Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have an Acer Aspire 9410 17" and I love it. Had it for a year now and had no troubles at all, other than it's a little big to be really portable.

What ever you get, I'd get a copy of XP to put on it:tu:
Vista sux!:td:

·
Banned
799 Posts
Vista is actually a pretty good OS. It just has a lot of compatibility issues. The service pack is set to launch in a couple months so maybe that will fix it. But yes, stick with xp if you can.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Vista is actually a pretty good OS. It just has a lot of compatibility issues. The service pack is set to launch in a couple months so maybe that will fix it. But yes, stick with xp if you can.
Vista is not a good OS, Vista is a resource hog! I've never dealt with anything more user UN-friendly before.

It kinda makes you wonder why everyone is buying up all the XP copy's.

My father just got a new Dell laptop, and as per my suggestion, he also got them to throw in a copy of XP pro with it:tu:

I'm curious to see what the SP does for Vista...

·
Banned
799 Posts
Vista is not a good OS, Vista is a resource hog! I've never dealt with anything more user UN-friendly before.
That's what they said about XP when it first came out. After the first SP i expect it to be a lot better.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I put the beta version of Vista's SP1 and noticed no difference.

Stick with XP.

The word I'm hearing that June is the end of XP availabilty.

·
Banned
799 Posts
How you tried the new one? I just noticed it was launched today. haha
32-bit
64-bit

·
Banned
799 Posts

·
Banned
799 Posts
From what I've read (yes, I can read) there's not much change between the Beta and final.
No you can't. I don't have vista so I can't really say from experience but I have read that it is much faster than the beta version.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Newegg is a good place to look, but not always the best place to buy from, I always look there before ordering elsewhere...

Again, I highly recommend the X61
Newegg.com - ThinkPad X Series X61(76758PU) NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T7250(2.00GHz) 12.1" XGA 1GB Memory 120GB HDD 5400rpm Intel GMA X3100 - Retail

Only problem with that one is the s**t Vista. Vista is so pathetic that if I receive a computer at work with Vista on it, I pack it back up and send it back.

Apple... I do like the power pro notebooks. Intel processors, you can boot with XP (dual boot, virtual machine, etc), and OSX is Unix based so you have a good heft of security and ability to do a lot of things. Id like to have one, but I find having a ibm compatible machine is best for both personal use and for work. Of course if I had a bunch of Apple servers to support Id feel differently, but I dont.

I've worked on and/or owned Toshiba, Dell, HP, Acer, Apple, Compaq, Gateway and a few others. They all seem to be heavy clunkers except for the premium ultraportables. Aside from the Lenovo/IBM, Dell makes a nice ultra.

17" screen for travel? Hah, have fun lugging that heavy pos around, takes the lap out of laptop, its more of a desktop that you can put on a dinner table. They suck so bad our sales team doesnt even like to travel with the 15 or 17" laptop. Unfortunately for them they only have one X series laptop, which belongs to one of the managers who always complained about shoulder and neck pain, until she got the X.

If I have my personal X with me, Id rather use it during a meeting or while troubleshooting the network rather then lug around the T61, which is already much lighter then the other brands I've picked up.

BTW, Apple has a significant discount on their computers for students, I believe it was 20%.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
No you can't. I don't have vista so I can't really say from experience but I have read that it is much faster than the beta version.
Well, I have messed around enough with Vista (and computers in general) to know that no matter what version of Vista SP you have, XP is a superior OS...

And BTW; yes I can!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
N
17" screen for travel? Hah, have fun lugging that heavy pos around, takes the lap out of laptop, its more of a desktop that you can put on a dinner table. They suck so bad our sales team doesnt even like to travel with the 15 or 17" laptop. Unfortunately for them they only have one X series laptop, which belongs to one of the managers who always complained about shoulder and neck pain, until she got the X.
Yea, my 17 is not really portable. It's my primary computer though. Perfect for the night stand and late night TS debates:tu:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Okay so I have the Apple iPhone, and absolutely love it. And as MtTrout mentioned, portability is a big thing. I don't travel very far all the time (but I do travel many short distances and like to take my computer) so I'm taking a look around at a lot of different computer that you guys suggested.

I've thought heavily about a tablet (I'm a big fan of the touch - navigation, iPhone, computer next maybe?). But on the mac side, I have thought about looking at the mac book air (starts at like $1799!! yikes!).

Any thoughts on good tablets for those of you who own them and anybody have the mac book air? Price isn't the only consideration. I have always paid a little higher price for what is typically a better product (after all, I do own a Toyota Tundra!).

thanks for all the feedback guys!!!

·
Banned
799 Posts
Okay so I have the Apple iPhone, and absolutely love it. And as MtTrout mentioned, portability is a big thing. I don't travel very far all the time (but I do travel many short distances and like to take my computer) so I'm taking a look around at a lot of different computer that you guys suggested.

I've thought heavily about a tablet (I'm a big fan of the touch - navigation, iPhone, computer next maybe?). But on the mac side, I have thought about looking at the mac book air (starts at like $1799!! yikes!).

Any thoughts on good tablets for those of you who own them and anybody have the mac book air? Price isn't the only consideration. I have always paid a little higher price for what is typically a better product (after all, I do own a Toyota Tundra!).

thanks for all the feedback guys!!!
My pastor has a mac book air. That thing is NIIIIIICE!! I wouldn't suggest it to a traveler though...might break it in half.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
My pastor has a mac book air. That thing is NIIIIIICE!! I wouldn't suggest it to a traveler though...might break it in half.
Well, my travels are only on airplanes about once a year...it really would be at home most of the time; at work once in a while when I'm back and forth between dealerships and whatnot.

All I know is that it's time to get rid of this one laptop :)

·
Banned
799 Posts
I say go for it then :tu:

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I have an HP tablet with Vista, but that is only because I'm testing the OS. Here is the link: HP Compaq 2710p Notebook PC Small & Medium Business

Its great to be able to swivel the screen around and angle it back, then use the touch screen for surfing the net. Also handy for general note taking if turned 90 degrees. The battery lasts for a long time, usually 3+ hours.

The weight and size are awesome for mobile computing. Perfect for taking anywhere and not feeling like it is a burden. Make sure you get a bluetooth mouse for $40 or so, the trackball thing is hard to use if you are doing a lot of surfing or anything mouse intensive.

The only bad thing is the lack of a DVD drive, but not too much of an issue because I have an external drive.

The other size that is awfully tempting is the Sony's with a 13.3" screen.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts