Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed JBA headers on '06 Tundra A/C 4x4 V8, now getting two "codes". What to do?

--Hi, all. The JBA headers got installed today, but after I started up the pickup, I got the "Check Engine" light. I scanned to see what codes they were with my Scan Gauge II and the codes were P0031 (HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1) and P0037 (HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2). I pressed "Clear" on the Scan Gauge II and that got rid of the Check Engine light, but it came back on within 5 seconds. How can I get rid of the Check Engine light (Assuming nothing is the matter with the truck, I mean)? I drove the truck for about ten minutes to the house and it seemed to run just great. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Re: Installed JBA headers on '06 Tundra A/C 4x4 V8, now getting two "codes". What to do?

Something is wrong with your O2 sensors. You did install them? =)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Installed JBA headers on '06 Tundra A/C 4x4 V8, now getting two "codes". What to

--Hi. As far as I know, they installed them. I popped the hood and saw one was plugged in, but was unable to see where the other one hooks up (or even where it connects on the header). I'll check tomorrow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Installed JBA headers on '06 Tundra A/C 4x4 V8, now getting two "codes". What to

--Well, I took it to the place where they were installed and it turns out that the mechanic forgot to put one of the O2 sensors back on (On the right side when facing the engine). He put it back on, though, but that didn't help anything. The Check Engine light came on still and the Scan Gauge II still displayed P0031 (for some reason, starting yesterday, the Scan Guage II no longer displays the code P0037).

--I think what I am going to is to find another O2 sensor and have them install it. When he was taking the O2 sensors out of the headers yesterday, one of them was cross threaded in the stock header. The mechanic said that on one header the sensor was easy to take out and could have almost come out by hand, however the other one just would not budge. They had to put the header in a vise and get it out that way. The mechanic said that the O2 sensor might have been damaged when he was getting it out (Wire may have broken, who knows). I called two parts stores and none of them had any parts for Toyota, in fact, Toyota Tundra was not listed in his ordering book (or whatever it's called).

--Now to find an O2 sensor, haha.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

--Well, I just looked online for a replacement O2 sensor, but there are 1 wire, 2 wire 3 wire and 4 wire sensors. Why are there 4 different types of sensors, but only three sensors on the headers? Are there O2 sensors elsewhere in the truck? I have taken the battery cables off to see if that would get rid of the Check Engine light, but that did not work. I just want that light gone, haha. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts

--Well, I just looked online for a replacement O2 sensor, but there are 1 wire, 2 wire 3 wire and 4 wire sensors. Why are there 4 different types of sensors, but only three sensors on the headers? Are there O2 sensors elsewhere in the truck? I have taken the battery cables off to see if that would get rid of the Check Engine light, but that did not work. I just want that light gone, haha. Oh well.
Adam,
It is an interesting coincidence that both O2 sensors on the driver's side (bank 1) of your truck are sending trouble codes after getting your headers installed. When I removed the sensors from my stock manifolds during my header install, I also had to put both manifolds in a vice and take a large wrench to each sensor in order to remove them. THIS WAS EXTREMELY EASY and there was absolutely no chance that I damaged the sensors.

I suspect that your sensors are fine, but that they are not fully connected. I would try detaching and then reconnecting the O2 electrical connectors on each bank 1 sensor. They can be quite firm. While they are apart, I'd take a look at the pins in the male connectors to see if they are still straight.

There are four O2 sensors on my 2000 Tundra, each of which is a 4 wire sensor. You mention 3 sensors on your headers in your previous post. I don't recall a design change on any of the later years that would explain this, so I'm not sure what the disconnect is.

Something that you may also want to try, before you head down the road of replacing sensors, is to simply swap a driver's side (bank 1) sensor with a passenger's side (bank 2) sensor to see if the trouble code follows the sensor.

Let us know how things go.

Good luck.

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts