Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it took a couple of hours but I got my brakes done today along with struts and the ss brake lines. I took a quick spin earlier using the carbon metallic pads but tonight ups delivered my ebc yellowstuff 4000 pads so after dinner I installed them. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to take a spin and start breaking them in. I can't bed them until I get 200 normal miles on them according to the instructions and I"m looking forward to that.

I can say that using the performance friction pad initially with the ebc rotors that I could feel the difference as they grabbed it way better than the stock rotor. I can hardly wait to see how the ebc pads grab it. Gorilla was right about how good this ebc hardware is. As far as I'm concerned ebc will now be my brake hardware of choice.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well tonight on the way home from work I was forced to find out just how good the new brake hardware was. When I pushed down the pedal was firm and the yellowstuff pads have more grip than my tires have traction. My truck shed speed immediately tires chirping all the way until I let off. I can only wonder why in the hell I waited so long to upgrade my brakes. If you want strong brakes on your truck don't think twice get the ebc slotted rotors and yellowstuff 4k kevlar pads. I remember when I read gorilla's post about his upgrade to this hardware and I was a bit skeptical. Let me assure you he was not exaggerating about the braking power this hardware delivers. Thank you gorilla for turning me on to this hardware.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Good to know. I'm eyeing the Ultimax rotors and Green Stuff pads. The Yellow Stuff pads are pretty expensive at $130/set. I also plan on changing the brake fluid.
How much are SS lines?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The russell ss lines were like $72 at summit and they don't require any modification to install. The yellowstuff pad grab like you wouldn't believe hence the high price but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I went ahead and got the green stuff. They're half as much as yellow. I also got some power stop slotted rotors for $120 for the set. In all, I spent half as much as I was going to originally with EBC slotted Rotors and Yellow Stuff pads. We'll see how they work.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi your welcome. i'm glad you took a chance.
and the out come, well you know.
i love them.
i'm glad i made the switch to.
many don't need them.
but if i'm able to stop quicker, therefore avoid a accident.
there worth it's weight in gold.
i took the time according to my directions and went 1000miles & broke them in.
well i was doing 45ish mph & hit the brakes not to hard & i stopped ,where i wouldn't have with OEM.
also i stopped hard & for the 1st time ever i engaged the ABS where i heard the skid.
i had my foot on the brake pedal the whole time.
i never had that happen. i always had 20" rims. but now i have 295/45/20's, & i usually carry about 1000lbs of weight.
so my tundra used to come to a stop no matter how hard i pushed the pedal with the abs sys. at max. & NEVER HEAR that skid noise.

well worth the money.
i couLD have gone with trd calipers, but there over 2g's.
now i need trd rotors & trd pads.

we just did the EBC rotor & yellowstuff pads & i bet the results would be to close to call.
www.placeforbrakes.com
is the cheapest i found. i told them they would get some call's.
now hopefully more people will follow.
if it saves you 1 accident, there worth it.
thanks for the praise,
i'll try to give you points,
gorilla

Well tonight on the way home from work I was forced to find out just how good the new brake hardware was. When I pushed down the pedal was firm and the yellowstuff pads have more grip than my tires have traction. My truck shed speed immediately tires chirping all the way until I let off. I can only wonder why in the hell I waited so long to upgrade my brakes. If you want strong brakes on your truck don't think twice get the ebc slotted rotors and yellowstuff 4k kevlar pads. I remember when I read gorilla's post about his upgrade to this hardware and I was a bit skeptical. Let me assure you he was not exaggerating about the braking power this hardware delivers. Thank you gorilla for turning me on to this hardware.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i heard from another member that his made noise.
well in my case, i had zero noise from the install to 1100miles.
from 60 to 0.
0 to 60 and up to thriple digets.
i never heard any noise at any time.
but he used i belive the same rotors but green pads.
i have the yellow.
simply amazing results.
but i'm a heavy foot, love to play, so my braking is harder than most of you.
like i said, if you can stop faster, it will be well worth it.
so far so good approx 1100 miles.
the last 100miles was testing. simply perfection so far.
this web site does allow certain posts.
but belive me, they work.
and it's like night & day to compare the oem to ebc's type we bought.
try the pads, if you don't want to change the rotors. i'm not to sure of the rotor's difference in materials.
but the pads, and extreme grip!
gorilla

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use the yellowstuff 4000 pads and they grip like hell. If you want maximum stopping power then use the yellowstuff. My rotors are quiet and don't make any discernable noise or at least normal noises mask it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I just got back from my shop where I installed the Power Stop Slotted rotors and Green Stuff pads. Had some difficulty on the first one but the second one went on easier.

I drove down the street then back to the shop, maybe 200 yards, and it felt fine, quicker, better bite.

Then as I was driving home, I noticed it started to grind as the wheels turned. It was like one half of the rotor was grinding but the other half was fine, so as the wheel turned it was like "grr-grr-grr-grr". I could feel some kickback in the pedal and vibration in the wheel. It scared me. I pulled over and everything looked fine. So I slowly rode the brake in the parking lot of CVS and did a couple of quick stops. I got back on the road and it was still grinding a little bit but on down the road it smoothed out and feels fine again. Back home now and they work fine so far.
Maybe it was the "Brake-In Coating" on the pads that was grinding off? I hope that's all it was.

Any comments?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Braking was fine today, but I did notice when braking hard, it pulls to the left. Not a huge amount, but significant.
Anyone have any thoughts on what's causing this?

I also flushed my brake fluid today and there was what looked like quite a bit of grime in it. Dirt particles etc.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have to follow the bed in instructions for the rotors and pads. If you don't then you risk undesirable effects.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts