Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Iridium power plugs and horse power

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Mazutoytundra 
#1 ·
I just added Denso Iridium Power Plugs (IK22) with the .4mm electrode to my super charged 03 V8 Tundra. Denso references a dyno test on a 03 super charged Mustang where HP increased from 300 to 330 horses. They say the plugs add only 3 or 4 HP to a normally aspirated motor. I’ve never seen much discussion on these plugs so hope to get your feedback. They cost $11.75 each but I changed them myself so no labor charges.
Also, any ideas on how many horses I actually have?
Toyota says 240 stock
TRD says +50% so add 140
TRD says 10 for the TRD exhaust
Estimate 30 for the IK22 plugs

Total 240+120+10+30=400
I do not want to overstate the HP so I ask if anyone can give me a better estimate, I would appreciate your input. All I know is the truck is very fast and very fun to drive.

#2 ·
I spent a few dollars on esoteric plugs over the years, all dragstrip tested, looking for a little more performance just for fun. I never found any. The trap some fall into is they see an increase after the plug change, but this is only because the old plugs were not in prime condition and needed replacing anyway. In other words the same benefit would be obtained by replacing the normal old plugs with normal new plugs of the same variant.

#3 ·
There is no such thing as just changing a spark plug and getting power.
However, in certain applications, depending on the temperature of the plug (colder steps) it can aid with forced induction and proper timing, which can in turn, add more power. This is after tuning of course.

#4 ·
Those plugs might be better for you because you are supercharged. But, they will not give you 30 horsepower. Maybe if that Mustang was running a 300 shot of N20 and a supercharger, with stock plugs running a HUGE gap because they were worn, then yes...maybe he gained some horsepower because it was missing and sputtering like crazy with the stock ones that were shot.

Use your common sense. Even a 300 dollar MSD which optimizes spark and multiplies the number of sparks on each cycle doesn't give you crazy amounts of horsepower. It simply optimizes the efficiency of a highly tuned engine that makes lots of power.

#5 ·
The IK22 plugs are not going to give you any more horsepower but they will be better for your SC engine. I've been running them for 4 years.

Rick

#6 ·
I cannot say I don't also have my doubts about the plugs adding horespower. I have never heard of that before either. If you read the Denso website information however it directs you to the test on the Mustang where the testing was done. We all have our preconceived ideas that this cannot be true but I was hoping someone else might have real life experience that would share their experience with us. I do not have the time, :) knowledge or money to run a test of any kind but I thought there might be some people that have done so. Perhaps the Mustang was tuned differently with the addition of the plugs but it sounded like that was the only change. In any case, thank you all for your input.

#7 ·
As I mentioned before, there is no such thing as drop in new plugs and gain power. With proper tuning, especially getting the timing perfect, you would notice an increase, albeit a small one, it would be there.

Efficiency = best power output in my opinion. Example would be un-tuned motor vs a tuned one. Easy to figure that one out! :tu:

#8 ·
:) My experience with iridium plugs was first in my Honda twin motorcycle. It was very hard to start, just about draining the battery each time and the plugs didn't look too worn. I changed to iridium and almost instant starting! The advantage is with iridium the electrode can be much thinner which means less electrical power needed for greater voltage across the gap. The smaller the area on the electrode tip, the higher the voltage across the gap for the same input, or something to that effect, as the electrical input is much more concentrated on a narrow tip. Now in my Tundra I didn't notice nearly the great difference between the old standard and new iridium plugs. Probably because a Tundra has a good coil output, but I'll stick with them just because they work so well in my Honda. Because of the hardness of iridium, the electrode can be thinner (narrower) for greater spark ability. I wouldn't count on them lasting any longer than others however as the electrode is thinner.

#9 ·
The plugs will not give you increased HP. It will make your motor more efficient. :cool:

I ran the Denso Iridiums IK16's on my N/A 02 Tacoma. No change in power or mileage. Just a sense of reassurrance that my truck has one of the best spark plugs in it. :tu:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.