Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new(er) 2006 Sequoia Limited owner of 4 months (130K on vehicle) and am experiencing an odd intermittent rumbling type noise from the front end. Sometimes when approaching and at freeway speeds it has a rumbling sound that seems to fall short of "grinding", but other times when at the same speeds on the same stretch of freeway it's not noticeable at all. Today while driving at about 35-40 mph on a highway it seemed very pronounced. While returning on the same road later at about the same speeds, there was nothing.

I've been trying to research online and I'm seeing a few possibilities:

Wheel bearing? It would seem to me that it would be constant without the intermittent frequency we're experiencing though?

CV Joint? I don't really know how they work, so I'm not sure what to think.

This is one of those odd situations where you can't ask the mechanic to test drive it, because Murphy's Law says it won't be present. Other than a "rumbling" type sensation, it's difficult to otherwise describe. It sounds/feels like it's coming from the front right.

Can anyone point me the right direction? Thanks, and I look forward to learning from ya'll's collective knowledge bank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a similar front end mystery noise that I plan on chasing as a bearing issue, R.F. is my guess, but def want gone.
Ordered a Toyota Ft WB and have to press new UCA/LCAs, Inner/Outer Tie Rods, Steering Rack Bushings and End Links, Bilstein5100s front and back, new discs and pads, Upper/Lower Ball Jts,.....
So will check closer once I get the prep and R&R time in driveway and week off of work.
I hope it is just a bearing, but either way that whirring noise gotta go!!!
Good Luck, and will update once I find out.
And then another 100K of uninterrupted driving in comfort & style.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rotate your tires and see if the rumbling goes away or moves. I recently resolved a rumbling noise when I replaced my tires. I thought it was either a bearing, driveshaft, u-joint, or rear diff issue initially, but I replaced the tires and magically it disappeared.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Are these 4wd trucks? SirLancelot referenced a CV axle, so I'm guessing it is. Something to consider is the needle bearing on the driver's side of the front diff. I replaced mine and it definitely took away some rumbling noise/feeling that I had going on. Didn't solve everything but with 370k, I'm really just trying to take care of the low hanging fruit and keep running it. Google East Coast Gear Supply toyota clamshell bushing. There are lots of threads, although a lot of them are in Tacoma and 4Runner forums. The front Diff is basically the same, though.

XSnrg06limited - I replaced both front bearings (along with the rears). It definitely made a serious improvement ride quality but like the bearing mentioned above, didn't solve all issues. Upper and Lower control arm bushings, tie rods, etc. are on my list for the next couple of months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I think I figured it out, with the help of people smarter than myself. We had two issues that I knew needed to be addressed:

1) vibrating noise from front end, and
2) air suspension in the rear was going out

I made an appointment with our mechanic to try to diagnose the intermittent noise we were hearing, but didn't think it was relevant to mention the air bags needing to be replaced, as I thought they were two separate issues. A friend of mine suggested they might actually be connected, as the vibrating/rumbling sensation we were feeling/hearing at times might just be the compressor kicking on with the noise/vibrations transferring through the chassis and appearing to be from the front of the truck. My friend and later my mechanic both said they were probably totally related to each other.

I had already ordered replacement air bags off Amazon ($116 each) and installed those yesterday. That fixed the air suspension issue and so far after a road trip yesterday (100+ miles) and some driving today (20+ miles) we haven't had a single odd noise whatsoever. Looks like the noise we were hearing WAS the compressor kicking on and somehow getting amplified by driving and sounding as if it was from the front of the vehicle. Problem solved (so far)!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are these 4wd trucks? SirLancelot referenced a CV axle, so I'm guessing it is. Something to consider is the needle bearing on the driver's side of the front diff. I replaced mine and it definitely took away some rumbling noise/feeling that I had going on. Didn't solve everything but with 370k, I'm really just trying to take care of the low hanging fruit and keep running it. Google East Coast Gear Supply toyota clamshell bushing. There are lots of threads, although a lot of them are in Tacoma and 4Runner forums. The front Diff is basically the same, though.

XSnrg06limited - I replaced both front bearings (along with the rears). It definitely made a serious improvement ride quality but like the bearing mentioned above, didn't solve all issues. Upper and Lower control arm bushings, tie rods, etc. are on my list for the next couple of months.
Thanks for the reinforcement of my suspicions/conclusions. Inspection is upcoming, but damned if it isn't The Season in my Gig(Union Stagehand/Studio Mechanic) on a Rotating(sorta) Call List, so getting enuf time to do Whole Front End is still sketchy.
Again, Everyone's feedback and input is Invaluable and Greatly Appreciated all around.

Enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts