Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to lower my fathers 02 tundra. After reading the forums i went to the tundra racing website but I cant afford the 2"/4" kit for $550.

On their website they have a 2"/2" kit for $330 and a rear /2" drop shackle kit for $170. I emailed and they said i could buy a front 2"/ kit for $250.

Some people here dropped the rear 2" with a belltech 6400 drop shackle. I looked that up and it sells for $52 w free shiping from amazon.

Is there an inexpensive kit to drop the front??

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i went with the tundra racing 2" drop shackle for the rear over the bell tech for a couple reasons. first, it's a high quality piece complete with poly bushings which go along way in keeping noise down. second, it's ready to install right out of the box. no grinding or modifying for fitment as it's designed for the gen 1 tundra and not a chevy.

as far as the front goes... don't know about an "inexpensive" kit to drop it down. "inexpensive" is a relative term. imho, when you're dealing with your suspension, you get what you pay for. tundra racing are experts in what they do. i like dealing with experts. i feel i got way more than i paid for from them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sure its greater quality but im also sure their overpriced. Their drop shackles are 3.5x the price! 52 vs 180! Darn expensive polyurethane.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Im sure its greater quality but im also sure their overpriced. Their drop shackles are 3.5x the price! 52 vs 180! Darn expensive polyurethane.
that's one way to look at it... and again, it's all relative. as far as being overpriced, i disagree. i could not bring myself to settle for inferior quality on any vehicle i drive. i deserve the best. i also feel that folks who go to the trouble to put out great products deserve to make a good profit. these are the folks that usually are great to deal with too as they are more likely to go out of their way to maintain happy customers and they usually don't have to. i am one of those folks also. i'm glad i got the darn expensive polyurethane, for sure! folks who deal in inferior products seem to always be scrambling around trying to cover their a$$, and the folks who buy from them eventually get caught up scrambling around a bit themselves. funny how that works. no worries.

·
Registered
233 Posts
our trucks are tricky and a pain in the ass to lower due to lack of after market support (thank god for sos )
go with the experts for the rear to get the correct pinion angle ,but if you want to go cheap on it for the front go to a junk yard and pick up tundra v6 coil springs if your truck has the v8 or if yours is a 6 and see if a 4cyl Tacoma spring would fit . another idea is to heat the coils or cut a coil out . . never seen it done to our trucks but see it done to others . just remember u get what you pay for !!! just go with the shocks sos suggests ditch the bilsteins in my opinion

don't go with the beltech , they require a shim to get the pinion angle rite and at time you'll still have problems with vibrations , go with sos !!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
don't go with the beltech , they require a shim to get the pinion angle rite and at time you'll still have problems with vibrations , go with sos !!
if you go with the 2" drop from sos, you will also have to install shims to correct the pinion angle. the shims are provided with the lowering shackles from sos. no matter what shackle you use to drop the rear 2", you are going to have to also use shims. i have zero vibrations after installing the shims from sos along with their 2" drop shackles. feels as smooth as it did with the factory setup at all speeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts