Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already researched this on this forum, but it ended up confusing me more than helping.

My 2000 Access cab does not have a factory alarm (no key fob, no typical dash security light from Toyota, etc...). I don't think I even have keyless entry (again, no key fob).

If I wanted to add a factory alarm keyless entry system, would I simply be able to add the RS3200 box, a remote, and the dash light/mic? My confusion from reading previous posts is it looked like you already had to have the keyless entry as an option, and I don't think I even had that as an option on my fairly plain 2000.

I know on other model Toyotas that the factory alarm and keyless entry can simply be added by installing the 3 things above, and the factory wiring harness for the RS3200 box is already there, so no wiring needed.

I'm just trying to research my options, and I realize a factory alarm isn't top of the line compared to aftermarket ones, but it would be good enough for my needs. If I go with an aftermarket alarm, I would end up getting a particular one that's about $500 installed, and I'd just assume spend a lot less than that on something I could install myself (plug and play Toyota system if possible).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Just get a Viper. You can get one of the lesser priced ones if you don't need remote start, 2-way fob, etc.

Cost less than factory.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks--I realize the lower end aftermarket alarms would work, but I've already picked out an aftermarket alarm and it would be $500 installed (yes, it's more than just a low end alarm), explained further down below.

I guess what I'm saying is if I just had to buy $100 worth of OEM parts off here or eBay and just have a factory alarm that I can plug in myself in 5 minutes, I'd rather do that than spend the $500 for an aftermarket alarm. If I'm going to go aftermarket, I'm going to get something better than just a basic system--because as long as I am going through the hassle of paying someone else to do it--I'd just assume do it right the first time. If I was going to do it myself (easy plug-on only) and it was only $100 for a basic factory system, I'd rather go that route. That, and I would trust a $100 worth of OEM parts more than I would trust a cheap aftermarket alarm (I've had and installed a few of them before). I've lost all ambition to install aftermarket alarms myself, so I will be paying someone to install anything aftermarket. I have done a few alarm installs on much older Toyotas, long before the electrical systems got so complicated (and easy to screw up). Not sure if my reasoning makes sense, but that's what it is....

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Thanks--I realize the lower end aftermarket alarms would work, but I've already picked out an aftermarket alarm and it would be $500 installed (yes, it's more than just a low end alarm), explained further down below.

I guess what I'm saying is if I just had to buy $100 worth of OEM parts off here or eBay and just have a factory alarm that I can plug in myself in 5 minutes, I'd rather do that than spend the $500 for an aftermarket alarm. If I'm going to go aftermarket, I'm going to get something better than just a basic system--because as long as I am going through the hassle of paying someone else to do it--I'd just assume do it right the first time. If I was going to do it myself (easy plug-on only) and it was only $100 for a basic factory system, I'd rather go that route. That, and I would trust a $100 worth of OEM parts more than I would trust a cheap aftermarket alarm (I've had and installed a few of them before). I've lost all ambition to install aftermarket alarms myself, so I will be paying someone to install anything aftermarket. I have done a few alarm installs on much older Toyotas, long before the electrical systems got so complicated (and easy to screw up). Not sure if my reasoning makes sense, but that's what it is....
First of all the first years of the Tundra used the Toyota RS-3000 Security system. The RS-3200 system came later. I added the RS-3000 VIP system to my former 2000 Tundra but those kits are extremely scarce by now and were $250 on E-Bay seven years ago. If your Tundra never had OEM security like mine, there are no OEM parts or pieces existing in your truck and you will be starting from scratch.
As the other posters said your best option would be aftermarket. The RS-3000 wasn't any better than a decent aftermarket system and didn't offer the options available from the others. Don't want to discourage you but facts are facts.

Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts