Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, quick i have 2 days, till the sale is over.
does anyone have a IPT tranny?
tell me all about it?
warrenty, customer service, how is it VS oem?
any & all info if you have 1.
since it's over 3g's i wouldn't think to many have 1.
but i could be dead wrong.
but if you do, you can either private messaage me, or post?

i read there info on there web site, but as we all know, having 1, you know better.
and can really explain the pro's & any con's. beside the price.
thankyou in advance,
gorilla

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, i will.
but i would 1st like some real input, from people who has the tranny already.
that info is priceless, & will help with questions.
thanks,
gorilla

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I have IPT valve body installed on my trans and love it. But if you want to spend $3000+ on transmission, I would definitely contact John at IPT and talk to him about all aspects of IPT transmission.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Contact member JJC. I believe Jonathan has one from IPT.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Contact member JJC. I believe Jonathan has one from IPT.
Not yet....still saving up my nickles and dimes :D!

But my friend just had them rework his valve body and torque converter in his 4Runner and he absolutely loves it.

I've ordered a trans cooler from John and a few other small items and have bugged the hell out of him on the phone, seems like a really good guy to work with and always willing to discuss tech questions with you.

I will have them rebuild my entire trans and torque converter in the near future for sure.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, i'll give them a call. i posted in the IPT section & they already responded & told me who to talk to.
honestly i also sent sparks a message.
not that i need a tranny. i want to be ready. so to have 1 on the shelf ready to drop in would be nice.
i want to see what sparks prices are on a brand new 1.compared to IPT.
also there is a performence tranny shop that buy's kits & rebuild yours. i'm sure IPT sells a kit, or they have contacts.
so it would be nice to have 1 totally built W/ a new torque converter, drop 1 & put 1 in.
so i'm trying to decide.
3375 is alot.
usually they have a 1year warrenty
where toyota would give you way more, if brand new.
but i haven't got the pricing yet. i contacted everyone, & should have the answers by the end of today.
now that my wife has gone to europe, & N.Y & is going on another trip next week. my daughter has her new car a honda civic. i ordered my wifes tires.
it's time for ME again,
gorilla
gorilla

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Hey Gorilla,

Is it going into your 05 tundra? It would be awesome if you wrote a review of it after the install. I'm hitting 90k in my truck,
so I'm interested in getting mine swapped or rebuilt.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi, i'm still doing reseach on this.
i found out that shipping isn't a big deal, which i 1st thought was.
i looked up shipping rates for many 05-06 tranny's. 99% want $150max to ship it to my door.
it's also crated.
so before i do this move, i need to know if it's worth it.

i already found at least 10 trannys used of couse some rebuilt. with a 2 year warrenty for 1500 or less.
some even $800 plus shipping. some 1g & they include the shipping.
this for all of us is a good to know.

to be honest, i have to rethink this.
since i could buy 3 for the price of 1 IPT.
i found some trannys with less than 20,000 miles on them with a warrenty.
1 with a 2year warrenty & fully rebuilt.
you know if they offer that kind of warrenty they really rebuilt it.
i was amazed at how many are available.

i have ask ipt tommorrow all my questions.
what parts do they change?
what are the upgrades?
is it a brand new tranny, than they up-grade it.
what did they do to the torque converter.
does it have a shift kit?
etc...
i saw the IPT ad w/free shipping & it almost had me.
i have to make many calls tommorrow.
but i'm now leaning the other way, due to there cost.
it is most likely worth every penny.
i have to take a serious look.
gorilla

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
hi, i'm still doing reseach on this.
i found out that shipping isn't a big deal, which i 1st thought was.
i looked up shipping rates for many 05-06 tranny's. 99% want $150max to ship it to my door.
it's also crated.
so before i do this move, i need to know if it's worth it.

i already found at least 10 trannys used of couse some rebuilt. with a 2 year warrenty for 1500 or less.
some even $800 plus shipping. some 1g & they include the shipping.
this for all of us is a good to know.

to be honest, i have to rethink this.
since i could buy 3 for the price of 1 IPT.
i found some trannys with less than 20,000 miles on them with a warrenty.
1 with a 2year warrenty & fully rebuilt.
you know if they offer that kind of warrenty they really rebuilt it.
i was amazed at how many are available.

i have ask ipt tommorrow all my questions.
what parts do they change?
what are the upgrades?
is it a brand new tranny, than they up-grade it.
what did they do to the torque converter.
does it have a shift kit?
etc...
i saw the IPT ad w/free shipping & it almost had me.
i have to make many calls tommorrow.
but i'm now leaning the other way, due to there cost.
it is most likely worth every penny.
i have to take a serious look.
gorilla
Gorilla, the decision matrix is defined by what you want the tranny to do for you. If all you need is a typical OEM-spec road transmission, then the $1500 packages will do you fine. Maybe.

If you are towing, boosting, pulling hills, etc and you see the benefit of upgraded clutch packs, high-flow solenoids, tuned valve bodies, heat-treated splines and shafts, increased fluid flow/pressure, etc then the IPT transmission is going to probably be the last one you'll ever have to install in your truck.

When the funds free up, I will be sending my valve body to John to have the modification work done. That alone will do a lot to help preserve the integrity and long-term performance of the A340X.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi, i do alot of 1/8 & 1/4 mile racing. 0 to 60 & road course racing, where my disabled limitor is a god sent.
so i know it's only a matter of time before it will go.
i spoke with several shops & they said toyota's tranny's will hold up for what you are doing.
like you said. i don't pull, no real hills where i live.
so i assume all you mentioned is done with a IPT tranny.
good to know.
gorilla

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi all, up date,
i contacted IPT, & honestly i don't want to pay retail.
i own a business, on that note, that allows me to pay wholesale, or dealer rates.
i don't pay retail at any dealership, i show my business licenses, & i get at wholesale.
i have bought parts for everyone i know at wholesale rates.

with that said, i contacted LEVEL 10. check them out.
they seem to be willing to be more helpful.
but we shall see.

also IPT do not have anything in stock.
they need yours, whatever you want to re-build such as valve body.
well take your tranny apart, & send it out. they will redo yours & send it back.
same with the torque converter, & a full tranny build.

if this is the case, i will look for a great deal on a tranny, & direct ship it to either IPT or LEVEL 10.
this way, i have no down time.

tommorrow i will contact LEVEL 10 directly, & speak with them as to in stock, pricing.

at least you all now have some real info, just in case.

why should i at this point take out a perfectly good tranny with 40,000 miles on it.
i think at this point, i'm better off buying the $700 tranny & direct ship it to IPT or LEVEL 10.
gorilla

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I plan on buying an '04 model trans and having it drop shipped directly to IPT.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
I plan on buying an '04 model trans and having it drop shipped directly to IPT.
Can you just drop ship it to my house... :D If my current tranny goes, I plan on getting an 04-06 model to replace it. My second tranny is at about the same mileage as when the infamous OD explosion is suppose to happen. :unsure3d:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Gorilla
Do you have any updates on this subject? I would like to at least upgrade my valve body...

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
467 Posts
my 2 cents!!!!

ipt super expensive.. and the only ones that advertise the valve body for toyotas.. i tried contacting them.. but i juss got frustrated.. and i needed my truck running asap

but my trans shop here in LA.. did an amazing job with my a340 trans on my v6 motor.. shifted super hard.. never slipped a gear with the supercharger at 16lbs of boost.. pushing some 33x12's .. later i got my tq stall lowered to 1200 .. man.. was i pulling hard out the hole!!!

its not that hard to the valve body ...

·
Registered
108 Posts
my 2 cents!!!!

ipt super expensive.. and the only ones that advertise the valve body for toyotas.. i tried contacting them.. but i juss got frustrated.. and i needed my truck running asap

but my trans shop here in LA.. did an amazing job with my a340 trans on my v6 motor.. shifted super hard.. never slipped a gear with the supercharger at 16lbs of boost.. pushing some 33x12's .. later i got my tq stall lowered to 1200 .. man.. was i pulling hard out the hole!!!

its not that hard to the valve body ...
Why did you just get frustrated? I will probably end up contacting level 10. They offer a DIY valve body kit.

Mike

·
Registered
467 Posts
Why did you just get frustrated? I will probably end up contacting level 10. They offer a DIY valve body kit.

Mike

when you dont get a reply back after a couple days.. people tend to get frustrated when your truck isnt going anywhere.

and the valve body juss depends how hard the spring among other things you change.. i got my valve body changed out completely and rebuilt

·
Registered
108 Posts
when you dont get a reply back after a couple days.. people tend to get frustrated when your truck isnt going anywhere.
I'm confused. Did you try to contact them for info about parts, and they never got back to you? Or did they have your parts for some obscene amount of time. I will admit, they are pretty pricey. For that much they should have a warranty.

M

1 - 19 of 19 Posts