Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my CM back from the dealer today after the Bilstein 5100 front shock install. Man, it really looks good and levels the truck perfectly. I've learned alot from this forum, especially through the picture galleries, so please check out the after photos in my album. Thanks to all of you for your responses and help through my initial stages of transforming my truck into the vehicle I think it should be...

The dealer performed a full alignment after the install. Truck rides really well, except the steering wheel is slightly crooked left hand side headed clockwise...I'll call and see if that's the down side to a little height increase or perhaps the alignment will have to be re-done. Shocks feel better than stock! So far I'm glad I went with the highest setting...

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
The dealer performed a full alignment after the install. Truck rides really well, except the steering wheel is slightly crooked left hand side headed clockwise...I'll call and see if that's the down side to a little height increase or perhaps the alignment will have to be re-done. Shocks feel better than stock! So far I'm glad I went with the highest setting...
Ive searched this forum for all I can about leveling kits and the 5100 and cannot find anything were people explain what the hell "better" is! Please explain what "feel better than stock" means. How does it feel better? What difference are you feeling ? Do you go off road? How does it "ride well"? How did it ride before? Did you get the highest setting?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it's in the eye of the beholder on this one txmaxx...I'll tell you this, when I test drove my truck, the suspension felt ok, except it was squishy and "luxury" feeling....not completely in control. When I upgraded my tires to the E rated BFGs, it got better...by that I mean stiffer and more competent...I felt more of the road, in a good way. Now with the BFGs and the 5100s, that feeling is more pronounced. You're up a bit higher, and you can feel the suspension controlling the movement and direction of the vehicle, it's more tactile than squishy. My 5100s are at the highest setting of 2.5". The Toyota mechanics that did the install thought the truck looked great and weren't concerned about driveline or CV issues. Hope that helps your research txmaxx.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is it possible to have the Bilstein 5100 adjustables WITH a 3" spacer on top? Or will the spacer not let the strut fit back in? I have an 03 Tundra SR5.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Is it possible to have the Bilstein 5100 adjustables WITH a 3" spacer on top? Or will the spacer not let the strut fit back in? I have an 03 Tundra SR5.
it's possible. not recommended and will prob ride like a tank. unless you want to get 5100's on stock height and add a spacer on top, but kinda defeats the purpose of getting the 5100's in the first place.

·
Registered
97 Posts
it's possible. not recommended and will prob ride like a tank. unless you want to get 5100's on stock height and add a spacer on top, but kinda defeats the purpose of getting the 5100's in the first place.
I really don't care about ride quality. Other than that, will it do any damage to my suspension? If not i'm willing to try it out. If it starts to stress anything I can just adjust it back to stock height.

·
Registered
566 Posts
3" spacer on top of 5100's set to stock height = same thing you have. Putting a 3" spacer on top of 5100's adjusted to provide more height probably isn't even possible without a lot of effort. If you can actually fit it back on your truck though, you'll destroy your ball joints.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts