Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my '07 DC on order, I went ahead and ordered a USA SPEC adapter to control my iPod. I'd like to keep my iPod in the top glovebox, as I don't think I'll use that storage for anything else. I for sure want to keep it out of sight.

What's everyone decided to do with theirs?

Thanks!

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
me too...I've got 8 gigs of Chris Ledoux, George Strait, and Gary Allan itchin' to hit those speakers...I reckon we just need a cable for the iPod with a 2.5mm plug (coax?) on the end.:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
With my '07 DC on order, I went ahead and ordered a USA SPEC adapter to control my iPod. I'd like to keep my iPod in the top glovebox, as I don't think I'll use that storage for anything else. I for sure want to keep it out of sight.

Thanks!
Routing cables? Seems like overkill to me. My setup is pretty simple:

I keep my double ended male stereo mini plug cable in the little pocket (Radio Shack only had a 6' cable whereas I could have gotten by with a 1' or 2' cable )

And I just plug it when I need it:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, a simple mini-jack cord will get sound from A to B, but that's not all I'm trying to do. I'm getting an integration kit so I can view track name on the stereo LCD, and be able to control the iPod from the stereo/steering wheel controls. This method will also charge the iPod as it uses the dock connector.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I throw it in the console (bench seat). Anyone notice that you cant get the I pod loud enough. THe gain on this connection is pretty anemic..

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

Thanks!
I have a USA Spec adapter in the wifes car and she loves it. It works great.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I throw it in the console (bench seat). Anyone notice that you cant get the I pod loud enough. THe gain on this connection is pretty anemic..
It's a little better if you use a line out but still seems a bit low compared to the others.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Yes, a simple mini-jack cord will get sound from A to B, but that's not all I'm trying to do. I'm getting an integration kit so I can view track name on the stereo LCD, and be able to control the iPod from the stereo/steering wheel controls. This method will also charge the iPod as it uses the dock connector.
Ahhh yes, I bought that module for my Corvette...spent some dough on it and they didn't even have the right wireing harness for the C6. I held on to it though, so maybe I'll give it a shot in the tundra...yes it ought to give you a graphic interface on the head unit (navi too?), I wonder about the steering wheel controls...hmmmm

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
In the wifes car, yes, it does keep the steering wheel controls. But she has the headunit readout turned off because its so much quicker to scroll thru the ipod to find what you want then it is to do it thru the headunit. You could get in a wreck before you find what youre looking for. Using the ipod itself is alot easier. Hers just plugs into the "aux" input in the rear of the factory headunit so she loses no factory audio control functions. Literally took me about 10 mins to install it, and it sounds great.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I would update everyone on this. I put in the PA12-TOY in no time. The dash is really easy to take apart. I ended up using velcro to put the device onto the top of the cigarette lighter/aux power/storage piece. I just brought the cable through the cigarette lighter hole, as I don't need the lighter.

The PA12-TOY works pretty well, but I do have an issue. When in playlist mode (so I can see title/artist text), The iPod won't regain control of itself. When you hook it up, it changes to the screen to a custom screen. When I unplug it that screen doesn't go away. The only way I can get control back is to plug in the dock connector from another source. I haven't looked into it much yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I'm with Justa Bum. I found a 12" male stereo cable, at Radio Shack, and use the front aux port. I have a Dell DJ 30 so ipod controls won't work for me anyway. I use the 12v outlet to the right of the cigarette lighter and have endless power and tunes. Try seting the ASC to high. It helps get more sound out of the stock speakers. My 07' DC SR5 does not have steering wheel controls anyway. I am a low tech redneck. LOL. Besides I fear the dash rattle demons will come to life if I mess around behind there. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's a little better if you use a line out but still seems a bit low compared to the others.
iVolume. Turn up the gain on the tracks themselves in iTunes. It works quite nicely, just have to watch out on overdoing it producing distortion and clipping.

Also, there's a nifty device I use when I mow called the Boostaroo:
http://www.boostaroo.com/.
It works quite well, is compact, and could probably be modified to accept 12VDC to allow for hardwiring behind the dash.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Anyone know if the [SIZE=-1]PA12TOY will work with the single disc base radio?
[/SIZE]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I would like to be able to run a ipod wire like they have in the Scion tC's. I loved the one in my tC and it worked great. I am using the AUX input right now but i would rather have a different connection. I would like to be able to control the ipod on the screen and have it charge as well from the cord unlike the method i am currently using. Anyone now as to how i can do this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts