Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching this forum and not getting much luck. I asked the dealer but they dont seem to want to help me out. :(

I am trying to see if the key that newer corolla has would work in tundras after getting the chip programmed and key cut and keyless fob programmed. :confused:

The key that I am speaking of looks like this:

Back side, http://www.elecb2b.com/images/sku_16346_1.jpg

Front side, http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/item/115/712/283/4Oiq.jpg

Has anyone done this experiment and it works? It sure would be nice to lighten the load of my keys. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I dont know for sure but I would be interested to find out as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am using the flip key or switchblade key from ebay from seller mykeyless. I have it for five months now. It does not have the oem look but easier to carry in the pocket. had it cut and programmed in the dealership.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I like both ideas the key with the remote and using a flip key. How much was the flip key anyway? To have programed?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I pretty sure I don't recall anyone who tried them keys yet but as long as they have a imobolizer chip and the remote part was the same frequency as our remotes I don't see why it wouldn't work, just have to program them to be reconised by the truck. I may poke around some this weekend on the techstream when its hooked up to my truck to see were I can maybe add a third key or something.

As for the switch blade style key thats interesting idea too. I like to see some pictures of it and your comments on its quality. I don't like cheezzy and cheap and from the pics on ebay it loks a little cheap but as everything you don't know till you get one and see for yourself. So Pinoy if you can report back on it and get soem pics that be great too.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I tried asking my dealer a few times but they never seem to know chet about it
I like the idea of having less bulk with the keys, since i also have the Lojack fob.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any update on this? My dealer didn't know for sure either. I asked them today. Pinoy - can you put up a pic or two of the flip key? How is the quality?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found the programming instructions for the Sequoia on their forums - should work with the Tundra I would assume:

1. Start with key out of ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and
drivers door is unlocked.

2. Insert key into the ignition (Do NOT Turn) and Pull key out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles
starting with lock. Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second.
(1Cycle = 1 lock and 1 unlock).
B. Close, then open drivers door.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles
starting with lock. Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second.
(1Cycle = 1 lock and 1 unlock).
B. Insert the key in the ignition cylinder.
C. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
D. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds the power door locks should cycle automatically indicating successful
entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1 second.
B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, press the lock button by
itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should cycle once
indicating successful programming. If the door locks do not cycle, or cycle twice.
repeat steps A and B in step 6 as your remote has not been accepted.
C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

7. Close drivers door.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. I agree, I dont see why it wouldnt work. I will look out for a new corolla key and hopefully the toyota dealer would be nice enough to help me with the cutting and maybe with the programming.

I will attempt to do the key chip programming like the last post above.

Will get back with you all with the results and maybe even pictures.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I agree, I dont see why it wouldnt work. I will look out for a new corolla key and hopefully the toyota dealer would be nice enough to help me with the cutting and maybe with the programming.

I will attempt to do the key chip programming like the last post above.

Will get back with you all with the results and maybe even pictures.
I am pretty sure the above method is only to program the remote to the truck not the chip to the imobolizer thats were the dealer will need to use the techstream on it I do believe.

There are many blanks you can get from ebay that look similar but I think you may want to see if you can find one that has a matching fcc id# if possible this would make sure the remote part should atleast work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any update on this? My dealer didn't know for sure either. I asked them today. Pinoy - can you put up a pic or two of the flip key? How is the quality?
I think I paid $50 to mykeyless at ebay. It was mailed and with me within 5 days. I know of a tech who has access to a techstream and paid him $40 to cut and program the flipkey. (now I have a third key). If through the dealer, one service writer quoted me $95.00 to cut and program and one service writer told me they would not program it if it is not an oem. It is not oem quality, I would not recommend it if you are a person who always accidentally drops his key coz I'm sure this flip key will be damaged easily by accidental drops. I handle it with precaution and I do not see any sign of wear after about five months of use. It serves my purpose until an OEM integrated key will be available. I want that style that the op has linked.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I would think a dealer or someone with a techstream could program in a corolla key without cutting it. that way if it failed, the key could be reused on a corolla.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I think I paid $50 to mykeyless at ebay. It was mailed and with me within 5 days. I know of a tech who has access to a techstream and paid him $40 to cut and program the flipkey. (now I have a third key). If through the dealer, one service writer quoted me $95.00 to cut and program and one service writer told me they would not program it if it is not an oem. It is not oem quality, I would not recommend it if you are a person who always accidentally drops his key coz I'm sure this flip key will be damaged easily by accidental drops. I handle it with precaution and I do not see any sign of wear after about five months of use. It serves my purpose until an OEM integrated key will be available. I want that style that the op has linked.
Thanks for the pictures, it answers all my questions on its quality not to good as you also mentioned. Do you by chance have any information on what the FCC ID # on that flip key is ?

I am doing some research trying to see if maybe I can find a remote/key all in one that may work for our trucks but I need to verfiy some assumptions on my part to be sure I am correct. Then again maybe I may just need to be the guinea pig on this and just go for it.
Hmmmmm :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
The FCC id is GQ43VT20T. I believe it is the same as the one on the oem key. The fj cruiser key may work if it has the same fcc no.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I want to try and get the FJ Cruiser key set up for my Tundra. Seems like the best bet to me.

That is what my LX470 key looked like. I preferred that more than the key plus fob set we get.

I hope those will work.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The FCC id is GQ43VT20T. I believe it is the same as the one on the oem key. The fj cruiser key may work if it has the same fcc no.
Pinoy, thanks for posting the confirmation and explains why the flip key unit you got worked without issue when you had the dealer add it.

Well after some more hunting and what not I figured I be the willing to give it a try and ordered up a new key similar to the one in the first post but as we have guessed to get this to work we need to find a remote key combo that has similar FCID Number on it as our trucks GQ43VT20T.

I finally got my ebay buy in for a combo key with a FCID GQ4-29T it runs on the same frequesncy as our key so I figured I give it a try for the 50.00 and see what happens.

Well I have bad news to report I hooked up my Techstream and tried to register just the remote first and its just not reconsing it at all when I am told to hit the buttons on the remote. I figured with the Techstream if it was going to work it work without all the odd ball instructions of putting the key in the ignition and what not thatwas on a earlier posted. So no luck but not total lost since I can probably still sell this uncut key and fob to someone else with a Toyota that it will work on. Also the Techstream shows me I have 2 already programed and have 2 more slots so if anyone has a dealer tell you you can't add a third or fourth remote they are full of crap. :rolleyes:

Anyone need a combo remote key for a corolla or other toyota with the FC# I posted ealier let me know I maybe able to sell you a blank at a good price. :D

Now we know if these remote/keys will work or not.... :cool: Plus I wanted to get back to some of you that was really interested in this mod possibly as a option.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Did you buy the switch blade key? if so did you program it like the 2nd poster suggested? I bought a switchblade key myself since I did not get a FOB at all so I wanted one. I Hope the switch blade works with the programming sequence given.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Did you buy the switch blade key? if so did you program it like the 2nd poster suggested? I bought a switchblade key myself since I did not get a FOB at all so I wanted one. I Hope the switch blade works with the programming sequence given.
I tried one similar to the OP that has the key and remote both as one unit. If you got a swicth blade key similar to the guy that posted pictures here you should not have issues with getting it programmed, as he said its has the same FCCID # as our remotes. I did not try to program with the method described here since I have the Techstream software I went more direct route and if that didn't work, it wasn't going to work. You can try the method now to see if the remote fob may work now by just going through the steps if it works at all it give you a confirmation lock and unlock (shows it went into programing mode) before you have to hit the keyfob buttons at the same time.

But why try that at all since you will have to take the key to the dealer to program in the chip (immobolizer portion) with the techstream anyhows. You may also find a locksmith with other tools possibly that can do it too. As your at the dealer or locksmith have them do the remote at that time too its as easy as 1,2,3 steps with the techstream.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Wanted to post a follow up post on a new project I am working on probably wont be done for a few more weeks since I am heading out of town on vacation this weekend. I plan to retorfit our remote into a case that looks like this and if all works as planned I be able to test it out. I be sure to post a new thread and some pictures of my process if it works if not, you wont hear about it. :D Well I know some of you are interested, so I keep you guys posted on my progress.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/gallery/files/1/0/6/4/1/4/flipkey.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts