Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2005 limited w/ rear air suspension. 130k miles. Some mornings, but not every morning...once or twice a week, the rear air bags will be empty and the back end is squatted down. Start her up, the compressor kicks on, airs them up to normal, and all is ok. The rest of the time, the other 5 or 6 days a week, its perfectly fine....right where it should be. I don't notice any problems with the ride, and don't suspect bad shocks at this point....but I don't rule anything out just yet. Has anyone experienced something similar? Trying to troubleshoot this. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding. If that were the case, wouldn't it slowly leak out every day? Looking in the repair manual, I see the exhaust solenoid valve (part which drains the air when height is lowered) is built into the compressor. Could this part just get stuck intermittently, and let the air out on occasion like I'm seeing?

I need to catch it in the act, which I've been unable to do...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2005 Limited with 147k miles that has a very similar intermittent problem. Over the last few weeks it has occurred more frequently. Visited the dealer today and was told that both air suspension bags and shocks need to be replaced -$1100+. They said both air bags were leaking.

I had expected them to find some leak with the air lines or an issue with the exhaust solenoid valve that you mention, but not the bags. Thoughts?

Where is the compressor located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, i had the same problem and it finally bottom out. Took it to two dealers and one had the car for three days and still couldn't figure it out. The other dealer knew exactly what the problem was because he fixed 3 sequoias with the same issue. As a matter of fact, he had a truck waiting to be repaired with the same problem the day i brought my vehicle in. It appears the air suspension in the 2005 are air bags that can malfunction and deflate at any time. The suvs with the coils are better and can last a lifetime. The air bags are junk and instead of replacing them it is better to have the entire system taken out and replace with the old fashion coils or you may be back again with the airbags. The cost $3,200. Ouch! I was pissed.
I had no choice but to get it done.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have some factory rear springs off my 2004 SR5 left over after my lift. i'd let them go for cheap if anyone wants to remove this system all together.. just PM me and i'll get them to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
would you mind telling me what they had to replace, I've got a horrible feeling that I might be headed down that road. I replaced the ride height sensor to the tune of 400 bucks two days ago. air bags worked and now i'm back, to square one. I would like to know what the actual fix was. thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow that's really cool of you. I was told by a friend of mine (Toyota dealer) that the SR5 springs are more realiable then the
one in the "limited" vehicles. He said the air bags for the suspension in the "limited" vehicles are garbage and would eventually have to be replaced sooner or later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
would you mind telling me what they had to replace, I've got a horrible feeling that I might be headed down that road. I replaced the ride height sensor to the tune of 400 bucks two days ago. air bags worked and now i'm back, to square one. I would like to know what the actual fix was. thanks, in advance.
I have had the same problem for the last 2 or 3 months. Any updates on the specific problem or are people just replacing the whole system? Surely, it is just one component that needs to be replaced or repaired.

thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Willapus,

Same issue here for about 5 months. 1st noticed rear randomly sitting on the axle after sitting over night. Now it is down after only 2 or 3 hours.

After much research and not finding the exact behavior anywhere on these forums, I believe overuse of the compressor is going to create a different issue.

My current thinking is the exhaust solenoid not completely closing. I have been parking with the ride height at the high level and it sticks there overnight so air leaks at normal position only.

The part is $225 at the local dealership. Gonna have a look down there tomorrow and will post something if I'm able to get it fixed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been having the same issue, but mine leaks down in 15min, so I knew there was something serious going on. The best way to find the source of the problem is to take some dishsoap and water mixed in a spray bottle and crank the bags up full height. Spray everything related to the air system and watch for the bubbles to find the leak. Focus on the airline fittings, top and bottom of the bags.
The top side of one of my bags is leaking quite bad, and I would never have guessed it would be there as opposed to the bottom of the bag, but start there and also spray the whole pump as mine was corroded and may also have contributed. We pulled it out, tore it down and cleaned it up thinking it was seized (but it was a dead battery in that case) but it needed attention anyway. It is right behind the driver rear wheel inside the bumper, and if you are driving on salty roads as I am, it aint pretty under there....
Good luck with it - I am thinking of going OME springs anyway as I want to lift it 2.5, unless I get a replacement bag cheap. When I do, I`ll put the bags up for sale here.

Many guys here are replacing the bags with OEM springs from the 100 series Landcruiser, which is a 1.5" lift over stock height, perfect for the average trailer hauler as it has a slightly higher weight rating. There are a bunch of threads in here about those upgrades.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Attn: Old Thread......

I have a 2005 Sequoia that exhibits very similar symptoms.

1.) Suspension seems to go "flat" on both sides when left parked "sometimes" It might not go flat 4 out of 5 times, but when it does, it does pretty quick.
2.) Seems to be much worse when you put a load in the vehicle.... i.e. 6 sweaty 14 year old boys from football practice. The suspension will flatten out while driving that makes it ride like a log truck. It will eventually "fault" the system and need to be reset before it will work again. There is some info on some fail safe that if the compressor runs for more than 90 sec - it automatically disables the "manual mode" and shuts the compressor down for 5 minutes. If it happens again soon, it shuts down for 70 min. It eventually stores a fault code in the controller. This is explained in the service manual. I have had to reset mine twice in the past 3 weeks.

What is frustrating, is it doesn't seem to be tied to one air bag or the other.... as it is never flat on one side and not the other. I have taken the solenoid valve off and inspected it. There are two solenoid valves in one housing. It appears there is one solenoid for both bags and one for one of the bags. I am not sure how it "knows" when only one bag needs air, because there is only one "level" sensor on the rear end. It has no way to know if one side is higher or lower than the other.

So......

1.) Mine leaks down occasionally. Seems to be totally random but increases frequency dramatically when heavy loaded - i.e. 6 150# boys or a small trailer.

2.) Mine will run the compressor sometimes long enough to "fault" the system - eventually causing it to need to be cleared or reset by jumping 2 pins on the OBD2 connector and pumping the brake pedal 8 times in
5 sec.... I think it is. Then cycling power.

I have ordered some orings and a small insert that goes between the orings for this solenoid valve to try these maybe next..... my gut feel is that the solenoid valve is occasionally leaking the air back into the compressor. If the solenoid didn't leak after the bags were aired up....... there would be no where for the air to escape. Otherwise it would leak all the time. My theory is that when the bags are inflated and the compressor is off..... the solenoid is the last line of defense before the pressure bleeds back off.

If I could make it do it every time, I might be able to figure out the part that is bad - through elimination. I don't like to attack problems by throwing money at it. I want to know what part is bad.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
472 Posts
The symptoms suggest that one or both air bags are leaking. The bags are plumbed together, so if one side has a leak, both deflate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the same problem for the last 2 or 3 months. Any updates on the specific problem or are people just replacing the whole system? Surely, it is just one component that needs to be replaced or repaired.

thanks.
So , I ended up having to take mine to a dealer. They found a tiny leak in one of the bags when the suspension was fully extended. We replace the both bags and I haven't had any more trouble from them over the last year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Willapus,

Same issue here for about 5 months. 1st noticed rear randomly sitting on the axle after sitting over night. Now it is down after only 2 or 3 hours.

After much research and not finding the exact behavior anywhere on these forums, I believe overuse of the compressor is going to create a different issue.

My current thinking is the exhaust solenoid not completely closing. I have been parking with the ride height at the high level and it sticks there overnight so air leaks at normal position only.

The part is $225 at the local dealership. Gonna have a look down there tomorrow and will post something if I'm able to get it fixed.
I have been having the same issue, but mine leaks down in 15min, so I knew there was something serious going on. The best way to find the source of the problem is to take some dishsoap and water mixed in a spray bottle and crank the bags up full height. Spray everything related to the air system and watch for the bubbles to find the leak. Focus on the airline fittings, top and bottom of the bags.
The top side of one of my bags is leaking quite bad, and I would never have guessed it would be there as opposed to the bottom of the bag, but start there and also spray the whole pump as mine was corroded and may also have contributed. We pulled it out, tore it down and cleaned it up thinking it was seized (but it was a dead battery in that case) but it needed attention anyway. It is right behind the driver rear wheel inside the bumper, and if you are driving on salty roads as I am, it aint pretty under there....
Good luck with it - I am thinking of going OME springs anyway as I want to lift it 2.5, unless I get a replacement bag cheap. When I do, I`ll put the bags up for sale here.

Many guys here are replacing the bags with OEM springs from the 100 series Landcruiser, which is a 1.5" lift over stock height, perfect for the average trailer hauler as it has a slightly higher weight rating. There are a bunch of threads in here about those upgrades.
Attn: Old Thread......

I have a 2005 Sequoia that exhibits very similar symptoms.

1.) Suspension seems to go "flat" on both sides when left parked "sometimes" It might not go flat 4 out of 5 times, but when it does, it does pretty quick.
2.) Seems to be much worse when you put a load in the vehicle.... i.e. 6 sweaty 14 year old boys from football practice. The suspension will flatten out while driving that makes it ride like a log truck. It will eventually "fault" the system and need to be reset before it will work again. There is some info on some fail safe that if the compressor runs for more than 90 sec - it automatically disables the "manual mode" and shuts the compressor down for 5 minutes. If it happens again soon, it shuts down for 70 min. It eventually stores a fault code in the controller. This is explained in the service manual. I have had to reset mine twice in the past 3 weeks.

What is frustrating, is it doesn't seem to be tied to one air bag or the other.... as it is never flat on one side and not the other. I have taken the solenoid valve off and inspected it. There are two solenoid valves in one housing. It appears there is one solenoid for both bags and one for one of the bags. I am not sure how it "knows" when only one bag needs air, because there is only one "level" sensor on the rear end. It has no way to know if one side is higher or lower than the other.

So......

1.) Mine leaks down occasionally. Seems to be totally random but increases frequency dramatically when heavy loaded - i.e. 6 150# boys or a small trailer.

2.) Mine will run the compressor sometimes long enough to "fault" the system - eventually causing it to need to be cleared or reset by jumping 2 pins on the OBD2 connector and pumping the brake pedal 8 times in
5 sec.... I think it is. Then cycling power.

I have ordered some orings and a small insert that goes between the orings for this solenoid valve to try these maybe next..... my gut feel is that the solenoid valve is occasionally leaking the air back into the compressor. If the solenoid didn't leak after the bags were aired up....... there would be no where for the air to escape. Otherwise it would leak all the time. My theory is that when the bags are inflated and the compressor is off..... the solenoid is the last line of defense before the pressure bleeds back off.

If I could make it do it every time, I might be able to figure out the part that is bad - through elimination. I don't like to attack problems by throwing money at it. I want to know what part is bad.
The symptoms suggest that one or both air bags are leaking. The bags are plumbed together, so if one side has a leak, both deflate.

thanks.
So , I ended up having to take mine to a dealer. They found a tiny leak in one of the bags when the suspension was fully extended. We replace the both bags and I haven't had any more trouble from them over the last year.

Just wanted to add i had same problem with my 2006 Toyota sequoia limited 4x4. Exactly the same. This post nailed it. Its the air bags if these are your problems. Bite the bullet and spend the money. Easy fix in comparison to the 6 months to figure out

·
Registered
19 Posts
I didn't realize that the limited had the air suspension. We have an sr5 with the normal strut setup. I thought staying away from the lexus suv would have been safe. Since we keep our vehicles for a while, i didn't want to ever replace an air suspension because of the price.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
472 Posts
I didn't realize that the limited had the air suspension. We have an sr5 with the normal strut setup. I thought staying away from the lexus suv would have been safe. Since we keep our vehicles for a while, i didn't want to ever replace an air suspension because of the price.
Not all Limited models have the rear air suspension. The air suspension is part of the Luxury package, which includes the 2nd-row captains chairs and center console, memory seats/mirrors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not all Limited models have the rear air suspension. The air suspension is part of the Luxury package, which includes the 2nd-row captains chairs and center console, memory seats/mirrors.
Good to know. i'll have to keep this in mind for the next one we buy. I prefer to go for reliability and lesser expensive repairs since i replace most of my parts.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
472 Posts
When I bought mine, I specifically wanted the 2nd row captains chairs to allow easy access to the third row. I didn't realize that the air suspension was bundled also.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts