Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to agree with the posters who are disappointed in the recent Car and Driver (and Motor Trend) reviews of the pickups. The Tundra did seem to do better on most of the objective tests, other than in rear cab space and bed volume, which are obviously smaller. Some of their quotes were ridiculous. "Tundra needs more torque" ? Why? It sprints faster than any other unloaded, and more than holds its own loaded down. Why ask for more torque on this truck, when the bigger Ford is slower and they don't mention it as needing more torque? I subscribe to both of them, and over the years I've come to suspect that advertising dollars have a lot to do with how their comparisons turn out, despite their understandable protests to the contrary. Haivng owned each of the truck brands reviewed in the last several years, I notice how far off they are on some points, and I can't understand why, till I remember they're a business first and foremost. I suspect that when the Tundra kept winning comparisons early on, they got a few angry calls from the Big 3 honchos, with the resulting realization that they would eventually lose ad revenue if things didn't change. Just Picture Rodney Dangerfield shoving $20 in the golf referee's hand saying "keep it fair, keep it fair" and you have to understand that there's no way they would continually alienate the majority of their advertisers. I think they just try to mix it up so everybody wins now and then, and nobody pulls their ad campaigns. Read the comparos for information, but test drive them yourself to see how they really perform.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After looking closely at the C & D data something is very wrong with the Tundra final 1/4 mile speed and time. The tundra did 0-80 mph in 14.9 seconds which kicked all of the other trucks butt at that speed. Then the quarter mile time was clocked at 16.7 at 83 mph. C & D are you telling me the tundra could only go 3 mph faster in almost 2 seconds, what did they do put the brakes on before the quarter mile was up. I believe the final time was 15.7 and the 16.7 was a misprint. Anyone have any contacts at C & D to see if they can check their data again. Something very suspicious here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
And now I read that horse crap rating system on the last page where the actual testing I guess gets thrown out the window. The Dodge ties for first in only 4 catagories and the Tundra wins or ties for first in 9 catagories and the Dodge wins. This has to be the most irresponsible article I have ever looked at on a comparision of vehicles. I will not ever buy a C & D magazine again. Absolutely dumbfounded they would let that go to print.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read the C&D article yesterday, added up all thier figures, looked at their results and wondered why they even waisted their time and the readers time posting all those numbers when their decision was to be completely different from the stats. If they would have left all the stats out and just said that they personally preferred the Dodge, I could have lived with that as some people like mold, pain and suffering. Just don't write an artical showing me that 1 + 1 = 2 then tell me that in their opinion it's really 3. Although I guess anyone dumb enough to buy a Dodge over a Toyota or Chevy probably has a lifetime subscription and probably buy's any trash these guys deliver.

·
Registered
159 Posts
didnt you guys know about C&D's "affinity" for dodge chrysler? Let me tell a brief story. One time I went with a friend to a ride and drive put on by C&D and Skip Barber Racing School. (same Skip Barber who owns some dodge chrysler dealerships) They were putting the toyota camry and honda accord up against a Dodge Stratos. The honda and toyota models were stripped down base models, while the stratos was optioned to the hilt. All the while when we drove the cars, the Skip Barber instructors would say things like, "Isnt the dodge much better handling than the honda?" Didnt you notice the cavitation in the power steering pump of the honda?"

This ride and drive was supposed to be unbiased, but was clearly tilted. By the way, the honda smoked the competition in every category during the drive. After that day, ive never taken the opionion of C&D seriously.

·
Registered
14 Posts
C & D hosed the SC430 also in the same magazine, on a much smaller scale than the truck comparision. The SC430 won about everything mechanically but "We didn't care for the styling of it" . I emailed them 3 days ago and have not had a response back yet, probably won't either.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts