Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Iridium power plugs and horse power

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Mazutoytundra 
:) My experience with iridium plugs was first in my Honda twin motorcycle. It was very hard to start, just about draining the battery each time and the plugs didn't look too worn. I changed to iridium and almost instant starting! The advantage is with iridium the electrode can be much thinner which means less electrical power needed for greater voltage across the gap. The smaller the area on the electrode tip, the higher the voltage across the gap for the same input, or something to that effect, as the electrical input is much more concentrated on a narrow tip. Now in my Tundra I didn't notice nearly the great difference between the old standard and new iridium plugs. Probably because a Tundra has a good coil output, but I'll stick with them just because they work so well in my Honda. Because of the hardness of iridium, the electrode can be thinner (narrower) for greater spark ability. I wouldn't count on them lasting any longer than others however as the electrode is thinner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.