Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled up to the golf course yesterday morning and as I was unloading, a fresh 2014 Tundra (of course) parks right next to my 2008 CM. I joked with the guy and complimented the truck. Turned out, he was a dealer and he was driving a demo. THEN, he proceeded to tell me all the things wrong with the truck and why I should keep my '08 as long as possible! I was baffled. A dealer, talking me out of trading in my truck?

Couple things he mentioned: CM back seat doesn't slide, less storage, headlights don't turn off automatically (is that true?), no HID option, less interior lighting, gas mileage is no better (duh!), no upgrade in stereo and the same drive train / trailer brake thing everyone is complaining about.

I couldn't believe this was coming from a dealer! I only have 98k on my truck and plan to go to 200k so I won't be trading in anytime soon, I just wanted to share this odd conversation coming from a Toyota dealer rep.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
My dealer salesman, who is also a friend, shared similar thoughts. Maybe the message will eventually get back to someone that matters at Toyota. It's time to step it up not dial it back!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes Yes anyone who knows anting about trucks or keeps up with the forums knows all these defects. It is what it is. Obviously the engineers at Toyota need to give there head a shake but until then either keep your older gen 2 truck or bite the bullet and get the new one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wanna hear something even weirder. Homes shopping network ran an hour of " get to know Toyota" last night. Apparently if you buy a new Tundra you get a free gas grill.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think that most of us are aware of the pros and cons of the 2014 Tundra. For some, what changes were made are enough for them to go ahead and purchase the new truck. For the rest of us, we are patiently waiting for some more substantial carrots to be dangled in front of us before we consider spending our hard earned money. I am in the latter group.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I pulled up to the golf course yesterday morning and as I was unloading, a fresh 2014 Tundra (of course) parks right next to my 2008 CM. I joked with the guy and complimented the truck. Turned out, he was a dealer and he was driving a demo. THEN, he proceeded to tell me all the things wrong with the truck and why I should keep my '08 as long as possible! I was baffled. A dealer, talking me out of trading in my truck?

Couple things he mentioned: CM back seat doesn't slide, less storage, headlights don't turn off automatically (is that true?), no HID option, less interior lighting, gas mileage is no better (duh!), no upgrade in stereo and the same drive train / trailer brake thing everyone is complaining about.

I couldn't believe this was coming from a dealer! I only have 98k on my truck and plan to go to 200k so I won't be trading in anytime soon, I just wanted to share this odd conversation coming from a Toyota dealer rep.
I find this funny because I don't how many times on here that I have read how people wished the CM seat would fold up because it would give more room for storage. It doesn't matter if it goes up or down the total amount of usable space remains the same, and personal I love having the rear seat slide, recline and fold down when I need it for storage.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My headlights turn off automatically... there is even some settings on the entune unit to control how long they stay on after the truck is off.. maybe that truck just had it set to never turn off or whatever..

Another uninformed dealer, big surprise there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My headlights turn off automatically... there is even some settings on the entune unit to control how long they stay on after the truck is off.. maybe that truck just had it set to never turn off or whatever..

Another uninformed dealer, big surprise there.
I was curious about the headlights. I assumed all the models had auto shut off.

I will keep my '08 and its cloudy white paint spots for years to come!

·
Registered
18 Posts
98% of the salesmen for Ford, Chevy, and RAM know absolutely nothing about trucks.

99.9% of the Toyota salesmen know absolutely nothing about trucks. What is worse is that they do not know why the Tundra is better in so many ways to the other brands.

Yes many Tundra owners did not like giving up on the sliding seat, but I happen to prefer the fold up seat because I can get larger or more bulky items in there, which is important to me in bad weather.

There is more accessible storage behind the backseat in the 2014 CM, than there is in the Ford. And that includes having the JBL woofer in there that takes up two thirds of the space; it is still more workable space than the Ford.

To me the JBL sound is significantly better than the Ford, and the woofer does not sit in the middle of the floor.

There is more interior lighting in the Tundra than my Ford.

My headlights are set to turn off at 30 seconds (same as Ford), which works for me. There are several different settings, but I will leave them on the default.

So far the MPGs are the same as the Eco; but I have only had the new truck two weeks.

As far as the drive train is concerned: The Eco’s are not good, period. The 5.0 Ford is not strong enough for truck duty and it uses the “same” tranny as the Eco which also broke in my Ford. The Chevy’s are burning oil and do not have the power. And I have already heard of those having trouble with the RAM 8 speed.

As of today, I had rather have the Tundra drive train than anything else on the market. I just simply could not buy more stuff that does not work. I do not have the time or money for it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ahh but there are so many nice upgrades that I just find so appealing.

1. Traditional style dash
2. Toyota moved the center HVAC/Radio closer to the driver (2007-2013 were closer to the passenger, how weird)
3. Much, much, much better fit and finish (the front clip is no longer wobbly)
4. Less useless features that add cost and complexity (power telescoping steering, memory seating, power flip down mirrors, passenger power no longer power) are not needed by me, so I am glad they have made them optional or removed them
5. The Tundra no longer has a spray painted dash (thanks Toyota)
6. Much better exterior styling

7. and most important, no more hideous pod-style gauges :D:D:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes many Tundra owners did not like giving up on the sliding seat, but I happen to prefer the fold up seat because I can get larger or more bulky items in there, which is important to me in bad weather.

There is more accessible storage behind the backseat in the 2014 CM, than there is in the Ford. And that includes having the JBL woofer in there that takes up two thirds of the space; it is still more workable space than the Ford.
Yeah totally agree, I could never warm up to the rear cargo seating of the 07 crew max, it was just a bad idea IMO. The new one is much more traditional and comparable to the big three.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just styling changes. The cosmetics look good, but no real functional changes and previous options stripped out. Great purchase if you're going from another brand or 1st Gen, waste of money IMHO if you already own a Gen 2.

Funny how some people are happy with less for less when they should be demanding more for less............ Or at least same for same.........

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey, it was designed in California, by Californians so no wonder it is going backwards with innovations! A high school kid could have done better! The reviews aren't too kind either.........I'll keep my '07 till the wheels fall off!

2014 Toyota Tundra revamp was mitigated by economic realities

2014 Toyota Tundra First Drive - Automobile Magazine

Who Designed The 2014 Toyota Tundra? - Four Wheeler Magazine
Californians want the latest and greatest anything, especially tech. Doesn't matter if it was designed on Easter Island, Toyota had the final say, as this is the result. The 4Runner, Rav4, Camry, and Corolla have all suffered the same fate.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Bought a '13 CM RW three months ago (only put 4K miles on it)...traded it in on a '14 CM TRD SR5 two weeks ago and couldn't be happier. In the short time I had my '13, the truck was at the dealer 4 times for numerous issues to include seat track, paint coming off the dash, and mechanical issues. My initial impression of my '14 is very positive. There seems to be a huge improvement over the fit and finish. The interior is whisper quiet, seats seem to be so much better quality, and the ride is significantly better. I love how the dash is alot closer to me and the overall driver experience is much better. I actually like how the rear seats fold up now compared to the back folding down on my '13. Overall, this '14 is the first vehicle in a long time that I absolutely love to drive and look for excuses to go places. I did not have the same experience with my '13. I strongly encourage those who haven't test driven a '14 to do so.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bought a '13 CM RW three months ago (only put 4K miles on it)...traded it in on a '14 CM TRD SR5 two weeks ago and couldn't be happier. In the short time I had my '13, the truck was at the dealer 4 times for numerous issues to include seat track, paint coming off the dash, and mechanical issues. My initial impression of my '14 is very positive. There seems to be a huge improvement over the fit and finish. The interior is whisper quiet, seats seem to be so much better quality, and the ride is significantly better. I love how the dash is alot closer to me and the overall driver experience is much better. I actually like how the rear seats fold up now compared to the back folding down on my '13. Overall, this '14 is the first vehicle in a long time that I absolutely love to drive and look for excuses to go places. I did not have the same experience with my '13. I strongly encourage those who haven't test driven a '14 to do so.
Very well said, and what you have just mentioned is exactly what shines with the new 14 Tundra.

How did you like the 13 gauges compared to the 14?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by BigTexTundra View Post
The Chevy’s are burning oil and do not have the power. And I have already heard of those having trouble with the RAM 8 speed.

As of today, I had rather have the Tundra drive train than anything else on the market. I just simply could not buy more stuff that does not work. I do not have the time or money for it.

Who says the Chevy's are burning oil and don't have power, and who is saying there are problems with the RAM 8-speed? I haven't seen any documentation on either of these. To the contrary, the most comprehensive test I have seen showed comparable or better power, acceleration, etc. from everyone except Titan as compared to the Tundra. Read it yourself at PickupTrucks.com - Special Reports

I certainly agree with you that Toyota makes good stuff, as I had very few problems with my 07 Tundra other than the bed bounce. Many others, however, have had significant problems with their Tundras.

Regarding Chevy, the last one I had was an 01 Silverado, and it was as reliable as my Tundra was. After 85K miles, neither truck ever used any oil. The small-block Chevy V8 is probably one of the most famous engines ever made, and I have never heard anyone say they burn oil. It's ironic that the Tundra 5.7 is the same displacement as the small block Chevy V8 was for decades.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Toyota must love you and vice versa. With the problems you had with your 13, I am very surprised you bought a 14, as I would have shopped for a different brand. It is encouraging to hear the dreaded bed bounce from the 07-13 is gone. Have you driven any other 14 trucks to compare the driving experience? Most of the magazines seem to pick the RAM and GM twins for having the best ride.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ordered a 1794 4x4 and it should arrive around 10 October. Very excited, as I am upgrading from a 2005 double cab Tundra. Never liked the GM brands and certainly nothing about Dodge excites me. Once considered a Raptor but just couldn't get comfortable about possibly owning a Ford. Although I wish the 2014 Tundra would have been "newer", this is definitely an upgrade for me and I'm excited. Saw a Platinum yesterday and didn't realize how bright the LED DRLs are!!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts