Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a bed liner for my '07 DC and the install went pretty smoothly, but when it came time to put the front rail back on, the instructions seemed to talk about some parts I think I didn't get with my liner. For those of you who have a bed liner on the under rail beds, are there some kind of clamps that fit on the front rail to hold the front of the bed liner down? Also, they talk about tapping a key hole with a plastic mallet (I do not understand where or even what this is). Help!
mjg:ts:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It looks as if the install doesn't require anything to hold down the front part of the bedliner--you just take off the front rail, and pop in both sides, and then replace the rail. The parts guy told me it will shape itself to the bed over time..took me about 30 minutes by myself. Toyota would have charged me $190!:mad:

mjg

·
Registered
357 Posts
I bought a bed liner for my '07 DC and the install went pretty smoothly, but when it came time to put the front rail back on, the instructions seemed to talk about some parts I think I didn't get with my liner. For those of you who have a bed liner on the under rail beds, are there some kind of clamps that fit on the front rail to hold the front of the bed liner down? Also, they talk about tapping a key hole with a plastic mallet (I do not understand where or even what this is). Help!
how about this? I do not know if this is standard with the rails and the bed liner or a add on part for holding down the bed rail?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
---------------------------------------------------------------------
As for "tapping the keyhole", they are talking about the front (back of cab) tiedown rail. The outer holes of the bed wall are threaded, whereas the middle one is a keyhole shaped. To remove the front rail, remove all screws, then the middle will have to be slid (tapped with soft faced hammer) left or right to fully remove rail. I have seen several over the rail bedliners at dealers and a few have removed/damaged the center keyhole fastener rather than drill the hole slightly larger in the liner. On an under rail liner I don't see where the need to remove the rail comes from unless it has those angle pieces shown in mainliner's photo. Go to a dealer and look at the holes in the bed of a base or SR5 model that does not have the optional tie down rails and it will be much clearer.
EDIT: From the looks of the plastic angled pieces shown in mainliner's photo, they are behind the rail and could make the center keyhole fastener more difficult to slide and lock in place. The center of the rail where it is locked in the keyhole there is a little play to aid installation of the rails and the extra thickness of the plastic underneath it is what will require a little force from the mallet. The centermost section of the rail is not as strong as the areas between two screws since it is not pulled down tight to the front bed wall.

·
Registered
251 Posts
how about this? I do not know if this is standard with the rails and the bed liner or a add on part for holding down the bed rail?
This is the part you need .4' Piece that holds the front of the liner .(in the pics) It should have been taped to the tail gate protector<,,,At least the last ones we got had that with it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. I sure had something like that in mind after I dropped it in since it looks as if water could get behind it pretty easily, but I called my dealer twice and they insisted that there is nothing that holds the front. I'm going to have to see some on the lot and see what they've done, and then show them! :mad:
Thanks for the comments + pics :)

mjg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts