Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, to all toyota fans. My name is Tony and I live here in the Peoples Rebublic of New Jersey.
Heard about you from a friend.
I have a 1997 Land cruiser for 10 yrs. Needless to say I love the thing to death.
It has 206k miles, change the oil every 3500 religously, Runs perfect.
It has never failed me, I really do preventive maintence on her, brakes, tires, fluids, etc.
Here is my delema: I live at the jersey shore and I have no garage so the paint is starting to go. The interior looks almost new.
I would love to keep it till 300 k, is it worth painting it?
I know Maaco does it cheap , so is their work.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Regards to all.
Tony

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
How bad is the paint? Is it just faded, or is it actually flaking or peeling off? I would never, and I seriously mean never take a care to something like Maaco. A decent cheap paint job will require a ton of work and cost you at least $3000 with a good buddy discount. They have to remove all the trim, windows etc to do it right. They have to prep it correctly and use the right materials which cost money. If you can salvage the paint, I recommend it even if you just need to paint a couple panels or buff them out. If you want a factory looking paint again, you can plan on spending a few grand easily.

Good luck!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've heard some MAACOs actually do decent work. The quality varies depending on where you go but probably on average isn't on par with what you'd get at a good bodyshop. When you're dealing with MAACO you gotta get referrals from those who are the know about which ones lay down a decent paint job. And another area where there is often miscommunication is usually their cheaper packages do not include prep and body work, only maybe scuffing whats there and spraying paint over it. I've heard of people who've bought them completely stripped, sanded, and taped vehicles for paint that were happy with the results, but not so many who actually let them do the whole job.

I wouldn't go show-quality paint job on a 200 thousand mile vehicle so MAACO may actually not be a bad idea if you get referred to a decent one and get a reasonable deal on body-work, which is where the real expense is. If you live in an area that's harsh on paint, it may be worth it to get something that looks decent layed down but not necessarily to go show quality or anything like that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
DO NOT TAKE IT TO MAACO!! I was recomended to supposedly the best Maaco around, Spent the extra money to get the job done right, and they painted my truck the wrong color, and put a dent in it!! When I confronted them about it, they said because the original paint was a single stage, and I asked for a clear coat, they looked different. Then they tried to check the VIN, ( 71 GMC 4x4) but said the glove box door was not the original, I said " did you match it to the door frame VIN?" reply-- NO. And finally, they broke my ignition key, and had a locksmith come out and make a new one. When it was done the paint jopb was crap! Runs on the panel edges, and fisheyes throughout.

If your Crusher needs paint, take it to a high end bodyshop, that repairs Lexus' and Mercedes'. It will cost you, but it will be done right. Dont cheap out! Dont make the same mistake I did. You will regret it. Also you might try taking it to a good detailer and see if the can bring the paint back to life. Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts