Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I just finished installing an Alpine headunit from crutchfield in my 02 (SR5 V8). Went in with no problem, checked to make sure everything worked before I buttoned it up. Got the panel back on, and now the truck will turn over and fire, but then immediately die. I'm guessing I triggered some kind of immobilizer, but google is letting me down on answers big time. Checked my fuses, everything looks fine, but I do have on black wire coming straight off the battery terminal with a 20a fuse in it. That fuse was blown, replaced it and it blew again. Have no idea what this wire goes to, truck appeared bone stock as it sits but who knows. Anyone have an idea WTF is going on?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Does stay running if you hold your foot on the gas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all sorted out now, purring like a kitten. Had to hold my foot on the gas for a couple minutes, at which point it ran but idled low. Found a youtube video with an idle reset procedure (accessories off, key on, key off, key on, start, parking brake on, shift to drive, let sit for a couple minutes), and now it is idling and running perfectly.

Tundraforums had my answer, when the battery is disconnected or dead on these, the ECU can forget how to idle. Just have to apply a little throttle to get it started, then follow the procedure above. Maybe this will help some future googler!

·
Registered
11 Posts
For what it's worth...I posted awhile back about a rough start issue. The only thing I found that actually keeps my truck (1st Gen V8) from starting without any issues is to wait until the number of chimes completes it self before turning in over. It's not always the case but if I do this process it never starts rough. See my post here...https://www.tundrasolutions.com/threads/rough-start-waiting-until-the-chimes-stop-after-turning-the-key-to-the-on-position.205351/#post-1977792

1 - 4 of 4 Posts