Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a fair price to pay a tech to install an Auburn LSD?
I will supply the LSD, gear oil, additive, and installation kit.
I am not able to install this myself.

8u9ytgY.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
Not sure, but will likely be a pretty penny. Setting up gears usually comes with a pretty steep price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not sure, but will likely be a pretty penny. Setting up gears usually comes with a pretty steep price

The gears are not being change, just the differential.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The gears are not being change, just the differential.
Yes, I misspoke. The gears still have to come out and they will have to check all the specs and possibly re-shim and adjust to get your backlash and any other play back in spec. That’s what’s gonna cost you. That’s a lot of the labor that a shop’s going to charge.

·
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I misspoke. The gears still have to come out and they will have to check all the specs and possibly re-shim and adjust to get your backlash and any other play back in spec. That’s what’s gonna cost you. That’s a lot of the labor that a shop’s going to charge.
Another thought from a different forum:

"I wouldn't even remove the pinion. Just measure backlash before removing and reinstall to previous specs with as much preload on the drive side as possible."

·
Registered
310 Posts
Another thought from a different forum:

"I wouldn't even remove the pinion. Just measure backlash before removing and reinstall to previous specs with as much preload on the drive side as possible."
I would try not to remove the pinion as well. But the pinion depth plays a role in the gear wear pattern just as much as the ring gear side to side play does. You might get lucky and the shop only has to set up the ring gear. I’m sure that’s what they’ll try first. And that may save you some money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts