Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install install 12v socket in my truck bed. I've seen several posts on how to do the wiring, which doesn't appear too difficult. I could use some advice on where to install it and what socket to install. My bed has linex on it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Where you install it would depend on what you need it for and personal preference. You could probably mount it to the inside lip of the bed rail to keep it out of the way and provide some protection. I would also try to find one that had some type of weatherproof cover for both the socket and wiring.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Get one of the weatherproof sockets with springloaded cover. I would put it mid level near the tailgate on the side of the bed.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Vey easy project but we need more info. What are you going to be runiing off of it?

·
Registered
524 Posts
4ga wire?? You would be fine with 12 or even 10, hell if you want a bit better even 8. 4ga is as thick as the battery cables, you dont need it for a power outlet. I would suggest an inline 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
10 AWG is good for 30 amps. This should do you fine.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Buy the outlet first and find out where you're going to put it. Then determine
what size wire it will take. It doesn't make sense to run a certain gauge wire
if it ends up being too big to fit into the connections for the outlet.

John

·
Registered
56 Posts
O Reily has a spring load weather proof outlet that would work great.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I've got this one, got it at Walmart years ago, but they don't carry this style now. Could probably find it on the net. I used 12g wire with an inline fuse at first, but I've added enough electronics that I installed a Blue Sea fuse block to run everything off of.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Yes, it's near the tailgate, and yes I had to remove the taillight but only because I put the ground wire up high and dry. It works great and I use it to plug in accessories when we camp. And no, I had no trouble drilling through the Rhinoliner.

As an aside the prior post with the Ebay socket is not the same....that one is a surface mount and sticks out farther

this one is the one I used

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Frank, take some photos during your install and come back to us with a DIY. :tu:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ok bringing back a old one, but would like to know if the plug ins you are showing the pictures you can plug in household items.... Blender, coffee pot electric skillet. Or is this out just a cigarette lighter.

I know that some Tacos come with it in the box and love the idea, and would love to add this to my truck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts