's and all the great info as well. I originally went for the "shim" fix but also asked them to look at the sinking dash and provided them with the TSB documents found right here on this beatiful site. Also I told my service writer that I had a rear end noise that I wanted checked out. She wrote it up and they drove off into the shop. 2 hrs later the tech wanted me to go for a ride because he cant here the "noise" so I did. Once I got to speed and a sound wall to the right I said that is the noise can you here it? He says "IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE WIND NOISE OR WIND DEFLECTION" I almost deflected the moron right out the window. It is an obvious sound you cannot mistake it for anything else. Wind noise my Azz. Back to the shop I asked him to rack it and let the engine idle to turn the drive train so he could really pin point it. Thats what I did a few months back. About an hour later I see the same tech sittin' biatch while another tech drove my truck. Then they pulled back into the service bay. They called me up and said they would repair the dash per the TSB I had provided and that I needed a new rear end. I said DO IT! so now I have a camry loaner and getting a new rear end tomorrow along with the dash fix and the recalls (shim and trim).
The tech said there was a bunch of metal flakes in the fluid that may have damaged the internals. They asked me if I towed anything and I said no, never have. The service writer asked if I had towed anything and said the same thing. Then she goes on to say " since you have the hitch have you towed anything before" I said no then she asks then how come you put on a hitch?? I said it was on the truck when I bought it form here new. I don't have a ball mount because I dont need one and the 5.7 came with it OEM. WTF!! Dash fix when parts get here and rear end tomorrow. whoooohooooo! my cost $00

Now I have a camry loaner which feels like Im sitting on the pavement while I'm driving but its only till tomorrow. Thanks again to all of you who have contributed the TSB pdf's and the rest of yall for being so very helpfull to me and everyone else who is here for help.:ts::beavbutt:

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Sounds like your biggest problem is the dealer!:eek:
Glad you were able to get them to fix it!:D

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Cool .

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It realy wasnt any struggle just getting throught the Q&A before they signed off on the repairs. This dealer has been good to me since my truck was new and even now with my new/used certified sienna. I never get the same service writer though and can only recognise 2 that have been there since I became a toyota owner.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
What a biatch!!! Who gives a rat's arse if ypou DID tow anything?? Typical dealer BS, looking for ANYTHING to NOT do warranty work.

Glad you're getting your truck fixed......just hope it's all done correctly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
so where do i get the tsb for the sinking dash guyz?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The sinking dash fix is something you can do yourself. Look the fix up on tundrasolutions. It won't take 5 min to fix it and its much better than the new part they use.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I'm glad they didn't blame the lowering kit for the damage.:D For the meantime enjoy the Camry. Is that a V6?

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
****UPDATE****

Got my baby back and the rear end noise is gone!!! the dash is fixed!!!! the racalls are done and me very happy!!

They replaced the rear differential carrier assembly, cleaned the axle housing, axles and axle bearings, and relubed everything. They even adjusted my parking brake. BONUS

They replaced the right A pillar trim piece with a new updated one from the TSB. the invoice shows 2 pieces in all for this fix.

They did the throttle pedal SHIM & TRIM recalls and I was out the door. The throttle does feel funny but I could get used to it shortly.

They can keep their 4 cyl camry loaner as well.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Good to see there are good dealerships out there. Congrats man!

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks. I hope they keep up their customer service aspect. they are a new dealer as they opened shortly after I bought my truck and all same people from the place I purchased from went there. I was glad to know that the internet/fleet sales guy I delt with was there as well.

·
Registered
503 Posts
****UPDATE****

Got my baby back and the rear end noise is gone!!! the dash is fixed!!!! the racalls are done and me very happy!!

They replaced the rear differential carrier assembly, cleaned the axle housing, axles and axle bearings, and relubed everything. They even adjusted my parking brake. BONUS

They replaced the right A pillar trim piece with a new updated one from the TSB. the invoice shows 2 pieces in all for this fix.

They did the throttle pedal SHIM & TRIM recalls and I was out the door. The throttle does feel funny but I could get used to it shortly.

They can keep their 4 cyl camry loaner as well.

A suggestion from someone who's been there. After you've put maybe 50mi on it, get a bucket and drain a quick splash of rear end fluid. My guess is that there will be a lot of metal particulate in there. You can take a picture to help convince the dealer to drain and fill on their dime. Whether it is all flashing from the new unit break in, remnants of the old failure, or both; you don't want that in there for too long.

I got them to change it out and then after another couple hundred miles, I switched over to Amsoil syn fluid.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
A suggestion from someone who's been there. After you've put maybe 50mi on it, get a bucket and drain a quick splash of rear end fluid. My guess is that there will be a lot of metal particulate in there. You can take a picture to help convince the dealer to drain and fill on their dime. Whether it is all flashing from the new unit break in, remnants of the old failure, or both; you don't want that in there for too long.

I got them to change it out and then after another couple hundred miles, I switched over to Amsoil syn fluid.
I agree. It's nearly impossible to get all those metal flakes out of the housing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts