Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
New Kid on the Block
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I want to get some input on something I've been thinking about. I have an '04 DC 2wd that I've been wanting to get a little more lift out of. I currently have Fat Bobs's 2.75 strut spacer and Contitech air bags in the back. Right now I am at my limit of upper ball joint travel with my current spacer, and being a full time student eliminates my ability to go out and just buy a 3"+ lift or new UCA's. I got to thinking, on my old 4Runner I had a 4Crawler balljoint spacer that actually lifted the front end and increased travel. I understand that the 4runner uses torsion bars and a spacer would not function the same on our Tundras but what it would do is remove the great angle put on upper ball joint. After some research I realized that this is exactly what most major lift companies use in their 4"+ kits in conjunction with a sub frame assembly and a 4 or so inch strut spacer. Now I am not looking to go that high so I figure all I would need is a 1-1.5" BJ spacer that would allow me to go to a 3.5" strut spacer. After talking to Roger over at 4Crawler he seemed to believe that it was very doable. What do you guys think? Here's the one on the Tuff Country lift, sorry for the small size.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Do some research on the Tuff Country 4" kit. You find that the ball joint spacer on a Tundra does not mix. For a street machine, it make work just fine but for an offroad vehicle I would advise against it.

That is why Tuff Country came out with the 4.5" kit that eliminates the ball joint spacer and replaces the whole spindle instead.

·
Registered
128 Posts
might be a better idea to cut your spindle and put a steel block in and weld it back together

·
New Kid on the Block
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
might be a better idea to cut your spindle and put a steel block in and weld it back together
Now THAT sounds scary! I use my truck lightly offroad at the deer camp but I was thinking of making something similar to TC's spacer but not as tall as theirs is about 4 inches long. Any other ideas on how to drop the angle on the ball joints without spending a ton of money?

·
Registered
128 Posts
see if you could buy the spindles from rcd

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
see if you could buy the spindles from rcd
I was going to get the TC spindles to replace the spacers on my lift. Someone on here priced them out and IIRC they are close to $1000. It's posted in one of the Tuff Country threads. Might as well buy complete kit for that price.

·
Registered
128 Posts
haha thats crazy what a rip off

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have seen a Gen1 Tundra that used the ball joint spacers above with factory UCA's. The truck had 35" MT's on it and looked like Bilstein 5100's. I was wondering how he was able to fit the tires as it didn't look like he had done the normal lifting I have seen or read about for the Tundra.

So, it looks like it is possible, I was wondering how safe those spacers may be. They did look just like the ones above.....

·
New Kid on the Block
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have seen a Gen1 Tundra that used the ball joint spacers above with factory UCA's. The truck had 35" MT's on it and looked like Bilstein 5100's. I was wondering how he was able to fit the tires as it didn't look like he had done the normal lifting I have seen or read about for the Tundra.

So, it looks like it is possible, I was wondering how safe those spacers may be. They did look just like the ones above.....
Did he use a tall strut spacer as well?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't remember there being a strut spacer installed, I think they were 5100's cranked all the way up??....Wish I would have take a photo of that setup....It looked like he had it on for a while and that the truck had seem offroad use....probably nothing too severe though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts