Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE
Thank you guys, for your really helpful recommendation and your concerned, Yes I'm taking a precaution before setting up an appointment, I decided to run the VIN CHECK from this site: Detailed Vehicle History Report For any Vehicle - 100% Accurate, Its cheap, I found an Auction records and PICTURES! thank fully, The car seems like there's no damage until you look carefully and notice that this car Rear Wheel steering! :LOL::ROFLMAO: ! Give me your thought guys!
Here is the car report: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/5TBET34196S547820

Hello, Thanks for having me in this amazing community, I have been a great Toyota tundra enthusiast and recently I found an affordable one used car in my location
I am someone who “looks before they leap” so I am researching this vehicle to ensure it is in good shape before buying. So I found this 2006 Toyota Tundra selling for $11,300 with 99417 Miles, but it has a Salvage title, I would to hear from you guys on what to look for when buying a salvage title,

I am hoping to also get some suggestions from you here are some things I am hoping to inspect:
  • Smelling upholstery to check if was involved in a flood
  • Noise in the engine
  • Check the transmission
  • Coolant and oil leaks

Here are some pictures of the car
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Automotive design
tun

Attachments

·
Registered
06 Limited 4x4
839 Posts
Hello, Thanks for having me in this amazing community, I have been a great Toyota tundra enthusiast and recently I found an affordable one used car in my location
I am someone who “looks before they leap” so I am researching this vehicle to ensure it is in good shape before buying. So I found this 2006 Toyota Tundra selling for $11,300 with 99417 Miles, but it has a Salvage title, I would to hear from you guys on what to look for when buying a salvage title,

I am hoping to also get some suggestions from you here are some things I am hoping to inspect:
  • Noise in the engine
  • Check the transmission
  • Coolant and oil leaks

View attachment 160222
View attachment 160225 tun
No matter how imaculate and low miles it may be, it has a salvage title. I'd never pay even close to that asking price for anything less than a clean title.

That being said, if you inspect it and like it and your insurance is ok with it, low-ball the hell out of your offer. No more than $5k.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Seems a little high. 2wd or 4wd? Do you know why it's a salvage? Also, some insurance companies won't insure a salvage vehicle so check with them as well.
Yep, this is what I was gonna say. Insuring it may be an issue even if everything else checks out. If it’s at a dealer ask for the car fax or you can do it yourself and see why it’s salvaged.
I’m in the boat of never buying a salvage title though as vehicles are trouble enough without having to deal with say, bad tire wear from frame damage or electrical gremlins from water…etc

·
Registered
339 Posts

• Noise in the engine
  • Check the transmission
  • Coolant and oil leaks

View attachment 160222
View attachment 160225 tun
Salvage title or R title? There's a big difference.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
When I bought my 96 Acura it was 1 year old, had 9k miles on it, and it had a salvage title.
My (then) son-in-law was an unpaid middleman on the sale.
I paid about $15k less than it would have cost new but wanted it cheaper.
He got a little upset with me, so I just paid it.

Now it's 27 years old and has been a great car and I never had a problem insuring it.
Right now, it's still running great, but it has just under 100k miles on it.
We don't get around much at our age.

I realize buying with a salvage title can be a crap shoot, but I'd try to find out exactly why it has a salvage title.
I believe in AZ if the vehicle had been stolen and recovered, it would need a salvage title, but I could be wrong, but think I'm right.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I've heard salvage titles are becoming more common. Parts are harder to get so insurance companies are quicker to write off a vehicle just because they dont want to have it sitting around for months waiting to get repaired. So even with a smaller fender bender this can happen.
I doubt your're going to see this truck go for $5k. Supply of new vehicles are at record lows right now which drives up the price of used stuff as well. Its a sellers market.
And as said above several times, find out what was damaged before making any decisions.

Reactions: xsnrg06Limited

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys, for your really helpful recommendation and your concerned, Yes I'm taking a precaution before setting up an appointment, I decided to run the VIN CHECK from this site: Detailed Vehicle History Report For any Vehicle - 100% Accurate, Its cheap, I found an Auction records and PICTURES! thank fully, The car seems like there's no damage until you look carefully and notice that this car Rear Wheel steering! :LOL::ROFLMAO: ! Give me your thought guys!
Here is the car report: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/5TBET34196S547820

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
I guess it said rear wheel drive.
I have no idea what 2wd trucks go for.
The damage doesn't seem too bad.
I'd definitely check out the frame and wheel tracking.
Maybe an alignment would help?
I do think they are asking too much for it though.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
If you're allowed, take it to a reputable body shop and get a pro's opinion on the damage done and how solid the repair is do it. Or get a pro to come look at it on site.
If you are good with what your told from a shop, make the decision YOU are comfortable with, because you're the one who will have to live with buying it or not.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Make sure that the frame is not tweeked. When my son totaled his 03 the insurance company gave him it's value and sold it back to him for $700. He had $5000 worth of lift kit and off-road parts on it. He parted it out and ended up with twice it's book value.
Dealers pick these "salvaged title" trucks up "CHEAP", like my son did and if they can make them road worthy they put some fix-up parts or paint on them and sell them. Not blaming the dealer because they may well be a good vehicle that would have cost the insurance company more than they were willing to spend to get it right. It's just business for a dealer. A complete inspection is needed and I would not pay anywhere near full "good title" price for it.
Are there any service records? Be cautious, pretty and smells OK can get you a recently bathed skunk if you shop with your eyes closed... LOL Chap

·
Registered
9 Posts
I echo what everyone else is saying, they want far to much money for salvaged vehicle.

If you like the truck, I would take it to a body shop that can inspect the vehicle, including frame alignment, and see what they determine. If the frame is bent you could burn through tires at a high rate. They can also check to make sure the body and frame are repaired correctly and won't sacrifice the well being of you or your passengers if you have an accident. They will tell you if it's worth $5,000 or worth nothing. The report you gave us didn't say what was damaged, so there is nothing to go on as to whether or not it's a good idea to buy the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would take a really hard look at that right rear frame. Previous owner really struck something very solid to rip the axle away from the spring and to also pull the rear bumper out like that.
I would also test drive this and have someone follow you to make sure that the rear end tracks straight and does not "dog leg". Check the frame where the spring mounts front and rear and check the drive shaft as well.

All of this said, it does sure look like the previous owner took care of this. Darn, the price sounds high to me, but do an NADA or Kelly Blue book check.
If you do buy it, selling it later may be an issue with that "Salvage" title, so don't get taken on the purchase price!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 access cab 4.7 L
53 Posts
Looking at the vehicle history record that you send us, the estimated repair cost is near $19,000.00. I am wondering what issues will cause such a high repair quote.
Adding to the selling price you are near a $30,000.00 salvaged 2006 truck. I like it but certainly will not invest that amount a money on a salvaged truck. My opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m in a similar situation but I own a salvage title 2006 Tundra Limited in NY.
During Super Storm Sandy I had to drive through 4 feet of water to get back to high ground. Truck did fine never got water in air box. I only had 20 or so thousand miles on truck at the time. Got home and washed the entire truck pulled tires and flushed bottom of truck. Due to almost every vehicle in the neighborhood getting ruled a total I had it inspected and insurance automatically totaled it since the carpet was wet and they felt is was safer to rule a loss than be liable down the road. I fought with them but eventually bought it back.
I’ve replaced two O2 sensors, both front calipers and my exhaust. As I write this the truck is in for a paint job because I just can’t let it go.
only 108k on it. Just did water pump and timing belt because it was due not because of an issue. Also replaced Radiator.
I looked into trade for new but no one will touch a salvage title. I understand but their loss these trucks are like tanks!
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
It looks like the center bolt may be broke and if it is that's an easy fix. I would look at the spring hangers really good and if they are intact then more than likely it is the center bolt. I would sure talk them down because it's a 2 wheel drive and evidently they don't want to fix it themselves.

·
Registered
172 Posts
2wd, no leather, no sunroof, and you will be buying tires every 5k miles cuz it will never align right again. Plus it will give you zero resale value w the salvage title. granted, Ive seen worse. Its a Tundra, and some nut may give them $12k for it. I would rather look for a well maintained 4wd w 200k on it for far less money. the Engines are the last thing you have to worry about, especially if the timing belt has been done. its all the little things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts