Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (and the few gals)

I'm in the market for a new laptop/notebook and want to know if there are any technology gurues out there with some insight for what is the best route to go. I am okay with spending up to about $1800 - $2000 (thank's to uncle Sam hopefully giving me back a little bit of money that he owes me). So any input would be beneficial.

To give you an idea of the uses...
typical needs of the internet are a necessity (IMs, etc.)
I don't do any major gaming (online or otherwise)
I don't need it to be a workaholic, because of the fact that I don't use my laptop for work - that's what I have an office for
I just need a pretty basic but functional laptop with a fair amount of portability (I try to travel as frequently as I can, and taking the computer with me is a necessity, although that may be reduced because of the iPhone but IMs and stuff I still need a laptop)...

thoughts? opinions? personal experience?

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
My wife got an Acer Extensa 4620 a couple months ago from Best Buy for $500 bucks...
I wish she'd trade me for my $1800 Toshiba...
The Acer is fast, has a huge hard drive, and is very light weight and portable.
I should have bought one at the same time and got rid of the expensive Toshiba.
I do have to say, the Toshiba is bullet proof. I'm pretty hard on my laptops between the house, work and the shop it gets a run for the money.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well as boring as it may sound...Dell. I have had my Dell for over 5 years and still runs like a champ. My friends had Compaq...HP, and Sony and both gave them problems with reliability. The only thing that has show wear is the battery, but it is over 5 years old. When it was new I got about 4 hours on the battery, now I am down to 2 hours.

Remember on Laptops you can not upgrade the processor and video card/memory after it has been built. This is unlike a PC where you can take out older components and upgrade them. I wish I would have done that with my laptop, the processor is fine at 2GHz but I only have 32 MB of video memory. I could have opted for a 64MB card when I bought it, but I figured 32MB would be fine.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hey guys (and the few gals)

I'm in the market for a new laptop/notebook and want to know if there are any technology gurues out there with some insight for what is the best route to go. I am okay with spending up to about $1800 - $2000 (thank's to uncle Sam hopefully giving me back a little bit of money that he owes me). So any input would be beneficial.

To give you an idea of the uses...
typical needs of the internet are a necessity (IMs, etc.)
I don't do any major gaming (online or otherwise)
I don't need it to be a workaholic, because of the fact that I don't use my laptop for work - that's what I have an office for
I just need a pretty basic but functional laptop with a fair amount of portability (I try to travel as frequently as I can, and taking the computer with me is a necessity, although that may be reduced because of the iPhone but IMs and stuff I still need a laptop)...

thoughts? opinions? personal experience?
I'm extremely happy with the Lenovo's, they are pretty rugged, slim, lightweight especially compared to the hefty clunkers from HP's, Dells, etc. I have a T61 that is a great work horse without being too heavy on the lap or shoulder. For ultra portability I highly suggest the X61 (or even the X300), I love my X, its a feather weight and comes in handy while browsing on the couch, during lunch at work, going to school or whatever. If you are lucky enough to go with a solid state drive (my next laptop...) you'll save valuable battery life while reducing damaging a fast spinning drive, because it doesnt have one. The X in the docking station has no problems pushing the 22" lcd, even with some light 3d games. It does have integrated graphics, so the X's have limited gaming capability. The fingerprint scanner is a must have for use at work or home. The new X300 has a dvd built-in, where as the X61 and pre models do not, you have to use a docking station dvd (which is the one I use) or a external. Not a big deal as theres always access to a burner/player someplace. They all pretty much have at least b/g wireless, some have n and theres an option for mobile broadband. Bluetooth can be either a standard or option.

Just avoid getting anything with Vista.

Get a 3M filter to keep those peepers out.

HTH

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Before my vaio VGN-N395E for about 7 bills about six months ago, I had 3 Dell Laptops. Went to Sony from Dell b/c Dell was just getting worse and worse w/ each new one I got. The Sony's been very nice: no crashes whatsoever so far.

Also, I've learned my lessor buying the lastest, most advanced machines. It's a wast of money. Prices go down every 3 months as new capacities come on the market. The lastest machines are always overpriced. I'd pick something about 6 months old to balance advancement and price. JMTC

·
Banned
799 Posts
Mac's are the best for just regular home use. Although overpriced, some of them are pretty good performance wise.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Dell Inspiron Notebooks :tu:

·
Banned
799 Posts
Don't really care for dell. Asus makes some really reliable laptops for cheap.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
You are going to get a TON of different opinions. I have a 15" Sony that is five years old and a new HP Tablet with a 12" screen that is a few months old. I'm the computer nerd for our company, and we use HP notebooks exclusively.

My advice is that brand is not nearly as important as getting one that is going to fit your needs. I second the above post in not spending much on the latest and greatest. You can get a very nice laptop for less than a grand now days.

If you are going to tote it around quite a bit and not staying on it for extended periods of time, I'd seriously consider a small screen model, 12-13" for ultimate portability. It is so nice to pack around something small and portable. Tablets are great too in that size, particularly the swivel screen.

If you are going to mainly use it as a desktop and take it with you from time to time, I'd get a 14-15" monitor. They are easier on the eyes, but aren't quite as light and small.

I wouldn't waste my time or money on a 17" screen, you might as well buy a desktop with a 22" monitor for a lot less money. My sister in law purchased a 17" dell laptop and that thing is a monster, which is completely impractical for taking anywhere. In addition, their battery run time sucks (because of the monitor) and they wouldn't fit on a plane tray very well.

The reason why this is so focused on the size of the computer is that pretty much any computer you buy today will be completely capable of handling what you want to do with it software wise. Make sure you get at least 1GB of RAM.

Costco is a great place to go if you have access to one. There are also several online stores like PCMall that have great pricing.

·
Banned
799 Posts
You are going to get a TON of different opinions. I have a 15" Sony that is five years old and a new HP Tablet with a 12" screen that is a few months old. I'm the computer nerd for our company, and we use HP notebooks exclusively.

My advice is that brand is not nearly as important as getting one that is going to fit your needs. I second the above post in not spending much on the latest and greatest. You can get a very nice laptop for less than a grand now days.

If you are going to tote it around quite a bit and not staying on it for extended periods of time, I'd seriously consider a small screen model, 12-13" for ultimate portability. It is so nice to pack around something small and portable. Tablets are great too in that size, particularly the swivel screen.

If you are going to mainly use it as a desktop and take it with you from time to time, I'd get a 14-15" monitor. They are easier on the eyes, but aren't quite as light and small.

I wouldn't waste my time or money on a 17" screen, you might as well buy a desktop with a 22" monitor for a lot less money. My sister in law purchased a 17" dell laptop and that thing is a monster, which is completely impractical for taking anywhere. In addition, their battery run time sucks (because of the monitor) and they wouldn't fit on a plane tray very well.

The reason why this is so focused on the size of the computer is that pretty much any computer you buy today will be completely capable of handling what you want to do with it software wise. Make sure you get at least 1GB of RAM.

Costco is a great place to go if you have access to one. There are also several online stores like PCMall that have great pricing.
Agreed. Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and ClubIT.com - Find Great Deals On Computer Parts, Laptop Parts, Desktop Computers, Notebooks, and Electronics are some other good ones as well.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Dell Inspiron Notebooks :tu:
I've had three Inspirons. My first, the 7500, was the best one I had. The last one I had, a 9100, was noisy, the fan came on for no reason, and it began to crash. Don't think I'd be buying Dell's for a while.

Macs are just overpriced trendy machines. No real advantage for the average user as far as I've used them. An extra G b/c it's purdee or b/c it's cool. Not for me!

·
Banned
799 Posts
Macs are just overpriced trendy machines. No real advantage for the average user as far as I've used them. An extra G b/c it's purdee or b/c it's cool. Not for me!
I know they are waaay overpriced for the hardware but OS X is a lot more user-friendly than windows. It's better for the average home/school user. I was playing around with my friends the other day and if i liked using laptops I would buy me one.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I like my HP 65xx from Sam's. I hate hate freakin' hate windoze vista. I shoulda bought a copy of xp pro off craig's list & wiped this thing when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I've owned 3 Dell's and they've all had issues. Got a Toshiba last year at Office Depot on sale(BB also has good sales on Toshiba's). It is still running great, starts up quick, shuts down quick. Never drops my wireless connection. For ~$500 for the 15.4" screen version, you can't go wrong. No need to spend $1800.
/Mike

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
I too vote for the Dell Inspiron. You can ask for windows XP instead of Vista if you like.
But if funds are of no concern, I too would do a Apple.

·
Banned
799 Posts
Might wanna check this one out as well. Best for the money imo.

click here

1 - 20 of 63 Posts