Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding the Prodigy controller to my '05 DC 4WD with factory towing package and I am wondering if I need to (or should) order the "Toyota Brake Control Wiring Harness for Prodigy Brake Control - 3040" from Prodigy along with the controller itself. I have the little "pigtail" harness that came from the dealer - I have heard that this is intended to plug into the factory harness and bridge to a controller, but I'm a little confused as to all the pieces I might need. (I'm a noob at this towing thing).

Thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Toyota specific harness isn't **needed** but sure make things easier

I'm adding the Prodigy controller to my '05 DC 4WD with factory towing package and I am wondering if I need to (or should) order the "Toyota Brake Control Wiring Harness for Prodigy Brake Control - 3040" from Prodigy along with the controller itself. I have the little "pigtail" harness that came from the dealer - I have heard that this is intended to plug into the factory harness and bridge to a controller, but I'm a little confused as to all the pieces I might need. (I'm a noob at this towing thing).

Thanks in advance,
The "Toyota Brake Control Wiring Harness for Prodigy Brake Control" isn't truly needed...but it will make hooking up the controller a simple plug and play action. You can use the pigtail harness that came with the truck (the one given to you by the dealer) and carefully solder each of its wires to the correct corresponding wire in the generic harness that will come with the Prodigy. If you've got gobs of time...and really like to solder wires ;) ....this DIY soldering approach will save you about $12 (or so). Back in the olden days (before Tekonsha started selling this newfangled ;) "Toyota Brake Control Wiring Harness for Prodigy Brake Control"), we real and manly towing guys ;) had no choice but to do that soldering job ourselves to connect the two harnesses together.

My recommendation: spend the few bucks it will take to buy the "Toyota Brake Control Wiring Harness for Prodigy Brake Control" and spend your time on more productive things than soldering wires together. If this harness had been available when I installed a Prodigy in my Tundra (believe me, I looked real hard to find one :) ), I would have cheerfully passed up the soldering experience. :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ray - that is pretty much what I figured would be the case. Good to hear that this available harnesss make it a Plug & Play affair. That is great news, since I do indeed have better things to do than break out my Weller soldering station, "solder sucker", and heat shring tubing for a saturday afternoon. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts