Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this problem?

I am 6'-3" tall. My truck is a '07 Tacoma X-Cab Pre-Runner SR5 stock. My wifes truck is a '07 Tacoma Dbl-Cab 4x4 TRD loaded.

In my truck the Interior Rear View Mirror is a blind spot for vision on most of the right side.

I have tried adjusting it low, but it blocks the view of the lower street surface when turing right, which is annoying and hazardous.

I have tried adjusting it high, but it creates a blind spot for viewing at most distances on the right side. Dangerous, when those "cautious" drivers pull out in front of you at the last few moments.

I'm getting pretty tired of either ducking down to look under or peering over the mirror.

I belive it is a 10 inch long mirror and my wife's truck has a "self-dimming" mirror which is about 8 inches long. Her mirror is not quite as annoying, but I still find the mirror placement is not as "user friendly" as the '05 Tacoma we used to own.

Best regards,
Few Bricks Shy

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm 6'1' in a '06 R/C ... experiencing the same thing .... one of the first things I noticed in the truck ... just couldn't adjust it right. My '94 had it's mirror mounted at the roof line .... a bit higher .... I suppose I'll deal with the lower one for now until I can come up with a solution ... or not!

·
Registered
293 Posts
there is a metal bracket glued to the windshield that the mirror screws to. if you remove the mirror from this bracket you can pry the bracket off of the windshield and re glue it on up higher. the glue is available at checker, auto zone, pep boys, etc. or, if you are getting the windshield replaced, just ask the tech to put the mirror back up higher.

·
Registered
124 Posts
there is a metal bracket glued to the windshield that the mirror screws to. if you remove the mirror from this bracket you can pry the bracket off of the windshield and re glue it on up higher. the glue is available at checker, auto zone, pep boys, etc. or, if you are getting the windshield replaced, just ask the tech to put the mirror back up higher.
Is this pretty much fool proof? :rolleyes: How do I remove the bracket? I know that they used to drop off at the wrong times. I used to inspection reactors for the Navy but there were plenty of manuals to rely on.

Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is this pretty much fool proof? :rolleyes: How do I remove the bracket? I know that they used to drop off at the wrong times. I used to inspection reactors for the Navy but there were plenty of manuals to rely on.

Thanks

i just went out and removed mine to be sure to give you accurate information. the mirror is attached to the bracket by a spring clip. it is unlocked by inserting a flat blade screwdriver into the slot located against the glass on the underneath side of the mirror. twist the screwdriver to unlock the clip and then slide the whole bracket up. you then must remove the metal bracket. i have never actually preformed this step as every time i have moved the mirror in a vehicle it had already fallen off. it is attached to the windshield by glue so perhaps try grabbing it with a pair of channel locks and twisting (this will probably be easier on the windshield than just pulling). after the successful removal of the metal bracket you will have to remove the black backing from the windshield. this can be done carefully with a razor blade. (it will however require a bit of patience) now you are ready to re-attach the metal bracket. here you might fun into some difficulty because at the hight you wish to attach the mirror the OEM windshield has the black dots (used for tinting). these may affect the adhesion of the glue but possibly can be removed via the razor blade. the cleanliness of the windshield where you wish to place the mirror is the most important step so that the mirror doesn't fall off. use alcohol or acetone. then, simply follow the instructions on the package of rear-view mirror adhesive to re-attach the bracket. once the glue is fully cured, (see package for curing time) the mirror simply slides back on from the top until secured. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:ts: Thanks for the replies, nice to know this is not a Toyota blind test to see who complains and why.

So a spring clip holds it on eh? That's why there is no Allen screw on the bottom to lock it in.

I don't endorse the "force the mirror mount plate off" theroy, I think a heat gun (hair dryer with an attitude:D ) directed with care should soften the glue to where a razor scrapper should take it off.

First though I'll borrow a similar mirror I just found on a old junk car at my father-in-law's garage. Then I'll test repositioning points before attempting to remove the attached mirror.

I'll keep you posted on what I find out!

Thanks Again!
Few Bricks Shy

·
Registered
124 Posts
i have never actually preformed this step as every time i have moved the mirror in a vehicle it had already fallen off.
Man, you have a lot on time on your hands .... got to get a hobby. Just kidding. Thanks for taking the time to see how the mirror is attached. I am still a little hesitant about removing the windshield mounting. The only time I have had to do this is the same ... when it has fallen off .... hate like heck to break something that isn't really broken itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It took me a couple of times but I got it. It helped to hold the arm in one hand and the mirror in the other and twist. I was worried it would break also but twist left or right 90 degrees and it comes right off.

Thanks for posting this thread !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts