Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having intermittent starting problems. I live in San Diego so not really a cold weather problem. This is what happens when it happens. I put the key in, Press the clutch, Turn the key and there is nothing, All the lights come on, but there is nothing from the starter, no clicking noises nothing. So I release the key and clutch and try a few more times and will get the same nothing. Eventually after a couple minutes the starter will all of a sudden kick in and it starts right up.

Revision:
I'm going to revise these symptoms because it happened to me in the middle of the day yesterday at the mall. I also am getting a faint click somewhere over by the starter. As I cannot be under the hood at the same time as I start it, I cannot tell. The problem is also so random at this time that I never know when it is going to happen to have someone else there listening. Since there is a sound I guess this would eliminate the clutch interlock switch as the problem.

It does not happen everyday but expect it is not something that is going to get better and it will probably get worse so am looking for solutions.

I have replaced the battery terminals as they were pretty bad. I have been told it could be the wires. My next thought is to replace the relay inthe fuse box as it is fairly cheap.

The truck is a 2000 toyota Tundra 3.4L Manual transmission. 177,000 miles.

What do you think? Is there another solenoid I can consider replacing before I put in a new starter?

Thank You.

D

·
Registered
749 Posts
When you depress the clutch, does it make good contact with the interlock switch? My Echo requires me to really press hard on the clutch to make contact with the switch on the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've wondered if the pedal could be the problem but do not know where the switch is located. Is there a way to test it? the other problem is that I need to test it when the problem exists which is not all the time at this point.

·
Registered
749 Posts
On my Echo, and I would imagine it is similar on the Tundra, there is a button, mounted near the firewall. When you push the clutch, the arm makes contact with the button, and allows it to start. I don't know if the button is normally open or normally closed, but you should be able to either jump it or disconnect it.

Like I said, I really need to put pressure on the clutch pedal to get it to start. Looks like whatever makes contact with the button is either worn down or bent. I can always get it started, so I haven't really messed with it, but it is bad enough, that if I put floor mats in, the clutch won't go down far enough to engage it.

That and the fact that I have 180,000 miles on it, I don't expect much out of it anymore...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I see it. It is a little switch on the back of the pedal. It looks ok on mine. next time it happens I'll play with it some. Is it possible that it is the relay in the Fuse box?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK so it happened again. This time while I was already out. Started fine in the morning but had a problem when I left the mall. I think I did notice a clicking from the starter this time though. I am not sure that I am getting complete silence when I turn the key. It sounds as if there may be a faint click at the starter. I think this sound will eliminate the Interlock switch as the problem.

So that leaves me with the relay or the wires before I dish out the big bucks for the starter. What is the likelyhood it is either of these?

D

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
It might be the starter. A rebuilt one for the 3.4 should actually be very inexpensive and easy to get off and replace. This will make everyone with a V8 jellious when you tell them you replaced yours in under 20 minutes. Before you start chasing things I would reclean your battery terminals and start with your battery and its connection. Can you move either connector? If you can there is probably corrosion under there and clean them spotless and tighten. What voltage is your battery? Your battery could be starting to die too and a clicking usually is not enough power to engage your starter. When it won't start turn on your lights and hit your inside lights and horn. Do them dim?

·
Registered
749 Posts
How old is your battery? Failing cells in a battery will create all sorts of issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't see any dimming of the interior or dash Panel and just a tiny bit in the headlights when I crank it up. I haven't noticed any dimming when it won't start either but will look closer. The battery is a 12V and is about 3 years old, warranty is good for 5 1/2yrs. I completely replaced the terminals last week, they were pretty bad, and still had the problem on Saturday.

I looked at the starter location today and it does seem pretty easy to remove with just one exhaust support in the way of one of the connector bolts. The terminal at the starter did not look too fouled. I think I am going to dig in and re-build the starter myself. The new solenoid kit is really cheap. Yeah I watched some videos about removing the starter on other toyotas and think it is going to be a lot easier than them. There actually seems like a lot of room down there.

I also called the dealer and they did not sell just the battery cables and told me I had to buy a whole new harness for $1200. Not gonna do that. If I have to, I'll rebuild the one I have but I'm pretty sure it is the solenoid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts