Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking around at stuff to build a recovery kit and started thinking...

Where do you actually spend your money?
Do you spend it in a store front shop or order off the internet?
Does the size of the item make a difference, Tow straps and shackles vs. bumpers and winches?

Not only am I looking to satisfy my curiosity but I'm looking for suggestions of favorite stores and websites.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I usually buy off the internet, I ordered a Hi-lift jack recovery kit (the thing that makes it into a come-a-long) off of Ebay, but I am planning on making a massive order from OffRoadRecovery Warehouse Vehicle recovery winches, tire deflators, tow kits, jerry cans, co2 tanks, snatch block primarily Staun Internal Beadlocks and the Black Rat Recovery Winch.

In Tyler, Tractor Supply has a large amount of high grade shackles, including some Warn recovery equipment and Hi-lift Jacks. I bought my 30,000 lb tractor snatch um strap from there as well as some 7,000 lb "tree-savers" which they had listed for some farming purpose. If I remember correctly they also have a very large come-a-long unit that may be rated to 5500, or 7500 I am not completely sure.

Buying online is generally cheaper I found, but nothing beats running down to the store and getting your stuff right then!

-Mack

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like to do both types of shopping.
If ordering online, make sure that you know all of the costs up front and ask about return policy (especially for heavy items).

I have the recovery kit for my hilift, too. I haven't had to use it yet, though (knock on wood).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a bit of an insomniac so I like to shop on the internet at night. During the day I like to go to storefronts to shop. If I can find a smaller mom and pop type place to spend my money I will. I would rather give my business to a small owner operated shop for whatever I need to buy rather than going to any chain. As long as I can get what I want with good service that is, even if it costs a little more or I have to wait a couple more days. Sometimes thought I just gotta get what I need and get it now.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
We do a bunch of online shopping, we are 100+ miles from Vegas. Not much here in town either

I have had great succes from ordering Honda Generators,Chain saws to rain gutters for the house and everything in between.
We check the stores prior to ordering and so far have not had many horror stories.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
My buddy just bought a bull bar online, when he opened the package it was dented, so he sent it back.

They sent him another, and it was dented too, this time they didn't want to take it back. They suggested he contact the shipping company.

They said they would give him $100 for it, and they wanted the bull bar. He paid a lot more for it, and they said it was only insured for $50.

It all sounds whacky to me.

So just make sure they have the proper amount of insurance on it before it gets sent.9

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I bought my tow strap and shackles from a mennonite owned shop about 40 minutes away. It's basically one of the best supply places in the area. Everything is cheaper there and they have great help.

I buy lots of stuff online, but if I can I'll just go to the store and buy it. I hate paying for shipping :mad:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I pretty much shop and buy online. Vermont doesnt have much for off-road, performance... well hell... it doesnt have much of anything! The closest "performance" shop I found was years ago over in Manchester, NH at the mall. Mostly just a bunch of bling-bling garbage. There are a few places around that carries the line, take for instance Warn, but they dont have anything in stock. So, by the time you pay the retail, maybe even a special order cost, shipping, tax.. I might as well order it off line, save some money and buy some other goodies while I'm at it and have it overnighted. Computer stuff is obsolutely overpriced. Newegg baby! Albuquerque, Charlotte and some bigger areas were a lot better, since there was actually some competition and more demand. Besides, like how Howard Dean talked about Vermont, most of us are driving around 20 year old boxes of **** because VT is full of dumb farmers, not much money in Vermont except at the ski resorts. Then again, those arent owned by Vermonters... not much of Vermont is nowadays.

Now, if I owned a Rover, Discovery, etc I would be in the perfect town since DAP is pretty much down the hill from here...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great question!

Living in San Diego (off road capital of the World) offers alot of storefront options for me....although the pricing on the internet is very attractive.

I think it boils down to service and turn around time for customer service, as the above Bull Bar experience exemplifies. I purchased a Hi Lift jack from Off Road Warehouse in San Marcos, and they took the time to demonstrate its operation right after I purchased it.

I guess that answers your question, I probably favor storefront 70% of the time, shopping and cost cutting on the internet the other 30%.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts