Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I stopped by the muffler shop yesterday to inquire about having a new muffler put on. I basically said I want a muffler with a nice sound and no hwy drone. They guy looked at me and so don't even bother, can't be done. He said engine on these things won't produce anything other than loud. It's the first time I ever had a shop tell me to not bother...

It was certainly a confusing experience and I definitely don't want too loud. Another thing is I've never owned a car with an aftermarket muffler, so I'm a newb all the way round...

thoughts? comments? LOL

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have a Flowmaster 50. It has a nice mellow tone and no highway drone. I did not want a loud raspy sound either. I just wanted my truck to sound like a V8 and the stock system is way too quiet for my taste. I am very happy with my setup. I'm sure more members will chime on, but there's a few options out there that will give you what you are looking for. When you do decide, I would go to another shop though!! ;)

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
He probably owns a Chevy truck, and hates Toyotas.. ;)

I would buy the Corsa Exhaust. If you just want a muffler, I would say a Flowmaster or a Classic Chambered Muffler. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys, thanks again! oh, and sorry for all the damn typo's in first post, had a 3 year old crawling all over me! i think i'm just going to hook up a flowmaster!

·
Registered
133 Posts
hey bkdelux

i had a similar experience...

guy told me couldnt be done with 4 cats before muffler and he said 1 after but hat might be a resonator....

either way they told me one cant touch it cause all the computer crap and 2 dont bother

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey bkdelux

i had a similar experience...

guy told me couldnt be done with 4 cats before muffler and he said 1 after but hat might be a resonator....

either way they told me one cant touch it cause all the computer crap and 2 dont bother

SO i guess you did nothing? I'd love a little extra rumble that's for sure, but I also don't won't to rock the boat on how Toyota has this tuned!

·
Registered
134 Posts
i heard alot of good bout flowmaster 50 series cuz it not too loud, havent heard for myself tho, it was also my first time to muffler shop but i wanted it loud tho

·
Banned
444 Posts
I diffidently wouldn't do the flowmaster. Like I always say, you going to pay for the muffler anyway, WHY NOT get one that's going to produce power.

BUT: I would actually Suggest that TRD Exhaust. Its not loud at all when cursing, but gets a good rumble when you lay into it. You may want to check into the Corsa as well. They make very good exhaust systems, but I don't know about drone loudness ETc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the Corsa on my 2010. No drone. Not really too loud. Perfect for what I wanted.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Hey Cater - if we were just adding a muffler, which one would "produce power" without being too loud, at a reasonable cost...

·
Banned
444 Posts
Hey Cater - if we were just adding a muffler, which one would "produce power" without being too loud, at a reasonable cost...

I should rephrase that, "Allow you get have more power" less restriction = more power.

I would say the banks monster is going to be the LEAST Restrictive of them all. But at a price of Something like $250. But they sound..well not so good. you might as well not even have a muffler really.

then you have magnaflow, Which is what I chose. It's a straight through muffler as well.

flowmaster Is designed for sound... Drone is just as bad as the other two mentioned. but is Still restrictive. Granted, not as restrictive as OEM but Almost.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought the TRD was notorious for drone?
TRD may very well have drone, but I guarantee its not as bad as some people want you to think. Sounds stock until you get on it.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Okay, I have always ben a fan of flowmaster until I put a pair on my Dodge, way too damn loud and the drone was horrible. Went with a pair of magnaflows and differnt exit locations and tips, it helped but you could still hear it.

New truck new exhaust. I have a buddy that owns a muffler shop and therfore will never buy a drop in type system. WE will make one.

Did a bit of ressearch on this site and a few otehrs and bit the bullet (after harassing a few people first) and bought an Aero Turbine XL. Cut out the factory muffler, inserted a "Y" pipe and installed the Aero. Nice rumble at idle, hasrdly noticable. You can hear it in the truck in town where you are always on and off the accelerator pedal. On the open road it is noticable to about 60 then goes away. Some call this drone I can hear the exhaust note to 60 but after that unless you are on the throttle you have nothing.

I have no noticable loss in power if any and the bottom end torque seems to be up. No dyno runs but it is the beast that is the 5.7.

I am planning on installing a resonated tip to help the sound levele below 60.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Hey OG - What inlet/outlet size did you use? Also, you didn't mention whether or not you kept/removed the stock resonator behind the muffler.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
2.25 inlet on the "Y" pipe into a 3" in / out Aero. Yes thr stock resonator is still in place. Pulled a small camper over the fourth of July at 70 -75 and you could barely hear the exhaust, it couldn't have been too loud or the wife, kids and dogs would have complained. Heck we even drove over wolf creek pass and had no compalints, nice deep mellow tone.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
^^^ Og, any chance you can post a sound clip?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I am trying to get a guy from work who is big into the computer ,sound board thing take a clip so I can post it. I keep sending him out of town and don't ever have the time to go meet up with him to get it done. I will work on it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My friend replaced his stock muffler with a Magnaflow DI/SO and left everything else stock. The muffler guy said the stock resonator will help keep the drone down. At first no one really noticed he had an exhaust even when he got on the throttle. But after break-in its a little louder on the top-end.

I drove his truck one day after driving mine and it was really annoying on the freeway. I have drove his truck before and didn't even notice, but when driving back to back it is really noticeable.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i heard alot of good bout flowmaster 50 series cuz it not too loud, havent heard for myself tho, it was also my first time to muffler shop but i wanted it loud tho
I like the idea of the 50 series also.

How loud is your set-up phuong. What size piping is this? I want to do 2 1/4. Performance wise, this is my ideal set-up,with a x pipe, though I don't know anything.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I agree with Gutz - If you're looking for quiet with no drone the Flowmaster 50 or Corsa would be your best bet. First setup I did on my truck was the DI/DO Flowmaster 50 with 2.25" piping and it was way too quite for my taste. Had a little sound when you get on the gas, but almost no drone at highway speeds and light throttle...might be exactly what you're looking for.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts