Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a problem that just started happening. Whenever I apply the brakes in my 2001 Sequoia, the interior lights dim to the point where you almost can't tell they are on during the day. This does not happen when the headlights/running lights are on. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It's kind of a normal thing to have your interior lights dim a bit when the truck RPM's drop a little when you idle the motor...due to the alternator not spinning as quickly. I did notice when I switched to a new battery at 100k miles, I didn't notice the lights getting dim at idle. Not sure if that's what might be your problem, or if you have an alternator issue or something up with the headlight wiring. Might want to check for corrosion on your ground cables etc. Someone with a similar problem may chime in as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no I understand that they would dim at night if the alternator was having a bit of a hard time keeping up but the thing is, this is happening while idling anyway. Like I can press the brake down and see the interior lights (AC backlighting for example, another example is the Drive indicator) dim down and as soon as I come off the brakes, they go back to full brightness. That's the issue I'm having. Its as though theres a power draw when hitting the brakes that draws power from those other interior lights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved. For anyone running LED taillight bulbs, just an FYI they can go bad, even though they are still lighting properly, and cause the problem I was having. I decided to check out all my brake light bulbs since thats where the problem was originating. Turns out that my drivers side brake light bulb was causing a power draw. This was with a VLED bulb if anyone was curious.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Good to know....glad you figured it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.